Dynadot

discuss .LINK binge continues

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
".LINK is no worse than .XYZ".....like the .com loyalists despising the .xyz insurgence, the .xyz loyalists despise the .link insurgence.

While most of the really good "single word" .link domains have been registered still a few remain. For example, the day after Thanksgiving I was able to register Thankfulness.link that happens to be no worse than Thankfulness.xyz or Thankfulness.com.

In the way of an update.....domains under management aka DUM has grown from 200,000 to 221,000 since May, and 1,500 of those I've registered. In addition, i have it from some reliable sources that "Good News is Coming":xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Joe, i absolutely believe it. Conversations about domains with people in my own personal circle are non existent. Why? Because most old farts like me haven't a clue about domains. However the last conversation I had with the founder of iApp Systems at the gym revealed that he'd heard of .xyz, but not .link. He was slightly familiar with Snap Names, only because he brought it up.

Do you remember Jeannie McPherson of Verisign saying this about the domain aftermarket?

"But there is also an unregulated secondary market – led by domain speculators – hiding in plain sight. There, some speculators buy domain names at regulated low prices, then sell them at a far higher price. This secondary market is as old as the domain name system itself. However, since the wholesale price cap was imposed on .com in 2012, the secondary market has expanded in ways that exploit consumers."

Finally, i don't know "exactly" what the new owners of .LINK have up their sleeve, but I know they're pretty damn smart. Maybe even smarter than you and Brad together:xf.wink: Over the years I've invested in successful "turnarounds" where the Jockey/Jockeys have ridden their new horse/business to victory, and i'm here to cheer them on✌️
Do you not feel that markets naturally regulate themselves, Rich?

I know how fascinating those comments from Verisign are, but feel free to go out on a limb and express your own opinions on this topic.

•••
Never said .link is better than .com....see Joe Nichols explanation. I'll be using a lot of quotes like the following seen here when you ask Google "what does a link do";

"A link (short for hyperlink) is an HTML object that allows you to jump to a new location when you click or tap it. Links are found on almost every webpage and provide a simple means of navigating between pages on the web. Links can be attached to text, images, or other HTML elements"

In layman's terms this is sufficient enough explanation to justify .link as an extension imo:xf.wink:
Painful isn't the word.

•••
Painful isn't the word.
I don't know. I had no idea what a link was until the education by Rich. :ROFL:

The post by @Joe N really illustrates how Rich has jumped from idea to idea and extension to extension, doing the same thing over and over again with the same results.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The post by @Joe N really illustrates how Rich has jumped from idea to idea and extension to extension, doing the same thing over and over again with the same results.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Brad
It's fascinating seeing them all together like that! And if he had taken one or two of those ideas individually and followed through, they could have had some chance at success.

The thing about these "outside the box" efforts in domaining is that you really need to commit time and effort to them to see if they bear fruit. How long was Swetha building her .xyz portfolio before it started taking off? Five years?

Same with the early pioneers of the industry. How many years did they spend holding on to names while people laughed at them?

@ThatNameGuy, you do indeed have some interesting ideas that are worth pursuing, but you seem to get easily distracted. Is it possible that in your former businesses, it was actually your partners who "made something happen" while you funded the projects and thought up new ideas?

•••
Do you not feel that markets naturally regulate themselves, Rich?

I know how fascinating those comments from Verisign are, but feel free to go out on a limb and express your own opinions on this topic.
Of course not.....all markets are regulated to some degree.

Verisign only confirmed what I'd already learned about the domain industry. It wasn't long after I arrived here at NP that I was falsely accused of cyber squatting for which I never got an apology. I'm sure you recall the incident Joe, and one would think you might have apologized on behalf of the industry, but that was obviously above your pay grade.

You've also heard me share personal stories about the corrupt nature of the industry. When industry leaders like jmcc of Hosterstats speaks of educating "uninformed" consumers/businesses as being a "laudable goal", it speaks volumes......don't you think Joe:xf.wink:

laud·a·ble

ADJECTIVE
  1. (of an action, idea, or goal) deserving praise and commendation:

•••
•••
It's fascinating seeing them all together like that! And if he had taken one or two of those ideas individually and followed through, they could have had some chance at success.

The thing about these "outside the box" efforts in domaining is that you really need to commit time and effort to them to see if they bear fruit. How long was Swetha building her .xyz portfolio before it started taking off? Five years?

Same with the early pioneers of the industry. How many years did they spend holding on to names while people laughed at them?

@ThatNameGuy, you do indeed have some interesting ideas that are worth pursuing, but you seem to get easily distracted. Is it possible that in your former businesses, it was actually your partners who "made something happen" while you funded the projects and thought up new ideas?
Speaking of Swetha Joe.....what's happened to her? Just two sales in the last 45 days. Guess I was right about .LINK being no worse than .XYZ:xf.wink:

•••
I don't know. I had no idea what a link was until the education by Rich. :ROFL:

Brad
Brad....what do you think of the domain Gaslighting.xxxx. Gaslighting.com has been terminated and Gaslighting.xyz is for sale at Sedo for God knows how much?

•••
JB.....if you were to price Dollar.link, how much would you ask for it and why? Another question? Are you on Linkedin, and what do you think of the new registry owners plans for .LINK?......thanks in advance.
Nope, my last post here, will be staying out of your threads. Trying to stay out of time wasting threads. You're not serious about this, like I said, not even setting up your domains to sell after many years.

Just on .link alone, these are the threads you started. You've started 8 different threads, many probably should have been combined.

.LINK binge continues

.LINK binge progress

Binge Buying and .link

.LINK News and more

LINKedin and .LINK

.LINK THREAD - Sales, Regs, Discussion, News, Debates

Single word .XYZ vs single word .LINK

.xyz Versus .link

Last edited:
•••
Nope, my last post here, will be staying out of your threads. Trying to stay out of time wasting threads. You're not serious about this, like I said, not even setting up your domains to sell after many years.

JB....i can't say how glad I am that you're gone, but I'll take this opportunity to share with others my .LINK binge continues with Visionary.link.

I'd thought all the Premium domains were gone at this stage, but I was able to pick this great single word domain up for $120 and best of all it renews for $10.95 according to my screen print from Namecheap.

So what's a visionary like me intend to do with this domain? I intend to have it listed for sale by the end of January and in the mean time i intend to reach out to the founders of Visionary.com. As it turns out Linkedin is my connection to them.....whoulda thunk:xf.wink:

Hasta la juego JB

Last edited:
•••
Of course not.....all markets are regulated to some degree.
You really struggle with English comprehension, Rich. That's not what I asked. And besides that, you're wrong. What about the market for NFTs? Trading cards? Comic books? Artwork? Collectibles? They all self-regulate based on supply and demand, same as the domain name aftermarket.

Verisign only confirmed what I'd already learned about the domain industry. It wasn't long after I arrived here at NP that I was falsely accused of cyber squatting for which I never got an apology. I'm sure you recall the incident Joe, and one would think you might have apologized on behalf of the industry, but that was obviously above your pay grade.
Rich, it's comments like these that make me wonder if you have a full grip of your mental faculties. Firstly, what on Earth do Verisign's comment have to do with the years-old issue of you being butt-hurt over a single person's remarks? And second, when did I start representing the domain name industry to the extent that I would offer an apology on its behalf to an over-sensitive grown man who can't seem to fight his own battles (lame and unimportant as they may be)?

Speaking of Swetha Joe.....what's happened to her? Just two sales in the last 45 days. Guess I was right about .LINK being no worse than .XYZ:xf.wink:
I suspect she's not reporting publicly as much because a lot of people have been quite rude in how they question the validity of her sales.

•••
You've also heard me share personal stories about the corrupt nature of the industry. When industry leaders like jmcc of Hosterstats speaks of educating "uninformed" consumers/businesses as being a "laudable goal", it speaks volumes......don't you think Joe:xf.wink:

laud·a·ble

ADJECTIVE
  1. (of an action, idea, or goal) deserving praise and commendation:
Do you think you deserve praise, Rich?

•••
It wasn't long after I arrived here at NP that I was falsely accused of cyber squatting for which I never got an apology. I'm sure you recall the incident Joe, and one would think you might have apologized on behalf of the industry, but that was obviously above your pay grade.
Rich, it's comments like these that make me wonder if you have a full grip of your mental faculties. Firstly, what on Earth do Verisign's comment have to do with the years-old issue of you being butt-hurt over a single person's remarks? And second, when did I start representing the domain name industry to the extent that I would offer an apology on its behalf to an over-sensitive grown man who can't seem to fight his own battles (lame and unimportant as they may be)?
Rich, since I am the totally real and not fictional at all official domain ambassador, if you want to fill out the following form we can go ahead and get the official process started. :ROFL:

butthurt.jpg

On a serious note, why should @Joe N be expected to apologize for the entire industry for some random event you were offended by years ago?

Just like Elsa said, Let It Go.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Rich, since I am the totally real and not fictional at all official domain ambassador, if you want to fill out the following form we can go ahead and get the official process started. :ROFL:

Show attachment 230298

On a serious note, why should @Joe N be expected to apologize for the entire industry for some random event you were offended by years ago?

Brad
Amazing. @ThatNameGuy, you need to bookmark this form.

•••
Do you think you deserve praise, Rich?
Did i say that:xf.rolleyes:
You really struggle with English comprehension, Rich. That's not what I asked. And besides that, you're wrong. What about the market for NFTs? Trading cards? Comic books? Artwork? Collectibles? They all self-regulate based on supply and demand, same as the domain name aftermarket.

I suspect she's not reporting publicly as much because a lot of people have been quite rude in how they question the validity of her sales.
It appears her hibernation was short lived. You may have read that I recently registered Visionary.link, and if you were to check @ Visionary.xyz you'll see that she's asking the absurd price of $129,888 via a Dan/GoDaddy lander.

Bottomline Joe, i don't trust anyone in this industry, and for good reason:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Bottomline Joe, i don't trust anyone in this industry, and for good reason:xf.rolleyes:

Holy crap, you can't keep anything straight...

How are you Alessandro....

Any way....we're connected on Linkedin and I believe I have your email address. I'll reach out and share some information with you. Plus we can all use a trusted second opinion, and I feel I can trust you. Thanks

•••
Holy crap, you can't keep anything straight...
Oh Joe....you sound like my wife of 52 years. How in the world either of you put up with me is a mystery. I guess you saw that I registered a new gTLD Visionary.link yesterday. I fancy myself a visionary, and you as a guardian angel watching over me and .LINK .

ps. as my guardian angel check out Visionary.com and let me know how you see them fitting in:xf.wink:

•••

Show attachment 230298

Brad
Let it go HELL....i don't get MAD, i get EVEN:xf.wink:

•••
Oh Joe....you sound like my wife of 52 years. How in the world either of you put up with me is a mystery. I guess you saw that I registered a new gTLD Visionary.link yesterday. I fancy myself a visionary, and you as a guardian angel watching over me and .LINK .

ps. as my guardian angel check out Visionary.com and let me know how you see them fitting in:xf.wink:
Lol. She sounds very patient.

How (and why) would I see what you registered? Wait... do you monitor what I register?

•••
Lol. She sounds very patient.

How (and why) would I see what you registered? Wait... do you monitor what I register?
Wait....neither you or Brad have ever checked out the veracity of my registered domains:xf.rolleyes: And here I was going to tell you that I just picked up another single word Premium new gTLD, Resorts.link for $159.30.

To cover my ass I also registered ResortsLink.com for $9.45.....what was I thinking:xf.wink:

Joe, can either you or Brad or any of the team think of a possible use for Resorts.link? Swetha is asking $179,888 for Resorts.xyz, so what do you think I should be asking for Resorts.link?

Maybe you can help with this....Resorts.com doesn't seem to land anywhere when I key it to my address bar. Why do you think that is? Serious question would appreciate a serious answer. Anyone?

•••
Wait....neither you or Brad have ever checked out the veracity of my registered domains:xf.rolleyes: And here I was going to tell you that I just picked up another single word Premium new gTLD, Resorts.link for $159.30.

To cover my ass I also registered ResortsLink.com for $9.45.....what was I thinking:xf.wink:
It just shows why it is good to be the registry.

Brad

•••
what do you think I should be asking for Resorts.link?
What did you pay for it?

Maybe you can help with this....Resorts.com doesn't seem to land anywhere when I key it to my address bar. Why do you think that is? Serious question would appreciate a serious answer. Anyone?
The owner of the name hasn't built a site on it or forwarded it to an existing site. These guys own it: https://www.kerzner.com/

•••
What did you pay for it?

The owner of the name hasn't built a site on it or forwarded it to an existing site. These guys own it: kerzner.com
You may have missed it, but I said I paid $159 for it, and it renews for $159.

Thanks for the explanation why Resort.com doesn't actually land or forward. On another note, a friend and neighbor of mine actually came to Virginia Beach 20 years ago and developed Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront seen here; HiltonVB.com, and he's still active overseeing a new Marriott Oceanfront Resort project.

This might not mean anything to you Joe but, "We bill ourselves as the "World's Largest Resort City"

Last edited:
•••
You may have missed it, but I said I paid $159 for it, and it renews for $159.
Then I would say it should be listed for at least $16K in order to have a chance of extracting value from the purchase.

This price is of course based on the (as of yet untested) assumption that you may be able to sell 1% of your .link portfolio per year. If you can, then $16K is your break even price on this name (and actually that's not even including any marketplace fees or taxes).

If you plan on finally committing to this venture (after the others that have fallen by the wayside), then perhaps you'll find a way to increase that STR. You'll need to be a very active seller to do it, since the reported sales data is not on your side.
This might not mean anything to you Joe but, "We bill ourselves as the "World's Largest Resort City"
What does it mean to you in the context of your domain name's value?

•••
Then I would say it should be listed for at least $16K in order to have a chance of extracting value from the purchase.

This price is of course based on the (as of yet untested) assumption that you may be able to sell 1% of your .link portfolio per year. If you can, then $16K is your break even price on this name (and actually that's not even including any marketplace fees or taxes).

If you plan on finally committing to this venture (after the others that have fallen by the wayside), then perhaps you'll find a way to increase that STR. You'll need to be a very active seller to do it, since the reported sales data is not on your side.

What does it mean to you in the context of your domain name's value?
Damn Joe....we're communicating at an entirely different level than we have in the past. And yes, I plan on committing to this venture unlike those of the past. Sufficeth to say, it's different this time and you may have something to do with it:xf.smile:

Similar to your rationale for asking 20K for Dollar.link, your rationale for asking 16K for Resorts.link makes sense.

With regards to living, working and playing in the "Worlds Largest Resort City", and knowing people in the resort business, i feel that I can "add value" more so than most people in the domain industry.

Finally Joe, when my .LINK binge started last May i registered the domain Varsity.link, and just this am i was able to register VarsityDomains.com and VarsityNames.com. My thinking?......."Varsity" should be the name of my brokerage/marketplace.

Thanks Joe.....my last winter trip to Canada.....JayPeakResort.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back