Dynadot

question .xyz Versus .link

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Is two words xyz domains worth investing for near future ?
i'm not so sure, especially with .LINK poised to become a major contender. .xyz is on hype support imo. Just look at the asking price for Puppy.xyz and then see what you could have owned Puppy.xxxx for. Note, according to one of the most respected domainers of our time, ".LINK is no worse than .XYZ"......personally I think it's better:xf.wink:

Furthermore, Verisign calls this sort of behavior "scalping" regardless of who's doing it. I happen to be a pretty good "hype guy" myself much to the chagrin of companies like Go Daddy, Radix, and the new .LINK owners, Nova Registry, Ltd.

Rejoice!.....hmmm, I wonder how much GD is asking for Rejoice.xyz?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i'm not so sure, especially with .LINK poised to become a major contender. .xyz is on hype support imo. Just look at the asking price for Puppy.xyz and then see what you could have owned Puppy.xxxx for. Note, according to one of the most respected domainers of our time, ".LINK is no worse than .XYZ"......personally I think it's better:xf.wink:

Furthermore, Verisign calls this sort of behavior "scalping" regardless of who's doing it. I happen to be a pretty good "hype guy" myself much to the chagrin of companies like Go Daddy, Radix, and the new .LINK owners, Nova Registry, Ltd.

Rejoice!.....hmmm, I wonder how much GD is asking for Rejoice.xyz?

How did you come up to the conclusion that .link is poised to become a major contender to .xyz?

Even though I personally don't even invest in .xyz domains, how is this even debattable? There are of course a lot of private sales, but let's take the public data we have as a fair and indisputable metric.

.link reported sales on Namebio
- 129 total sales
- $401,400 in sales
- $30,000 highest price

.xyz reported sales on Namebio
- 2246 total sales
- $7,000,000 in sales
- $181,000 highest price

In all honesty, I respect the grind and I have nothing against you. I know for a fact that you will continue to invest in .link domains, but please stop comparing apples to oranges.

This also applies to those individuals who claim that .xyz is above .com because of its recent success.

Last edited:
•••
How did you come up to the conclusion that .link is poised to become a major contender to .xyz?

Even though I personally don't even invest in .xyz domains, how is this even debattable? There are of course a lot of private sales, but let's take the public data we have as a fair and indisputable metric.

.link reported sales on Namebio
- 129 total sales
- $401,400 in sales
- $30,000 highest price

.xyz reported sales on Namebio
- 2246 total sales
- $7,000,000 in sales
- $181,000 highest price

In all honesty, I respect the grind and I have nothing against you. I know for a fact that you will continue to invest in .link domains, but please stop comparing apples to oranges.

This also applies to those individuals who claim that .xyz is above .com because of its recent success.
.xyz is ALL ABOUT HYPE, and it doesn't take a braniac to see it. Just look at sales from a few years ago to see how many have been developed into actual legitimate businesses. At best 50% of them land to an actual site:xf.rolleyes:

As for .LINK it's essentially new, and UNR aka Uniregistry the original owner just sold it to Nova Registry, Ltd;

".Link is the latest of the UNR top level domains auctions last year to finally transfer to its new owner. ICANN records show that Nova Registry Ltd is the new owner of this domain.

You need to follow the thread to find the domain investor behind this deal. The company was registered in Malta in December. Manuel Debono is the director, and Vandelay Investments Ltd owns all 120,000 of the issues Type A shares. Vandelay was registered in Malta in 2020, lists John Huber as director and…domain investor Yoni Belousov as the owner of its shares. Yoni is a successful and well-respected domain investor.

This is the first of UNR’s TLD sales to a domain investor rather than an existing top level domain operator, although Monte Cahn is involved with the .hiphop top level domain.

.Link has close to 200,000 domains in the zone, down from a peak of over 400,000 in 2016. However, that peak was partially driven by self-registrations at Uniregistry.

The domain looks relatively healthy with a diverse group of registrars in its pool. Namecheap leads with 22% of domains.

Domain analytics service Pandalytics counts 20,000 developed .link domains. Some are also used as “infrastructure” domains, including Uniregistry using uniregistrymarket .link for domain parking."

Maybe now you'll have a better understanding why I'm on to this like SOS:xf.wink:

•••
The last data I got is .link has 168,763 reg, that is marginal.
.xyz 4,195,180, raking #10 ( no free domains), rank #4 for global domains.

I'm not saying I like .xyz for my own business, but for domains sales xyz is on another level compared to link.

Last edited:
•••
I am no fan of .xyz, but there is no comparison to .link.

One has put up steady sales for the last year plus, and the other is almost a dead extension.

According to NameBio, .link has 8 reported sales for $13,200 in 2022. It is basically a non-factor in the domain investment world.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

I'm not saying I like .xyz for my own business, but for domains sales xyz is on another level compared to link.
And therein lies the OPPORTUNITY :xf.rolleyes: Both "surgery" and "link" are keywords, and last i checked "xyz" is not. Surgery.link and Surgery.xyz don't compare....then check out Surgery.com when you get a chance.

•••
I am no fan of .xyz, but there is no comparison to .link.

One has put up steady sales for the last year plus, and the other is almost a dead extension.

According to NameBio, .link has 8 reported sales for $13,200 in 2022. It is basically a non-factor in the domain investment world.

Brad
When doing consulting work for Wells Fargo i learned a lot about money laundering. Maybe you know why the majority of .xyz domains don't land, or if they do, it's a JOKE! Verisign can tell you all about the "aftermarket" Brad. Call me if i need to explain. Ever here of Linkedin?

•••
You still haven't disclosed a single .online sale.

•••
You still haven't disclosed a single .online sale.
why would i do that?.....just registered Dollar.link :xf.wink: .....why would i do that? Sorry if this is over your head:xf.frown:

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••

I've been naming businesses since you were in diapers. I just love it when rookies think they know more than me about starting, operating and yes NAMING businesses. Ever hear of Linkedin? Do you know why it's called Linkedin:xf.wink: How about risk vs. reward....do you understand that concept????

Last edited:
•••
I've been naming businesses since you were in diapers. I just love it when rookies think they know more than me about starting, operating and yes NAMING businesses. Ever hear of Linkedin? Do you know why it's called Linkedin:xf.wink: How about risk vs. reward....do you understand that concept????

The world changed quite a bit since most of us were in diapers. Naming a business is easy, obtaining the emd is quite another story.

You can't compare what worked 50 years ago to what works now. Anyone holding on to what worked back in your days is doomed to fail.

Embrace change.

•••
The world changed quite a bit since most of us were in diapers. Naming a business is easy, obtaining the emd is quite another story.

You can't compare what worked 50 years ago to what works now. Anyone holding on to what worked back in your days is doomed to fail.

Embrace change.
LOL....i'm sure I've embraced change in my lifetime more than you ever will. Ever hear the expression, "if you want to learn something new read an old book" You have a lot to learn young person....embrace change :xf.wink:

Now try and analyze/rationalize this;

Absolute.xyz - asking $149,888 at dan.com

Absolute.link - asking $116 at Name Silo

".LINK is no worse than .XYZ" - analyze/rationalize this statement made by one of the most influential people in the domain industry today.

•••

So let me ask you mostvalp.....lets say you wanted to start a car rental business and you wanted to call it Rentit®. Note that i put the registered trademark symbol next to it because the name is trademarked, but only for the real estate business.

Being you're a smart domainer, the first thing you would check is to see if Rentit.com is available.....sorry it's not. It doesn't direct to a site, and it's not even for sale. However, GD values it at $15,964.

Then you check with GD to see whether Rentit.xyz or Rentit.link are available....sorry neither of them are, and GD values Rentit.xyz at a whopping $105 and Rentit.link at a whopping $221.

Regardless of the stats you quoted, when you apply a little "common sense" to .xyz vs. .link, you'll see why ".LINK is no worse than .XYZ".....this is the reason why i registered Rentit.link for 2.19 instead of paying $7,111 for Rentit.xyz.

Please, lets discuss so we can all learn something.

•••
You summed it up perfectly in your opening post

"".LINK is no worse than .XYZ"."

And saying .xyz is all about the hype, coming from you that is a bit rich......Rich :xf.wink:

Are you picking up premium renewals as well?

•••
LOL....i'm sure I've embraced change in my lifetime more than you ever will. Ever hear the expression, "if you want to learn something new read an old book" You have a lot to learn young person....embrace change :xf.wink:

".LINK is no worse than .XYZ" - analyze/rationalize this statement made by one of the most influential people in the domain industry today.

Lol, you probably have old person ;).

I don't think you can compare the two TLDs at all. One isn't worse than the other but absolute.link is absolutely worse than absolute.xyz :)

Anyway, I know you're bullish on online & link. Keep us updated on how that pans out.

•••
You summed it up perfectly in your opening post

"".LINK is no worse than .XYZ"."

And saying .xyz is all about the hype, coming from you that is a bit rich......Rich :xf.wink:

Are you picking up premium renewals as well?
Nick....thanks for that. I did end up buying WomenOfWales.com acronym WOW to give to you if you want it. With the population of Wales being over 3M it really could make for a good dating site imo. You may remember me saying that I drove from St Andrews to Wales and just loved it, just as I luv your site Wales.org.

It was my friend Rob Monster who said, ".LINK is no worse than .XYZ". That was pretty profound, especially when you see what .XYZ has been able to do with a little hype.

Yes, i've picked up about 20 premium names like Birthday.link, Invest.link and Seniors.link for $116 each and they renew for the same amount annually.

Finally, it's been just two months May 18th since Andrew Alleman wrote;

"Domain investor acquires .link top level domain"​

and ever since I've been a busy beaver accumulating over 1,200 .link domains. I'm guessing I've spent from 300-500 hours, about $5,000 and it's been nothing but FUN!.........thanks again Nick👍

•••
Lol, you probably have old person ;).

I don't think you can compare the two TLDs at all. One isn't worse than the other but absolute.link is absolutely worse than absolute.xyz :)

Anyway, I know you're bullish on online & link. Keep us updated on how that pans out.
Lol...first you say, "I don't think you can compare the two TLD's at all" then you go on say, "One isn't worse than the other"........excuse me???? How is that not a comparison? I'm confused, did I take something out of context?

Question? Is Absolute.link at $116 worse than Absolute.xyz at $149,888:xf.rolleyes:. Do you understand the question?

•••

Very simple. One extension is synonymous with one of the fastest growing market segments in the world and instantly positions you as "one of us" in that market. The other is a barely used extension that signals you couldn't afford any of the good extensions ;)

•••
Please stop feeding the trolls.

Really.

As if they are not enough to steal your precious time and energy, they will continue to exhibit the same imbalance as you keep respond to them.

That Some Guy is living in a delusion and probably needs some professional help. When you look at his old posts, he became a fanatic for the .online extension last year. Before that, .realty extension. I couldn't be bothered to go back even further.

Before replying to the same people in every topic, please analyze a little bit about what you are defending against whom. Personally, I just ignore them and continue as if nothing happened.

•••
It is pretty funny that the same quote has been posted over and over like it is some ringing endorsement for .LINK.

".LINK is no worse than .XYZ"

"Getting kicked in the balls is no worse than getting kicked in the face"

That statement is not a ringing endorsement for either. It means they are both not that great.

Regardless, good luck on your new journey of trying to bring relevancy to an extension no one cares about.
It didn't work with .realty, .online, and many others...but I am sure this time it will be different!!!

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It is pretty funny that the same quote has been posted over and over like it is some ringing endorsement for .LINK.

".LINK is no worse than .XYZ"

"Getting kicked in the balls is no worse than getting kicked in the face"

That statement is not a ringing endorsement for either. It means they are both not that great.

Regardless, good luck on your new journey of trying to bring relevancy to an extension no one cares about.
It didn't work with .realty, .online, and many others...but I am sure this time it will be different!!!

Brad
i see you have a linkedin profile Brad, not a xyzedin profile. Did you happen to notice that "link" happens to be a "keyword"? With regards to "both being not that great".....i don't disagree. That said however, if you have two used cars of equal ability or should i say disability:xf.wink:, which one would you buy if one were $500 and the other was $299,888.

Of course you'll say you wouldn't buy either, but that's not the point. What if you needed a vehicle to get you back and forth to work and couldn't afford the .com at a million bucks?

Furthermore you might ask, did you make up those ridiculous $$$ comparisons Rich? No Brad, and you can check this out for yourself.....i happen to own Invest.link that I paid $475 for a little over a month ago, and if you were to check/key invest.xyz you'll see where Swetha/Dan/XYZ,llc are asking $299,888 for it.

Brad, i don't need to sell you, but at least you ask some valid questions for when I take my massive .LINK portfolio to market. Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
Please stop feeding the trolls.

Really.

As if they are not enough to steal your precious time and energy, they will continue to exhibit the same imbalance as you keep respond to them.

That Some Guy is living in a delusion and probably needs some professional help. When you look at his old posts, he became a fanatic for the .online extension last year. Before that, .realty extension. I couldn't be bothered to go back even further.

Before replying to the same people in every topic, please analyze a little bit about what you are defending against whom. Personally, I just ignore them and continue as if nothing happened.
lol....speaking of "feeding the trolls"....aren't you doing just that:xf.wink: Last i checked Rome wasn't built in a day and it took Edison hundreds and some say thousands of attempts to invent the light bulb. So thanks for the inspiration kor.....you da Man or maybe da Trans:xf.cool:

•••
Lol...first you say, "I don't think you can compare the two TLD's at all" then you go on say, "One isn't worse than the other"........excuse me???? How is that not a comparison? I'm confused, did I take something out of context?

Question? Is Absolute.link at $116 worse than Absolute.xyz at $149,888:xf.rolleyes:. Do you understand the question?

May have needed to use better phrasing, on a holiday so might have been enjoying a fair bit of whiskey writing that :)

Mean to say. TLDs are unique. You cannot compare link to XYZ. Link has meaning, XYZ is somewhat generic.

Xyz is a Moneymaker (for some), link is well... wouldn't say dead cos it has never been alive... Anyway... Keyword.xyz is a brand consisting of one word. Keyword.link is a brand consisting of a 2 word pairing. See where I'm going with that?

So yes, absolute XYZ @ 150K is better than absolute link @116. Do I think it's overpriced? Yes.... The link should probably be $10 :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back