Dynadot

question .xyz Versus .link

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Is two words xyz domains worth investing for near future ?
i'm not so sure, especially with .LINK poised to become a major contender. .xyz is on hype support imo. Just look at the asking price for Puppy.xyz and then see what you could have owned Puppy.xxxx for. Note, according to one of the most respected domainers of our time, ".LINK is no worse than .XYZ"......personally I think it's better:xf.wink:

Furthermore, Verisign calls this sort of behavior "scalping" regardless of who's doing it. I happen to be a pretty good "hype guy" myself much to the chagrin of companies like Go Daddy, Radix, and the new .LINK owners, Nova Registry, Ltd.

Rejoice!.....hmmm, I wonder how much GD is asking for Rejoice.xyz?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Of course you'll say you wouldn't buy either, but that's not the point. What if you needed a vehicle to get you back and forth to work and couldn't afford the .com at a million bucks?

Then you'd buy any other available tld or opt for a different prefix which will set you back a tenner or so.

•••
Then you'd buy any other available tld or opt for a different prefix which will set you back a tenner or so.
so you'd buy absolute.golf or absolute.farm:xf.wink:. Seriously, another thing you haven't taken in to account, .LINK is under new ownership/management. This gets back to risk vs. reward scenario....assume that .LINK is in last place in their respective UK Soccer league and someone new buys the team. Furthermore, they bring on a new coach who's been successful with another team, and they get an endorsement from Linkedin.....Branding, i'm betting there's no where to go but UP^ which happens to be a fact. I guess i'm more of a "glass is half full" guy, and your are???

•••
May have needed to use better phrasing, on a holiday so might have been enjoying a fair bit of whiskey writing that :)

Mean to say. TLDs are unique. You cannot compare link to XYZ. Link has meaning, XYZ is somewhat generic.

Xyz is a Moneymaker (for some), link is well... wouldn't say dead cos it has never been alive... Anyway... Keyword.xyz is a brand consisting of one word. Keyword.link is a brand consisting of a 2 word pairing. See where I'm going with that?

So yes, absolute XYZ @ 150K is better than absolute link @116. Do I think it's overpriced? Yes.... The link should probably be $10 :)
one more thing....the first Premium .link domain i purchased was Catering.link and Catering.xyz is for sale at Dan.com for $198,888:xf.rolleyes: Branding, i'm going to be doing some guest lecturing at a local University this fall about intellectual property and yes, domaining. If it's available, would you like to zoom into my class?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back