Domain Empire

discuss .LINK binge continues

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
".LINK is no worse than .XYZ".....like the .com loyalists despising the .xyz insurgence, the .xyz loyalists despise the .link insurgence.

While most of the really good "single word" .link domains have been registered still a few remain. For example, the day after Thanksgiving I was able to register Thankfulness.link that happens to be no worse than Thankfulness.xyz or Thankfulness.com.

In the way of an update.....domains under management aka DUM has grown from 200,000 to 221,000 since May, and 1,500 of those I've registered. In addition, i have it from some reliable sources that "Good News is Coming":xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you'd been paying attention Elkhan you'd know I wasn't with AcSel in 1999/2000.....maybe you were still in diapers:xf.eek: Come on man.....pay ATTENTION.link:xf.wink:
So you helped name some company 40+ years ago then had nothing to do with the domain name?

Wow, that is quite an irrelevant credential when it comes to domains. :ROFL:

I'm the "word prodigy" Joe....you're not:xf.rolleyes: Besides, you wouldn't understand:xf.wink:
The good news is you don't need to be a self-proclaimed "word prodigy", "visionary", or other titles to make domain sales.

I make plenty of actual domain sales without the need of titles, puffery, or constant namedropping.

Stick around Rich, you might learn something. :xf.wink:

Brad

•••
Probably one of the best threads on Namepros so far, I really like coming back reading answers, even though I know I won't learn a thing...still, good laughs are guaranteed.

•••
Probably one of the best threads on Namepros so far, I really like coming back reading answers, even though I know I won't learn a thing...still, good laughs are guaranteed.
You're pretty easily entertained aren't you hack....it's sort of fitting that I was able to pick up Comedy.link back in June. If only I had the time I'd develop it and have a link directly to this thread. "Good laughs are guaranteed:ROFL:"

•••
so you left before they registered a domain? Wondering why didn't you name it Axel, or Accel, or Axxel, or Accell?

How does the choice of Acsel somehow show your branding proficiency?
That's right....my partner bought me out before the company had a need for a domain, and I posted here the first domain I purchased for any of my companies was for Contact USA (ContactUSA.com) back in the 90's. Another company I started in 1973 Credit Control Corporation, and sold in 1985 for 250K, uses the domain CreditControl.net today.

With regards to my branding proficiency....the only thing i can say is that Acsel is NO WORSE than Elix:unsure:

•••
With regards to my branding proficiency....the only thing i can say is that Acsel is NO WORSE than Elix:unsure:
I agree that this comment speaks volumes about your branding proficiency.

•••
I agree that this comment speaks volumes about your branding proficiency.
I have never seen anyone spend so much time in the first stage of the Dunning-Kruger chart. It is quite remarkable actually.

At some point, normally after years of lack of results, people move on to further stages.

Being stubborn + thinking you know everything is a toxic combo. The lack of results should lead to a epiphany.

In this case though, we have Groundhog Day playing on a loop instead. :ROFL:

You can lead a .horse to water but you can't force them to .drink.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
WOW....how long have you been hanging around JB? Hell, I've had two "Holes In One" since I last heard your name. What's your attraction to the .LINK gTLD? Linkedin?
I’ve been gone for almost 2 years, so you had a little break.

But a serious question that you never answered. What do you do after you buy those names? Why aren’t you setting them up on proper landers? Why aren’t you adding them to the various markets? As I said years ago, it’s just basic stuff you’re not doing. Do it today. Many people have been giving you good advice, you’re just not doing anything with it. How are you expecting sales to happen?

Last edited:
•••

But a serious question that you never answered. What do you do after you buy those names? Why aren’t you setting them up on proper landers? Put them up at the various markets. As I said years ago, it’s just basic stuff you’re not doing. Do it today. Many people have been giving you good advice, you’re just not doing anything with it
It's good to have you back here.

I think when you left he was probably binging .online, .homes, or some other extension.

He has just moved on to .link now. I think the status quo on everything else remains - still not listed for sale, still looking for a technical partner, etc.

Brad

•••
But a serious question that you never answered. What do you do after you buy those names? Why aren’t you setting them up on proper landers? Why aren’t you adding them to the various markets? As I said years ago, it’s just basic stuff you’re not doing. Do it today. Many people have been giving you good advice, you’re just not doing anything with it. How are you expecting sales to happen?
This is the part I really don't get. It is a constant cycle of binging and expiring domains, never listing any for sale.

I sell marginal domains all the time, only because they are listed for sale.

Any schmo can list their domains for sale. They don't need to be some tech genius to do it.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
This is the part I really don't get. It is a constant cycle of binging and expiring domains, never listing any for sale.

I sell marginal domains all the time, only because they are listed for sale.

Any schmo can list their domains for sale. They don't need to be some tech genius to do it.

Brad
Schmo?...... be careful Brad or the FBI will be following you for making racist antisemitic statements:xf.rolleyes: Didn't i tell you I'd have my .LINK domains listed for sale by the end of this month? I also told you that I have a little home based business that processes a couple thousand 1099S for law firms, and the 1099's need to be completed and mailed by February 15th so I'm a pretty busy guy:xf.wink:

Finally and maybe you can help me with this...... i happen to own Dollar.link that's considered Premium and I was thinking about how much I should ask for it? You'll find that Dollar.com connects to Dollar Rent a Car and that Swetha is asking $150,000 for Dollar.xyz. Considering I probably know more about the "Dollar" business model than most people, what should I be asking for Dollar.link?

Joe? JB? Branding? Recon? Nick?.....what do you guys think it's worth and why? Sorry....smart ass answers will be ignored.

•••

JB.....if you were to price Dollar.link, how much would you ask for it and why? Another question? Are you on Linkedin, and what do you think of the new registry owners plans for .LINK?......thanks in advance.

•••
Schmo?...... be careful Brad or the FBI will be following you for making racist antisemitic statements:xf.rolleyes:
You have never heard of the term? It is in the dictionary.

It is also used in the term Joe Schmo. The typical, everyday person who does not have any special status AKA an average Joe.

Didn't i tell you I'd have my .LINK domains listed for sale by the end of this month? I also told you that I have a little home based business that processes a couple thousand 1099S for law firms, and the 1099's need to be completed and mailed by February 15th so I'm a pretty busy guy:xf.wink:
So basically it means any average person can list domains for sale.

Make something happen! Isn't that your slogan?

In years you have not listed any domains for sale. :facepalm:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Schmo?...... be careful Brad or the FBI will be following you for making racist antisemitic statements:xf.rolleyes:
What do you think schmo means...?

Considering I probably know more about the "Dollar" business model than most people, what should I be asking for Dollar.link?
You thinking you know more about something doesn't make a domain name more or less valuable.

I would list it for $20K.

I don't personally think it's worth that, but it's a strong single word, and $20K is the highest ever .link sale, so you should price accordingly. You should do your own research, though, to get a good sense of what similar single word .link names are being sold for, as you don't want to be vastly over- or under-priced in comparison. With the high renewal, you need to sell for at least $10K for it to make any sense to own it.

Last edited:
•••
i happen to own Dollar.link that's considered Premium and I was thinking about how much I should ask for it?

I dunno Richard, I would consider it to be a liability to my portfolio and try to get rid of it and recoup whatever I can.

•••
You have never heard of the term? It is in the dictionary.

It is also used in the term Joe Schmo. The typical, everyday person who does not have any special status AKA an average Joe.

So basically it means any average person can list domains for sale.

Make something happen! Isn't that your slogan?

In years you have not listed any domains for sale. :facepalm:

Brad
"In years you have not listed any domains for sale" Sure I have Brad......just to give you an example....Dollar.link lands @ Epik (for now), and .com names that I own like Yum21, RichFuel and CornerPawn etc. land at Above.com via GD/Afternic

I was using Afternic for most of my .online domains that met with little success. I actually sold a few there, but it was hardly worth the effort.

All that said, i do need to get my shit together here with my .LINK domains because as you've seen I have some excellent names with some excellent ideas for their development.

Stay tuned!

•••
What do you think schmo means...?

You thinking you know more about something doesn't make a domain name more or less valuable.

I would list it for $20K.

I don't personally think it's worth that, but it's a strong single word, and $20K is the highest ever .link sale, so you should price accordingly. You should do your own research, though, to get a good sense of what similar single word .link names are being sold for, as you don't want to be vastly over- or under-priced in comparison. With the high renewal, you need to sell for at least $10K for it to make any sense to own it.
$20K sounds reasonable especially since a modicum of business experience/consulting would come with it.

Regardless of what you think, my business experience can add value to a domain just as though I were a race car driver selling high performance automobiles.

Currently Dollar.link renews @ $116:xf.wink: Thanks Joe

•••
I dunno Richard, I would consider it to be a liability to my portfolio and try to get rid of it and recoup whatever I can.
Are you kidding me? I would consider you to be way more of a liability to my portfolio than any of the 1,500 .link domains that I own.

•••
I crunched the cross TLD figures for .LINK (and the new gTLDs and .COM/NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO/MOBI/ASIA) from the 01 January 2023 zonefiles. It is basically the DNA of .LINK in that it counts the number of .LINK domain names also registered in .COM/NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO/MOBI/ASIA and the number of domain names in each category that are still available in .LINK gTLD.

http://www.hosterstats.com/link-new-gtld.php

The most valuable domain names, and brand protection regs, tend to be registered across the gTLDs. The .MOBI and .ASIA have been declining in registrations and the .BIZ and .INFO have been losing ground due to the increased renewal fees but brand protection regs tend to be C/N/O/B/I.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Are you kidding me? I would consider you to be way more of a liability to my portfolio than any of the 1,500 .link domains that I own.
For arguments sake, let's assume a standard 1%-2% sell-through rate even though it is likely much lower for extensions like .link.

Factoring in a $118/year renewal fee, you would need to sell the domain for $11,800 just to break even with a 1% STR.

Premium renewal fees quickly throw the math out of whack when it comes to domain portfolios.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Regardless of what you think, my business experience can add value to a domain just as though I were a race car driver selling high performance automobiles.
Honestly, for most buyers that will come across as gimmicky and will actually make you less appealing as a seller. If you had an existing business doing online marketing and business development, it would be a different story, as you would have current and relevant experience.

That not being the case, let the domain speak for itself.

•••
For arguments sake, let's assume a standard 1%-2% sell-through rate even though it is likely much lower for extensions like .link.

Factoring in a $118/year renewal fee, you would need to sell the domain for $11,800 just to break even with a 1% STR.

Premium renewal fees quickly throw the math out of whack when it comes to domain portfolios.

Brad
It would be interesting to have some feedback/data from a few people with a large (and listed) portfolio of quality ngTLD names. What is their STR like? Average sale price? Total renewal costs? Would be great to be able to make some real comparisons.

There was an experienced member with a sizable ngTLD portfolio who used to post regularly on the Reported Sales thread (he has the bull head avatar). I seem to remember him providing some rough updates on his ngTLD vs .com sales rates and numbers, and the former was usually quite a bit worse, although still in the black overall. I could be remembering wrong.

Even Swetha only reports sales, and never gives us a full picture of expenses and STR. I've always wondered how much she went in the hole on all those .xyz names before starting to see regular large sales. I'm sure she must be in the black on an annual basis now, but by how much? Has she made back all the money invested up front?

Last edited:
•••

Please elaborate.

•••
I crunched the cross TLD figures for .LINK (and the new gTLDs and .COM/NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO/MOBI/ASIA) from the 01 January 2023 zonefiles. It is basically the DNA of .LINK in that it counts the number of .LINK domain names also registered in .COM/NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO/MOBI/ASIA and the number of domain names in each category that are still available in .LINK gTLD.

The most valuable domain names, and brand protection regs, tend to be registered across the gTLDs. The .MOBI and .ASIA have been declining in registrations and the .BIZ and .INFO have been losing ground due to the increased renewal fees but brand protection regs tend to be C/N/O/B/I.

Regards...jmcc
Thanks for doing this jmcc, but crunching the back numbers is somewhat superfluous imo. Why? Because Frank Schilling aka Uniregistry pretty much threw in the towel on .LINK in 2017. Here are just 5 .link domains I registered in June/July 2022 that I learned from Hosterstats had been deleted in 2017; chocolate.link, fruit.link, seniors.link, hollywood.link and bicycle.link.

At least for me, my investment here is simply a "turnaround" play. There were about a dozen more Premium names I wish I could have registered, but I have zero regrets for those I have registered. Thanks again!

•••

Brad
Seriously Brad....i'm just happy you and Joe are following me 24/7 and care enough to share some of your knowledge. You'll have to admit the renewal fees for the .link domains I was able to register last year are better than those of most new gTLD's, and even better than future .link renewals.

•••
Honestly, for most buyers that will come across as gimmicky and will actually make you less appealing as a seller. If you had an existing business doing online marketing and business development, it would be a different story, as you would have current and relevant experience.

That not being the case, let the domain speak for itself.
Joe....while I may come across as "gimmicky" to you, I've had enough success in my past to add "some" value to any new start up or seasoned business.

We're not talking "rocket science":xf.rolleyes:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back