Domain Empire

opinion Existence of nGTLDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rjdomain

Account Closed
Impact
nGTLDs registrations have now grown rapidly during the last 2 years.

But the ground reallity is whether the Enduser is aware of the fact whether any Gtld like .horse, .bet, .vodka, ..xyz and most other Gtlds really exist in domaining world!!!!

We as a domainer are constantly keeping an eye on the day to day development of domaining activities but the enduser who has not known anything other than the LEGACY Gtlds .com, .net, .org,

1. will they go for new Gtlds?

2. Who will convince those major endusers that there is something like .xyz or .deals and many more nGtlds really exist and is worth registering?

I encountered with an enduser who only knew about the top 3 gtlds and even .biz was something a new word which he had never heard before..leave the rest of Gtlds :-/

There is huge communication gap between a domainer and a enduser and there has to be popular medium to get the enduser know about the development, use , value and latest changes in Domaining industry.
Else the .horse will only sleeo in stable, .vodka will keep lying in Glasses, there will be no to .bid and the domains will be like abc.....xyz:-o

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you're looking for end-user, here is one example:
Mahalocare.com redirects to Mahalo.Care
They use .com to redirect to new gtld .care for their main website.
Maybe shorter domain is better for their brand. The fact is, end-user considers new gtld for their brand.

Last edited:
•••
.horse?.vodka? How many registrations will these extensions ever get?

•••
•••

But the ground reallity is whether the Enduser is aware of the fact whether any Gtld like .horse, .bet, .vodka, ..xyz and most other Gtlds really exist in domaining world!!!!

We as a domainer are constantly keeping an eye on the day to day development of domaining activities but the enduser who has not known anything other than the LEGACY Gtlds .com, .net, .org,

2. Who will convince those major endusers that there is something like .xyz or .deals and many more nGtlds really exist and is worth registering?

I encountered with an enduser who only knew about the top 3 gtlds and even .biz was something a new word which he had never heard before..leave the rest of Gtlds :-/

There is huge communication gap between a domainer and a enduser and there has to be popular medium to get the enduser know about the development, use , value and latest changes in Domaining industry.
Else the .horse will only sleeo in stable, .vodka will keep lying in Glasses, there will be no to .bid and the domains will be like abc.....xyz:-o
Gullible and naive domainers are being scammed into these ngtlds! These new domainers (who missed out the opportunity on dotcoms) are just buying them purely on speculations. No wonder the these ngtld registeries are making millions and are fleecing the new domainers.
Now the main question mark is who is going to convince the end users to buy these ngtlds??? This is called BIG TIME marketing! It needs lots of money that these ngtld registeries don't want to cough it up. They must show-case these ngtlds at the prime time and main events like SuperBowl.
As more and more ngtlds are rolling out, dotcom will become even more valuable commodity to avoid ambiguity. It doesn't need a rocket scientist to figure this out. However, there are lots of speculative domainers who are on KOOL-AID and they would not want to face this harsh reality.
The evidence is that new domainers register these ngtlds in droves and create a hype. Once it comes the renewal time, most of these ngtlds are dropped either they are way too expensive to hold on to them or no one wants to buy them.
ICANN is keeping a blind eye on these stupid practices. These manipulative practices MUST stop! It has become a multiBillion dollar business. I've just heard that Donald Trump is thinking to roll out two ngtlds .trump (dot Trump) and .donald (dot Donald) because he is sensing that he can use new domainers as SUCKERS as well...
Well, the list goes on and on. This debate would never stop. I'm wishing all my fellow-domainers well and hope they make money and flourish.

Peace!

Last edited:
•••

I pointed this out in the other thread - https://ntldstats.com/country

You need development right, that's how most people see new extensions.

2 years, hundreds of new extensions and only 1.6+ million in the United States plus whatever number the unknown registrants. That's low to me. The .us extension itself is at 1.6+ million.

54%, over half China. Take out domainers, the domains used like stock, the domains used for spam etc, then you have left development, but what kind of development? How many in the world speak Chinese?

How do you get more development for the English speaking world. People can always point to random examples here and there but I'm talking about move the needle type of development.

We're talking about the normal public but scan all the new gtlds, I bet domainers can't even keep track of them all. There are some out where we haven't even talked about them much/or at all in a domaining forum. There some I see where I didn't even know they were out. And there is just more coming.

•••
an end user experience :
i was asked if a domain was free : nothing was free in old gtld and emd ngtld that would reflect the name of the company, i recomended .xyz , the user was happy and said it is fun to know that xyz exist.

•••
.horse?.vodka? How many registrations will these extensions ever get?
I just stated an example about the ngtlds not pointing only to .horse or .vodka. :)

•••
I know. I was just wondering how many registrations would these ngtlds and others like them get to make them stay in business.

•••
I know. I was just wondering how many registrations would these ngtlds and others like them get to make them stay in business.
They are failing now . Conservative estimate you need to generate $100,000 usd revenue that goes back to the registry to make a string viable, after you have taken out your direct costs. .xyz is looking like a vanity project, at less than a dollar each from which you have to pay the back end provider central nic, ICANN fees and registrars fees. Clearly you lose on each reg but hoping they pay renewal fees. Vast majority will get no pull from end users and domainers hate buying from domainers, so most will have zero enquirers, do you renew. Other than the odd 100,000 that are very short numerics and alphas.
That's why we will see consolidation, there will be buyouts of companies and strings at a heavy discount to get economies of scale, so that you can reduce the 100k to around 50k.
Can't imagine you can run theses strings at less than 10,000 full paying registrations. That's half failing.

•••
DOA. Dead on Arrival. It was a bad idea right from the start. To think there are plans for yet more of these tlds.

•••
DOA. Dead on Arrival. It was a bad idea right from the start. To think there are plans for yet more of these tlds.
ICANN is keeping a blind eye on these stupid practices. These manipulative practices MUST stop! It has become a multiBillion dollar business. I've just heard that Donald Trump is thinking to roll out two ngtlds .trump (dot Trump) and .donald (dot Donald) because he is sensing that he can use new domainers as SUCKERS as well...
Well, the list goes on and on. This debate would never stop. I'm wishing all my fellow-domainers well and hope they make money and flourish.
Peace!

•••
most insightful thread of the week.

•••
Peace!
ICANN should initiate stringent measures to curb the flourishing and blackmarketing of redundant nGtlds.
What i could assume is that most of the registrars have just brought ngtlds to make money and vanish within a year or two regardless of the impact it will have on the registrants who are getting fooled.
Some of the ngtls have already started retreating.
Who will be responsible for the losses to the registrants who have a blind faith on the functionallity of ICANN policies???
If this nGTLDs flourishing continues then "The day is not far when the Total number of nGTLDs will be equal to the total number of Domains registered and every Domain name will have their own nGTLD like "become.become" "today.today" "fool.fool" and so on..though it looks not possible but the way things are progressing you cannot deny the fact :)

•••
ICAAN PLAN TO DO THIS.

a.a
b.b
abc.abc
news.news

•••
Not Surprising :-o The next nGTLDs could be the numeric ones

:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back