Domain Empire

new gtlds It's Official no growth last 4 months in newGTLDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What's next. No growth in nGTLDs in the LAST 4 months, didn't even reach 30million. 30million was what ICANN budgeted for nGTLDs to be registered at the end of 2014
On any measure it's been disappointing
The question is what's next for the nGTLDs, do they go into the wilderness never to been known by the general public or is there only worth is to be used for scams and phishing emailing; and only to be known for ill intent.
One thing is for sure its RIP for domain investors in nGTLDs.
It's a blood bath out there....

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
.CO is an interesting case study and relevant to nTLD investing. .CO registration became unrestricted in 2010 and by mid-2011 total registrations passed the 1 million mark. There are currently more than 2 million .CO registrations and some startups use them. However, look at Namebio sales over the last year and there are fewer than 100 reported .CO sales over $1000. With $25 renewals and an assumed 1% industry portfolio turn and 20% marketplace commissions one would need a sale over $3000 to breakeven on a 100-domain .CO portfolio. Problem is there were only about fifty .CO sales reported over $3000. Assume a 50% speculation rate in the extension (guess) or about 1 million speculative registrations. A 1% sales ration would translate into ten thousand aftermarket sales. Of course some could be low $XXX or high $XXX under the top 100 sales cutoff. But if there are fewer than 100 .CO sales over $1000, how likely is it that .CO portfolios are generating 1% average portfolio turn? Not likely. And yet .CO has been open since 2010 - seven years ago. .CO is generic, short and sounds much better than .XYZ or .TOP. But where are the aftermarket buyers?

•••
One additional note - some will argue about NDA sales hide the picture of a TLD's investment merit. However, I believe there are so many fake reported sales by nTLD registries that distort the reality of the nTLD aftermarket that NDA sales become irrelevant.

•••
Where there is a cliff there are lemmings :xf.wink:
He will come up with some marketing ploy in June, so when they jump off the cliff, it will be as happy lemmings

•••
.CO is an interesting case study and relevant to nTLD investing. .CO registration became unrestricted in 2010 and by mid-2011 total registrations passed the 1 million mark. There are currently more than 2 million .CO registrations and some startups use them. However, look at Namebio sales over the last year and there are fewer than 100 reported .CO sales over $1000. With $25 renewals and an assumed 1% industry portfolio turn and 20% marketplace commissions one would need a sale over $3000 to breakeven on a 100-domain .CO portfolio. Problem is there were only about fifty .CO sales reported over $3000. Assume a 50% speculation rate in the extension (guess) or about 1 million speculative registrations. A 1% sales ration would translate into ten thousand aftermarket sales. Of course some could be low $XXX or high $XXX under the top 100 sales cutoff. But if there are fewer than 100 .CO sales over $1000, how likely is it that .CO portfolios are generating 1% average portfolio turn? Not likely. And yet .CO has been open since 2010 - seven years ago. .CO is generic, short and sounds much better than .XYZ or .TOP. But where are the aftermarket buyers?
Impossible to put a coherent argument against your insight here

•••
•••
No growth? Have you looked at the gtld drop lists? 99.9% wouldn't be worth a hand reg in .com. Of course those names are dropping.

I heard Frank Schilling make the point a few times in various venues and it's very true. The new gtld program didn't expand the global namespace all that much.

Domainers are used to seeing mismatched keywords, long phrases and made up words selling in .com. Those names don't have value in other extensions and I suspect the numbers will go down much more as those types of names are dropped. That doesn't affect the value of the higher quality names.

•••
50% of all registered names in the nGTLD space are in just 5 extensions out of a 1,000
xyz
loan
win
wang

or in other words, spam spam spam spam

•••
50% of all registered names in the nGTLD space are in just 5 extensions out of a 1,000
xyz
loan
win
wang

or in other words, spam spam spam spam spam

•••
Where there is a cliff there are lemmings :xf.wink:
That's because they're looking for bodies of water and further opportunities. They don't all drown.

xyz
loan
win
wang

By that logic .com being the largest by far of all TLDs are spam spam spam. A lot is spam in the extension that sold out and a lot are over-speculation at a penny. A .xyz domain that will never sell is the same as a .com that will never sell is the same as .co that will never sell. This is only like the slight reduction in sh*t being registered since GoDaddy clamped down on coupons -though people migrated to FastHost or whatever.. and Dotster, 1&1 ...

BUT

Again, you can make anything look the way you want by framing the discussion the way you want.

Until either sides starts being rational about the pros and cons of things it will continue to be trolling/antagonizing.
Not all ccTLDs are created equally
Not all TLDs are created equally

Not all consumers / end users are created equally and nothing is valued equally. A house in vegas ain't worth a broom cupboard in manhattan... doesn't mean they aren't selling (and I hate analogies and I just used one).

•••

wang = 0.2% bad (score 0.01)
com = 6.6% bad (score 0.83)
xyz = 6.8% bad (score 0.63)
top = 49.3% bad (score 5.56)

(spamhaus.org)

•••
wang = 0.2% bad (score 0.01)
com = 6.6% bad (score 0.83)
xyz = 6.8% bad (score 0.63)
top = 49.3% bad (score 5.56)

(spamhaus.org)
hahaha thats a joke lets get this right shall we
xyz 9% spam
top 49.3%
loan 11.8%
win 26.3%
wang 0.2%

only wang is below .com
so spam spam spam spam wang

Last edited:
•••
ROI return on investment. That's all that matters. Spout as much as you like about unreported sales. If only you know what I do. The only thing that matters is ROI. So don't, I beg you, save your money don't invest in this pigeon sh**

•••
hahaha thats a joke lets get this right shall we
xyz 9% spam
top 49.3%
loan 11.8%
win 26.3%
wang 0.2%

only wang is below .com
so spam spam spam spam wang

spamhaus is updated daily

•••
So don't, I beg you, save your money don't invest in this pigeon sh**

I take it you are a member of the .com cartel?

they all seem to be begging these days on forums and blogs and twitter coughrickcough

Last edited:
•••
So based on your spam argument I guess you are going to just buy .wang and ditch .com?

•••
funny how greed can make one argue a square is round. talk about self deception.

self deception is not a good investment strategy.

some want to be deceived though. the .xyz registry knows this.

Last edited:
•••
hey look ^ another futile post

tbh xyz doesn't make sense to me yet
but then hey neither does .com

as gTLDs evolve it will be survival of the fittest
and the rest *will* fossilize

•••
Anyway, they not fit for pure play domaining purposes.
If you're not a developer and enjoy the risk of clawback, price hikes etc, stay away.

•••
Title is misleading. A lot of drop in the last week have caused regs to be about the same as 4 months ago. Regs were increasing during that time though.

•••
Who cares if ngtld reg's are growing or shrinking. How can domainers make money off them anyway? I mean let's face it, if anyone actually manages to get a good one at regular renewal, with obvious end users, how can they sell it? Your prospective customer has about 75 billion alternatives in other eerily similar extensions. Sure, there's gonna be a few success stories but as a business model? Makes no sense.

My input in yet another namepros ngtld discussion (y) Same time next week?

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
mortgages aren't freedom

•••
Making lots of assumptions there.
and how many times do you hear all lots of great offers for nGTLDs but you know its hot air when you see no new gTLD's sales recorded in DN Journal in the last two weeks, not just the top 20 but the whole week's report for sales above 1,000usd

I dont report my sales to Ron, and in this month I had one gTLD sale that would qualify for the top 20 of the week. Of course it was not my first gTLD sale.

I prefer .coms, but I like good new gTLD domains too ;)

•••
xyz and heavy speculation tlds are a waste of time for analysis. I'm sure @jmcc has stats to show even a different picture but if a domain works for a business it works,imho.
Still have to analyse them and what I've seen with Q1 deletion/renewal rates for some gTLDs is quite disturbing.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back