IT.COM

It's Hard to buy good name now.

NameSilo
Watch

GeorgeQuang

Established Member
Impact
Hey everyone, i'm just a rookie. I started investing in Domain late - 2017, so i just have a small portfolio ( about 400 domains). Recently, i realized that it's too hard to buy a good name now. Why ?
1> GoDaddy Expired Auctions : as you know, HugeDomains gets 40% -50% good domains, 20-30% will belong to big players ( who has big pocket - huge capital to burn), and the rest belong to us. You can see some names below with their prices.
ensureit.com $175
searchmind.com $295
deyde.com $215
ablepower.com $425
aceadvisory.com $117
innovacenter.com $120
bellecreative.com $127
crownalliance.com $127
corptex.com $273
2> Dropped List : nowaday, we can't find many high quality domain names on dropped list because of the increasing of Drop Catching systems.
- With individual domainers: they prefer to pay 59$-79$ for the name that they think it good enough than wait and reg it on Dropped List.
- With Domain Companies: they have their own Registers, so that they can catch expired names quickly. And the rest in Dropped list almost are junks.
3> Auctions : people now become crazy in bidding war. They are willing to pay more and more money for a name that has bids despite its quality. If you want to get a good one, you must pay more 30-40% than before.
Domain's price now is crazy.
So what do you think ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
certainly.. i really do not like that company one bit

Agreed. I can't help but wonder if they monitor portfolios. Perhaps it's just coincidence but every single name I've dropped has been acquired by them. About 50 domains at this point. They've yet to make a sale and they've held some for 2+ years. It puts a smile a on my face to know they're in the red on my rejects.

•••
Agreed. I can't help but wonder if they monitor portfolios. Perhaps it's just coincidence but every single name I've dropped has been acquired by them. About 50 domains at this point. They've yet to make a sale and they've held some for 2+ years. It puts a smile a on my face to know they're in the red on my rejects.
No one loves TurnCommerce (the mother company of HugeDomains - Namebright - DropCatch.etc) but they provides quality services for Domain Industry :
- NameBright : really cool registrar, friendly with domainers, easily to transfer domains out and low fees ( you just need to pay 8.07 for each domains if you fund them first).
- DropCatch: who's the hell in this industry doesn't know this Expired Catching services ? They spent millions to acquire over 800 registrars last year to get more opportunities for catching expired names. And it's one of the best Backorder services now.
- HugeDomains : it's not for us :)
So by using their services, we are feeding the monster who are fighting against us, but we can't do anything.

Last edited:
•••
they have a few of my sloppy seconds too, lol

•••
they have a few of my sloppy seconds too, lol
over 3,1 mil domains under their portfolio now. And their annual fee is over 25 mil to run this portfolio.
IT means they must sell at least 69k/day to get the renewal fee. Wow.
IF i were them, i will let 50% their domains expired. Too much junks

•••
•••
back to the original post - lets be honest domains are a market that has pretty-much been and gone. Yes I consider myself lucky having brought in to dotcoms as a future investment in 1999. But lets not forget a domain registration (.com etc) was fixed at $70 back then. a lot of money to risk for a gamble on this internet-thing. Of course I got drawn in as soon as the market opened (spent four years studying computer studies in the 80's)
today there isn't a established market there's a pick-up. Based at best on new entities and there entry to market. (I'm talking about new businesses Not new extensions)
look at the amount of domains being offered today that are way after their time-line. it's an easy mistake to be made. Same time look at frivolity . the amount of simply rubbish domains posted with NO sense of "application" or demand is scary. A domain registration has to be right, Not nearly right or related to a sale.

P**hL**t.com my sale tonight. Not a great name but LOOKS absolutely great .and Sold sedo

I pretty sure I've identified the buyer at 1k , and I'm glad - Domaining can be a pretty self-satisfying retirement enterprise. Couldn't imagine anybody thinking of it as a end-game enterprise/income . the Domain Game had 12 good years around 2003 to 2015. Nope you can't reinvent it

Last edited:
•••
"It's Hard to buy good name now."

It's NOT HARD it's just more expensive in 2017 folks.
WHY?
1.Godaddy is pushing their closeout auctions and emailing their customers DAILY upcoming expired domain lists with "valuations" LOL.
2.Godaddy launched the silly "valuations" for their expired auctions resulting IN HIGHER bids placed by inexperienced "investors" thus the prices are WAY Up!
3.A lot more domainers have joined the bandwagon after/during the Chinese investor bubble thus more competition
I can continue....

•••
Hi maxtorz, But why see Godaddy as any part of good domain investing. Their pretty shit on what they choose to retain - they keep loads of my drops, absolutely stunningly stupid keeps even for the most blind of ..com's (maybe good 10 years ago)
Who knows their logic - personally I've kept a few hundred .coms in their control - they have a great team to talk to as and when

Last edited:
•••
I see everything I've dropped, sitting at around 4,000 USD on Godaddy aftermarket . It's called AutoStupid listing/buyers market

•••
"It's Hard to buy good name now."

It's NOT HARD it's just more expensive in 2017 folks.
WHY?
1.Godaddy is pushing their closeout auctions and emailing their customers DAILY upcoming expired domain lists with "valuations" LOL.
2.Godaddy launched the silly "valuations" for their expired auctions resulting IN HIGHER bids placed by inexperienced "investors" thus the prices are WAY Up!
3.A lot more domainers have joined the bandwagon after/during the Chinese investor bubble thus more competition
I can continue....
Yes, yes the total costs are increasing day by day. From Backorder services to Auctions prices.
I remember there is a thread to discuss about Revealing Bidder Name in GD auctions, and i think it's time to do this.
Btw, GD still good if you joint DynaDot Expired Auctions =)) it makes me remember to the early of 2000s =))

•••
I see everything I've dropped, sitting at around 4,000 USD on Godaddy aftermarket . It's called AutoStupid listing/buyers market
Have you access HugeDomain's website ?
They valued shits as the diamond's prices =))

•••
From Dynadot with love =)). From 15.99 to 24.99 =)) I have to sleep now =))

Dear Quang,

Thank you for choosing Dynadot as your domain registrar. We wanted to let you know that we will be raising backorder prices starting on 9/1/17 00:00 PDT (UTC -7). Our new prices will be:

TLD New Price
.BIZ $24.99
.BLACK $24.99
.BLUE $24.99
.CC $39.99
.CO $39.99
.COM $24.99
.IO $64.99
.KIM $24.99
.MOBI $24.99
.NET $24.99
.ORG $24.99
.PRO $24.99
.PROMO $24.99
.TV $39.99
.US $24.99

If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].

Best,
Team Dynadot
dynadot.com

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot just infringes 'again' on what is a worthwhile thread on domain investing in 2017 -

it is a shame that Namepros as a board is so often just hit over and over again when and where there is a worthwhile discussion to be had

•••
@GeorgeQuang -- this is interesting because you're in danger of creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If you believe that all domain auctions go high, then that is what you will find. You will stay away from the auctions as you believe they are all out of reach.

Some yes are high, but not all, and you must seek them out. If that means reg fee, that means reg fee.

•••
There is still plenty of Gold in the expired list. But 400 domains is high for someone just starting out. Say they were all .com 400 x $9.99 = $3996 - you could have got some really good domains with a budget like that. I would have bought say 10 decent ones, kept 5 sold 5 and reinvested.

If you're hand doing hand reg then decide what a good return is. I like the idea of 30x reg fee, but I only do this for fun. So if I lose then I lose, but if only takes one good one to make back all you've spent and more.

•••
Nobody said that domaining is easy. It takes work and experience and also sometimes luck. Look at BitcoinCash.org just registered this year and sold for almost $50,000. I am sure there are other examples with lower selling prices but still good returns. Complaining doesn't help you. https://www.domaininvesting.com/bitcoincash-org-sold-developed/

•••
Nobody said that domaining is easy. It takes work and experience and also sometimes luck. Look at BitcoinCash.org just registered this year and sold for almost $50,000. I am sure there are other examples with lower selling prices but still good returns. Complaining doesn't help you. https://www.domaininvesting.com/bitcoincash-org-sold-developed/

it's important to point out one of the pitfalls of putting too much into sales like one above

as i noticed after the publicity, there was a rash of new registrations in the "btc related" names in .org

where it seems like some are just chasing the extension, because of the sale.

imo....

Last edited:
•••
Just think of how much $ you'd spend on renewing 400 domain names.

Let's say you want to renew 300 of those 400 domains for simplicity, and they'll be renewed at $8 each renewal.

Now 300 domains x $8 renewal cost = $2,400. You can easily find a very good domain or quite a few solid domains for that much, and you'd cut down on your yearly renewal costs with say 1-20 names instead of having 300 each year to renew going forward.

•••
Just think of how much $ you'd spend on renewing 400 domain names.

Let's say you want to renew 300 of those 400 domains for simplicity, and they'll be renewed at $8 each renewal.

Now 300 domains x $8 renewal cost = $2,400. You can easily find a very good domain or quite a few solid domains for that much, and you'd cut down on your yearly renewal costs with say 1-20 names instead of having 300 each year to renew going forward.
Hi, i like to manage a huge portfolio than just have only some names and wait for end-users. My strategy is: having as many quality names with low-price as i can then wait for end-users offer (of course i have Landing Page and already list them on Aftermarkets like Sedo, Afternic)
To have more than 400 names, i have to pay 9k ( 9k is not too much, but to me, it's a long road and hard process to have 9k and invest in domains :xf.cry: ) . Some of my profitable flips below. Unlike newbies are doing ( they invest in hot trend, .ORG, .NET, new GTLD.etc.) I'm just invest in short + cool name in .COM only (and stay await trends - i don't know why, but if you start with a limited capital, you won't have enough money to buy profitable hot trend names) . I'm just start to build my career in this industry, so that my tactics many be have problems, but i will fix it day by day , month by month :)
If i can change this Thread Title, i will change it into " IT's hard to buy good domains with low prices today".
Huge players always have quality domains because they have experiences and capital, for a newbie, we don't have both. So it's hard to begin :)
- Domain name: ColumbusYachts.com
Sale venue
: Landing Page, Inbound
Asking price: USD 1000
Counter Offer: USD 2000
Sale Price: USD 1840
Bought from GD Expired : USD 35.47 on Mar 18, 2017

- Domain name: transnative.com
Sale venue:
Landing Page, Inbound
Asking price: USD 100
Counter Offer: USD 1200
Sale Price: USD 850
Bought from GD Expired : USD 13.47 on April 9, 2017

- Domain name: CarrotCo.com
Sale venue:
SEDO BIN
Sale Price: USD 2500
Bought from GD Expired : USD 20.47 on April 7, 2017

Last edited:
•••
It's one of the best flips and profitable domains. But really really bad example. Why ?
Telling newbies that " Hey you should think that BitcoinCash.org sold for almost $50k and it's just hand-reg domains. So you can do that" is a terrible advice.
1> We all know BitcoinCash, and who can ensure the crypto investers can buy cryptonames with high fix-priced like it ? DO you ?
2> Telling newbies this example get them in the high -confidence emotions, then they are buying .ORG, new gTLD domains which are hard - really hard to sell. There is only 1 BitcoinCash.org.
3> IF you want to state a valued example for newbies, it's better to mention @ramkumaritrvs and his investing strategy in BlockChain + Crypto fields than mention BitoinCash.org

•••
Domain names are like football player transfers prices eg if a football club accepts first offer for their player they will get first offer for that player but if they reject that offer usually another better offer is offered if club rejects that offer sometimes an even better offer is offered etc etc - the only difference between the the first and third or fourth or fifth offer etc is the ability to say no that offer is not enough

The more you say no to offers for your domains the more you will earn from selling the same domain to the same person for more money than they originally offered

Hence the phrase

You don't start making money until you start saying no

Because the juicy money comes from improved offers not the first lowball offers and you have to have said no to the lowball offer to have received an improved offer

•••
Domain names are like football player transfers prices eg if a football club accepts first offer for their player they will get first offer for that player but if they reject that offer usually another better offer is offered if club rejects that offer sometimes an even better offer is offered etc etc - the only difference between the the first and third or fourth or fifth offer etc is the ability to say no that offer is not enough

The more you say no to offers for your domains the more you will earn from selling the same domain to the same person for more money than they originally offered

Hence the phrase

You don't start making money until you start saying no

Because the juicy money comes from improved offers not the first lowball offers and you have to have said no to the lowball offer to have received an improved offer
Cool :D i remember that some one said " The 10k offer comes from rejecting 1k 2k 3k offers".
But you just only say "NO" if you believe that you domain is quality enough.
I say NO some times, and the endusers disappeared after that :xf.laugh:

•••
In domaining there is one rule that has withstood the test of time: quality > quantity
Quantity works only when you have big volume and critical mass ie if you have a portfolio the size of Mann's or HD's.
But you still need some quality.
Making 4 or 5 figures in sales every year is not great when the renewals eat up all your profits.

Personally my aim is to own fewer domains but raise the overall quality.

•••
In domaining there is one rule that has withstood the test of time: quality > quantity
Quantity works only when you have big volume and critical mass ie if you have a portfolio the size of Mann's or HD's.
Making 4 or 5 figures in sales every year is not great when the renewals eat up all your profits.

I'm on the same path and have cut down on my portfolio significantly because of this in the past few years.

•••

Yes, it's the rule #1 when i started to learn about domain industry.
And that's the reason why i haven't bought crazy like HugeDomains. I just buy the names that i think it's possible to sell.
And when a name expired, i will consider carefully to keep or to drop, base on parking Stats and its Potential Buyers. :)
Thanks for your advice.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back