Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is .US dead (??)

Yong1

Established Member
Impact
Is anyone still investing in .US domains?

Has anyone sold any .US domains lately?

Where would you sell them?

Obviously in the .US .com is king too, but I have seen at times .us being used by different companies.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Quality keywords/brands in .US still sell.

•••
If you can't afford a loaf of bread you should be worried about food and not investing. You say that .us is useless, but i say you're wrong because I am already using it. I wonder how many .US you own or plan to? Should be 0 with you making that statement. You said useless extension but it is America's only cctld like it or not.

Imagine! Yes only American extension, but no good percentage of American show any loyalty to the extension.

•••
Imagine! Yes only American extension, but no good percentage of American show any loyalty to the extension.
I suggest you read through the posts in the thread.
When investing you want to be there before the crowd, not afterwards.

•••
.IN domains for 2 billion population country - 2MM registered
Reaction: ROI and potential for growth is incredible, .IN has now started moving at a really fast pace (this mostly due to registering Chinese (!) premium 4L and 4-5 Ns). It is a great investment oppurtunity and will surely follow and surpass the success of .de and .co.uk

.US domains for 0.3 billion population country - 1.7MM registered
Reaction: I honestly think that .US is a very risky investment for domaining as .COM is and always will be king in the USA.

Go figure... .US without Chinese premium craze and with heavy limitation who can get it is has 85% of .IN registrations that can be registered by anyone, and yet, compare the reactions.

@Recons.Com , I completely agree with you in regards to your statement about the comparison of .US with .IN

To be honest, I only believe in investing in a very few cctlds, the two established ones that are still doing great and will continue to do so are .co.uk & .de of course, after that I have a strong faith in that .IN is the best opportunity in the world right now in terms of domain investment and ROI. I honestly believe that .IN will ultimately surpass all three, .co.uk, .de and .cn and become the top cctld in the world within the next 3-4 years. In regards to .us, it just will never be able to fully mature due to the fact that .com is and always will be the national extension for USA. This is not the case for India and therefore .IN is already exploding at a massive rate and there is plenty more growth left yet, so .IN definitely IMO is the best out there if someone is looking for ROI in the next couple of years. LLL.ins & .IN Keywords are growing massively in popularity right now.

Most people within America and also globally, always associate .COM as being USA based. The American population have grown up with .com as their primary extension and therefore that country is unlike any other country in the world when it comes to domain name extensions, end users already have a preference for .com as their national/country extension whereas in other parts of the world such as the UK, China, India and Germany, we do not look at .com as being a national extension for national based businesses and services, we look at our own cctld. The problem with .us, is that it is trying to compete in a country in which .com was born and is associated as being the only major extension for sites. India & China are only just starting to embrace the online world and therefore they are looking at their own country extensions, plus the Indian government themselves are only pushing .IN

•••
•••
I own around 500 LLL.us and sold a couple a month in a range of $200-$1,000
I don't complain since my cost is around $10-$20 a piece.

Just out of curiosity, can you give me an example of one which you have recently sold?

•••
@Recons.Com , I completely agree with you in regards to your statement about the comparison of .US with .IN

To be honest, I only believe in investing in a very few cctlds... .IN

It sounds like you are saying the usTLD will never mature because the general public in the U.S accept .com as the usTLD and do not accept the actual .usTLD
Yet .net, .co, .cc, and potential other gTLD like xyz can be accepted by the U.S? and do well?

The main problem for the .us is not a lack of acceptance, its a lack of awareness. Public awareness. This will change.

•••
Following is just a few of many foreign companies using .us, Viva.us, hitachi.us, IcelandAir.us, ClubMed.us,....seems like quite a few companies are using local cctld's to target local markets, and the us is a desirable market to target:)

•••
Following is just a few of many foreign companies using .us, Viva.us, hitachi.us, IcelandAir.us, ClubMed.us,....seems like quite a few companies are using local cctld's to target local markets, and the us is a desirable market to target:)
You could also quote volvo.us and there are others. It's interesting that all those prominent .us end users are foreign companies. They use ccTLDs extensively so they don't have a particular bias against .us. They just do like in the other national markets.
It is a sad irony that the most loyal end users of .us are not US companies.

The problem is that domainers apply the reasoning to any extension, and the crowd won't come. I like to say that in domaining you don't want to be a first mover but a fast second.

I was already buying .us ten years ago. I have made some good sales but overall it's a disappointing extension. I think US exceptionalism applies here. I just don't see how .us could become a 'normal' ccTLD. The US is the only major country that shuns its own extension.

•••
You could also quote volvo.us and there are others. It's interesting that all those prominent .us end users are foreign companies. .

That's fine... Because it just may be the movement from foreign industries, individuals from other countries, and immigrants establishing businesses in the U.S that help make the usTLD take off..

Again, I think it is a misconception to say that the U.S public is not loyal to the usTLD or that the general public does not accept the usTLD. I think it is a lack of awareness. As more websites start to use the usTLD and the public becomes more aware of the usTLD the extension will increase in value.

Many U.S citizens are crazy patriotic. The U.S is notoriously egotistic. The public just in general are not very aware of this viable option and what it means.

•••
That's fine... Because it just may be the movement from foreign industries, individuals from other countries, and immigrants establishing businesses in the U.S that help make the usTLD take off..

Again, I think it is a misconception to say that the U.S public is not loyal to the usTLD or that the general public does not accept the usTLD. I think it is a lack of awareness. As more websites start to use the usTLD and the public becomes more aware of the usTLD the extension will increase in value.

Many U.S citizens are crazy patriotic. The U.S is notoriously egotistic. The public just in general are not very aware of this viable option and what it means.

It.........hasn't...........happened. It's been out there for like 15 years.

What is supposed to happen now that will all of a sudden make them aware? It's always been .com for the U.S.

Do you mean you expect some crowd to come and people who are investing now are before them? What crowd exactly?

Can you guys point to any data whatsoever in that happening? I posted some showing otherwise.

TLDHistory1_02a4235b-7147-4bb0-8215-5ae459493dd2.png

•••
I don't know what kind of expectations investors have for .us

I see .us used by local businesses all the time. It has 1.7MM names, which means most valuable ones are taken. No, most end users will not pay $xxxx, because at that price they still can get very nice .com, so they want it either at hand reg (they don't mind long ones, digits, multiple words etc.) or $xx or low $xxx. But, yes, for many US businesses it is second choice after .com, I certainly see more .us than .net, .biz and new gtld combined around (.org is different category).

.com prices really have to triple-quadruple for .us get into high $xxx to low $xxxx territory casually.

And, frankly, after 1MM names, there are not many names of good quality available for non-dotcoms and growing from 1.7MM to 5MM will not change a damn thing for the price of good quality ones.

•••
Overall increase with periodical rise and falls is a typical pattern seen. It is called cycling. You've left out a lot of necessary information to understand the line graph.

Is this new registrations, or renewals, or current existing registrations,. Drops from investors can skew statistics. Other information is needed to make a conclusion. Also, is this information just with the registry enom, or is this information for all registry? You need to provide more information.

When you ask, "Do you mean you expect some crowd to come and people who are investing now are before them? What crowd exactly?" (Lions)..... Umm, I never mentioned a crowd and the question sounds pretty silly.

When you ask "Can you guys point to any data whatsoever in that happening? I posted some showing otherwise.".(Lions).....Umm, your data didn't show otherwise and doesn't provide enough information because you left it out. Also, I don't know who "you guys are"... but I'd like to know who the other guy is with me.

I gave references before hand... Refer back to my previous post.

•••
Now I see the disconnect, flippers and developers/marketers value names differently.
Nobody has talked about development and how a category killer one word .us domain name performs in sem, ppc, display, etc. Higher ctr? Higher conversions? i Would easily Pay xxx-xxxx Right now for something comparable to autos, cars, homes, furniture,..etc.. anyways I will be starting a ppc adwords campaign for a couple .us sites and measure its performance so I can see for myself. Would have been nice if somebody would have provided that information. Btw lll's and nnn's imo are good investments for the long term especially considering development for these type of names is not really an option. Good luck everybody I don't think there's anything else to say here.

P.s. as for the crowd comment that was me, meaning more competition to aquire the best names and the best names are keywords not lll's.

Last edited:
•••
Is anyone still investing in .US domains?

Has anyone sold any .US domains lately?

Where would you sell them?

Obviously in the .US .com is king too, but I have seen at times .us being used by different companies.
It does seem that .us has lost its popularity even in the United States. I say it it best to stick to .com if at all possible.

•••
•••
It does seem that .us has lost its popularity even in the United States. I say it it best to stick to .com if at all possible.
How can .US lose its popularity if it was never popular? Of course .com is the most preferred extension of all, but what do you do if you can't find the.com you want, get a new gtld LOL?

•••
Overall increase with periodical rise and falls is a typical pattern seen. It is called cycling. You've left out a lot of necessary information to understand the line graph.

Is this new registrations, or renewals, or current existing registrations,. Drops from investors can skew statistics. Other information is needed to make a conclusion. Also, is this information just with the registry enom, or is this information for all registry? You need to provide more information.

When you ask, "Do you mean you expect some crowd to come and people who are investing now are before them? What crowd exactly?" (Lions)..... Umm, I never mentioned a crowd and the question sounds pretty silly.

When you ask "Can you guys point to any data whatsoever in that happening? I posted some showing otherwise.".(Lions).....Umm, your data didn't show otherwise and doesn't provide enough information because you left it out. Also, I don't know who "you guys are"... but I'd like to know who the other guy is with me.

I gave references before hand... Refer back to my previous post.

It's not called cycling, it's called dropping.

2 years ago, April 2014, 1.83 million - http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2014.php

Today 1.67 million - http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx

Some of the reasons why people have referenced older threads on .us, is because you're saying the same stuff as other people have over the years. Take some time and read them and you'll see. They had less competition back then. You notice they're dropping as the new gtlds are coming out. More options (competition) in the extensions people settle for category.

Last edited:
•••
It's not called cycling, it's called dropping.

2 years ago, April 2014, 1.83 million - http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2014.php

Today 1.67 million - http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx

Some of the reasons why people have referenced older threads on .us, is because you're saying the same stuff as other people have over the years. Take some time and read them and you'll see. They had less competition back then. You notice they're dropping as the new gtlds are coming out. More options (competition) in the extensions people settle for category.

Good research.

I think .US will consolidate around 1 million names because now it has to also compete with nTLDs.

•••
But still 1 million is lot of names :)

•••
But still 1 million is lot of names :)
If you stacked up 1 million domain names on top of each other it would reach the moon and back 16 times:)

•••
•••
•••
I know @Duke has a lot .US domains. What is his opinion?

•••
.US isnt dead, you all are just unconscious..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back