Dynadot

Is this a new scam? Rec'd email from "Broker"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

enterscope

Domain InvestmentsTop Member
Impact
I received the perfect email from a "Broker" that every domainer would love to receive, but it seems way too good to be true. Seems strange considering the domain in question was listed on Sedo for $XXXX

Here is most if it:

Hello!

I'm a broker of an investor from USA who needs <domain name removed> for a new project.

My investor may offer a sum in $10,000 - $50,000 range.. If you expect another figure, we can discuss it.

Please specify your desired asking price in the subject of your message.

Our company is in a web hosting business. We also provide brokerage services for domain buyers.

If you have other domains please email me the list with prices. I may offer your domains for sale to my clients.

How can we transfer money to you (escrow, wire, Paypal or Western Union)?

Best Regards,

Now his signature had all of his details name, company, phone, address and the company appears to be a legitimate company. That is what has me boggled. I sent a reply basically saying how fishy the email sounded, and to reassure me this is a legitimate offer and not some scam.

One thing that is strange is the domain name used for his email address FORWARDS to company url in signature. His email is [email protected] and the company URL is XXXXXXX.com

I found one other discussion about a similar email posted just a few days ago at:
http://www.nairaland.com/1239593/domain-name-business-easiest-most/186#32872987

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This not a new scam. Rather a very old one.

•••
I had one "broker" from Norway, advising me his client would pay $xx,xxx for a domain I had listed on Sedo for $200, LOL.

•••
I emailed him back asking to reassure me that it was a legitimate offer and not some appraisal scam.... and less than a minute later I get this reply:

My client offers a sum in $10,000 - $50,000 range. The exact figure will depend on the appraisal results (see below).

Before we go further we need only one thing from you:

My client is a professional. He can invest in certified names only.

If your domain has been certified, please email me the certificate and we will proceed with the sale. If you don’t have a certificate it’s not a problem. I may send you a link where you can obtain it. Please don’t worry. It takes 1-2 minutes to order it. The results will be sent to you within 24 hours. Then you send me the certificate via email and we’ll proceed with the sale

The certification includes the following:

1. Independent valuation of the market price. It will show your domain name is not overpriced. On the other hand if the valuation comes higher we will increase the price accordingly.

2. Trademark infringement verification. It proves your domain has no trademark problems.

3. Verification of the owner. It proves you are a legitimate owner and your domain has no any obligations and restrictions. I’m sure that you are a legitimate owner so it will be only a formality.

As a broker I’m very interested in a good valuation part of this certificate because my client pays me a commission (10-15% of the sale price) on every domain purchase. So I’m not interested in a low price too.

•••
Yes mine was very similar. It's an appraisal scam.

•••
Yes mine was very similar. It's an appraisal scam.

Had me all excited for a second... what a certified jerk.

•••
•••
Yes, I was heartbroken, LOL!

•••
"My client may offer a sum in $10,000 - $50,000 range" :xf.grin:

•••
The moment someone says "certified" and mentions the range , it's a SCAM!

I

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back