Dynadot

Is this a common GoDaddy practice?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

pier0

Established Member
Impact
I've been a happy GoDaddy/Afternic customer for 10 years, but the other day I've noticed a five figures domain missing from my GoDaddy account.

Knowing that domains listed for fast transfer on Afternic are exempt from the DTVS process (GoDaddy phone call to confirm a transfer out) and than when sold they are removed immediately from the account, I've checked if a sale had been confirmed, but found no trace of it.

I then emailed my GoDaddy account manager and asked him, who confirmed the domain sold and the sale was pending while Afternic verified the payment.

Now more than 48 hours later there is no trace of a sale having been agreed on Afternic nor I received any information let alone a confirmation.

Do you think is acceptable than domains are removed/cancelled from a Godaddy account, pending a sale verification, with no hint of information in regards to the reason for their removal/cancellation?
Is this a common GoDaddy practice ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No. I don't think it's acceptable. But they are the elephant on the block. They can practically do whatever they like. I'd complain to your account manager about the lack of transparency.

•••
They would only do that to me once and GoDaddy would be ByeDaddy for me.

•••
Do you think is acceptable than domains are removed/cancelled from a Godaddy account, pending a sale verification, with no hint of information in regards to the reason for their removal/cancellation?

No, I don't think it's acceptable and I think it's a terrible business practice not to at least send a notification email of a pending sale. Quite frankly, it's inexplicable, why this continues to happen to GD customers/sellers!

•••
They would only do that to me once and GoDaddy would be ByeDaddy for me.

With all their problems. They're already gone for me as a Registrar :( However, I should state that I still get the occasional sale out of them.

Last edited:
•••
With all their problems. They're already gone for me as a Registrar :(

Yup... I keep stuff at godaddy I intend to flip fairly fast because it's an easy push but my full portfolio is someplace else.

Last edited:
•••
That's how they always do it. When the name sold on afternic and is in godaddy registar. I am sure 100% you will get paid. I would not worry about it. Make sure you got payment information in your afternic account!

•••
Can you not see the sale in your afternic account?

•••
Yup... I keep in there stuff I intend to flip fairly fast because it's an easy push but my full portfolio is someplace else.

What? You call a push easy at GoDaddy? It's a nightmare. 100% of all recent pushes I've had into my account, my acceptance of the domain has been rejected. Calling for a request for cancellation of the push and to push again without change of registration info. This will at least get the domain into your account. But when you then change the whois details, it triggers another round of email approvals to the buyer and seller. When I approve from my side. My approval is still rejected. Then, lo and behold, 4 hours later I get an email from GoDaddy that transfer has been approved. WTF. When they've already REJECTED my approval.

•••
Funny.... mine are smooth as silk and I have never had an issue. I find most users have a godaddy account and its pretty simple the push the domain. Maybe I'm just lucky but seriously they have been sooo smooth for me it's not even funny. Just did one this morning, everything went exactly as planned.

•••
Not for me. A nightmare. Perhaps you could explain your process. In case I'm missing something. If I sell a domain on GoDaddy, I prefer to let the buyer pay for a transfer. It's easier. At least, to me.

•••
I have seen much reduced communications from GoDaddy over any sale for years too. To the point, as a seller. You have no idea what is going on any more.

•••
Funny.... mine are smooth as silk and I have never had an issue. I find most users have a godaddy account and its pretty simple the push the domain. Maybe I'm just lucky but seriously they have been sooo smooth for me it's not even funny. Just did one this morning, everything went exactly as planned.
My experience has been the same as yours.

•••
Not for me. A nightmare. Perhaps you could explain your process. In case I'm missing something. If I sell a domain on GoDaddy, I prefer to let the buyer pay for a transfer. It's easier. At least, to me.
Pushing and transferring are all pretty much automated at GoDaddy. The only waiting I've ever had to endure on a transfer involving GoDaddy was from the other registrar.

Last edited:
•••
I think this is par for the course and the issue is not GoDaddy but rather afternic and the terms you agreed to when you started using them.

FastTransfer kinda bothers me...

•••
Fast Transfer is great! People want their purchased domain as quickly as possible, but how hard is it to send an automated email to the account holder telling them a domain has sold and has been fast transferred out of your account. Doesn't seem too much to ask so you are not panicking, thinking your domain has been hijacked? The OP claims 48 hours have gone by with zero notifications?

•••
Fast Transfer is great! People want their purchased domain as quickly as possible, but how hard is it to send an automated email to the account holder telling them a domain has sold and has been fast transferred out of your account. Doesn't seem too much to ask so you are not panicking, thinking your domain has been hijacked? The OP claims 48 hours have gone by with zero notifications?

So again in this case, seems like an Afternic issue...

They tell GoDaddy that domain is sold but they did not tell the OP that their domain was sold. =)

•••
Pushing and transferring are all pretty much automated at GoDaddy. The only waiting I've ever had to endure on a transfer involving GoDaddy was from the other registrar.

Just wait until you go to accept the whois change details on an incoming push and they tell you they have rejected your acceptance because it is invalid. If I'm the only one experiencing this, I think I'm justified in being paranoid :) My last three incoming domains have all been the same way.

The irony here is why do they even ask you to validate the transfer, when they have already decided the acceptance will be invalid, beforehand.

Last edited:
•••
A few months ago, afternic somehow took a sold domain out of my network solutions account with zero approval on my end. I did not opt the name in for fast (automatic) transfer, and I did not click on any link to approve an ownership transfer. Afternic just picked the domain right out of the registrar account without any kind of ownership verification or approval.

I spent two days trying to get the domain back, as I thought it was stolen. Afternic then told me that they sold the name for me, and just took it out of the registrar account by themselves to fulfill the sale.

One email I was wrongly sent during this mess showed me that buyer actually paid $400-500 above my list price. I never saw any of that additional $ and they never explained me where that money went or how they managed to pull the domain out of its registrar account without prior approval by registrant.

I opt in all my names to fast transfer at my main registrar, and have no problem with them taking names out of my account when I have given them prior approval. But I found this to be a disturbing incident, as I had not opted the name in for fast transfer, and I did not approve any kind of account push or ownership transfer. The name just vanished from my account.

•••
@Arca - In reality you should be p'd off with NetSol. For allowing this to happen. What did they say when you asked them about it?

•••
@stub - Netsol said talk to afternic to get it sorted out. They said they don't have access to the details of the transfer, even though it happened at their own registrar.

Afternic only responded to a single email about this where they said they "found a way" or something along those lines to take the domain out of my account, and then ignored all other emails from me about this incident. I was never given any explanation of what happened by either party.

•••
Just wait until you go to accept the whois change details on an incoming push and they tell you they have rejected your acceptance because it is invalid. If I'm the only one experiencing this, I think I'm justified in being paranoid :) My last three incoming domains have all been the same way.

The irony here is why do they even ask you to validate the transfer, when they have already decided the acceptance will be invalid, beforehand.

Ahh, yes you need to go to your godaddy account and re-login before you click the link in the email or you will get an invalid notification. I have had that happen.

•••
Can you not see the sale in your afternic account?

No, there is nothing yet on the main dashboard under My Domain Sales nor under the Portfolio-Domains Sold.
Only if I search for the domain under Domain Portfolio, I can see that its status is "pending sale".

•••
Afternic only responded to a single email about this where they said they "found a way" or something along those lines to take the domain out of my account, and then ignored all other emails from me about this incident. I was never given any explanation of what happened by either party.

That's disgraceful and it suggests that we all are just one bad employee away from major theft happening.

•••
wow... this is serious and no one bothered to mention @Joe Styler ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back