IT.COM

GoDaddy - Domain listing service

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cillx

Established Member
Impact
I found one domain missing from my GoDaddy portfolio. Normally this means "pending sales" so I rushed into my Afternic account looking for the lucky domain, but I couldn't find any pending sale. So I started to search on my GoDaddy account, What was the missing domain and what has happened to that domain name. Then on GoDaddy under "domain listing service" I found one of my domains' status has been changed to "on hold".

On Hold status describe on GoDaddy as following,

A potential buyer added the domain to the cart for purchasing. You can't make changes to the price until the hold is removed. Domain is still listed for sale until the potential buyer completes the purchase. If this status has not changed in the last 72 hours, please contact support.

To check, how this works I added my own domain to a cart on a different GoDaddy account and let it be there but the status of that particular domain didn't change to "on hold". Further now it has been nearly 7 days but the status of the domain hasn't changed. I contacted Afternic support but no reply yet.

This is the very first time I discovered the "domain listing service" tab on GoDaddy. Does anyone has any prior experience in a similar situation? Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
No but intrigued by this post and will follow. I have had names go missing but not for some time but they were long gone before noticed. Issues i have had is the bulk tick feature and deleting names you just changed dns etc as still clicked just not obvious on screen.

Last edited:
•••
Any update !? @cillx
i had the same case today ( or maybe from before but today i recognized ) ,
on godaddy portfolio one domain is on hold status !
Anyone else experienced the same before ??

domaon on hold.PNG

Last edited:
•••
Anyone else experienced the same before

Yes I have had the same thing you and @cillx describe above. In my case, the domain eventually (about 3 or so days) returned to 'active' status.

I never reached out to get details of their timeline...for some reason I always thought it was 72 hours. If a longer period is happening the 'buyer' might keep adding it to their cart either trying to decide if they really want it or they are being a jerk and know they are keeping out of active listings.

•••
Thanks @Mister Funsky
i will wait some days and see how will end up , hopfully sale !

•••
@lovely4ever @Mister Funsky

I received the following replies from my GoDaddy account manager.

1st reply - The "On hold" status means that someone placed the domain in their cart but hasn't purchased it yet. It's possible that they will still purchase it or it's possible that they placed it in their cart by accident. Unfortunately I don't have a way of seeing who placed it in their cart so I can not contact them.

2nd reply - Ah, I didn't realize it had been on hold for that long - I believe it's only supposed to be on hold for one day. I spoke with our Aftermarket team and they removed the hold and said it had gotten "stuck".

You're correct - when you place a domain in the cart it only stays in there for around 5 hours and then will drop out. This is so that people can't "hold" a domain hostage from other potential buyers.

That paragraph that you sent does not make sense - thank you for sending that to me. I will get that sent over to our development team for review.

Last edited:
•••
Any update !? @cillx
i had the same case today ( or maybe from before but today i recognized ) ,
on godaddy portfolio one domain is on hold status !
Anyone else experienced the same before ??

Show attachment 198938

That paragraph that you sent does not make sense - thank you for sending that to me. I will get that sent over to our development team for review.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back