Dynadot

Afternic and GoDaddy don't exactly see eye-to-eye...

NameSilo
Got an email this morning from Afternic congratulating me on a domain sale.

Problem is, I haven't owned that domain for over a year. It was regged with GoDaddy and I let it expire.

This name was listed on the Afternic site, but I set up my Afternic account years ago. And since GoDaddy now owns Afternic, I figured any changes in my GoDaddy account would be reflected in my Afternic inventory (i.e., I let a name drop from my GoDaddy inventory, it would automatically drop it from my Afternic inventory).

Guess I was wrong.

2 0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Problem is, I haven't owned that domain for over a year. It was regged with GoDaddy and I let it expire.

This name was listed on the Afternic site, but I set up my Afternic account years ago. And since GoDaddy now owns Afternic, I figured any changes in my GoDaddy account would be reflected in my Afternic inventory (i.e., I let a name drop from my GoDaddy inventory, it would automatically drop it from my Afternic inventory).

Guess I was wrong.
Congrats, on the sale you may need to pay a redemption fee to get domain back I think you have like 28 days after expiry. 16 with no fee after that fees for redemption.

Congrats, on the sale you may need to pay a redemption fee to get domain back I think you have like 28 days after expiry. 16 with no fee after that fees for redemption.
Daniel. I don't want the name back. I'm just trying to shine a spotlight on Afternic/GoDaddy practices that allows a domain listed on Afternic (from long ago) to remain on site even after GoDaddy has removed it from my inventory (because I didn't want it anymore, so I let it expire).

Aren't GoDaddy & Afternic synced up?

I doubt it. They are separate entities of the same branch of company (to avoid a monopoly).

LoveCatchyDomains

Top Contributor
Impact

Ask them if you can have some of the profit!

karmaco

Top Contributor
Impact
The problem is you dropped a name that someone else picked up and neither one of you updated your Afternic portfolios for a year.

If the name doesn’t drop it stays on Afternic until deleted or sold.

It up to you to keep your account up to date. Not AN or GD.

Bean

Top Contributor
Impact
Well, I've had something similar happen to me within Godaddy itself. A Godaddy broker contacted me with an offer from a client regarding a name that I had listed on their marketplace. Only thing is I'd already sold the domain 6-7 months earlier that year and I'm pretty sure I removed the listing from Godaddy. What really sucks is that it was a pretty damn good first offer too, I'd sold the domain for quite a bit less.
Another instance, this time from Afternic, I got the congratulations your domain has sold email for a domain I had not owned for more than 3 years lol. As it turned out, it was a domain I had sold to Namepros member, I got in touch with him and luckily he was able to close the deal on his end :xf.smile:

Ste Ven

StevensDomains.comUpgraded Member
Impact
It up to you to keep your account up to date. Not AN or GD.
While it would be nice if they would sync up ~ Its ultimately up to you to keep your records in order.