Dynadot

Why is GoDaddy not merging with Afternic?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Your registrar's advantage over GoDaddy

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Price

• Customer Support

• Trustworthiness

• Ease of use

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Windoms

Top Member
Impact
Afternic's platform is old.
-There's a lot of odd things. Like the random review you get sometimes when adding domains to your account (quite strange).
-Getting an answer from support takes time.
-The ''All Domains'' page can't remember to show 50 domains per page.. its constantly resetting to 10. lol.
-Anyone can add any domain to his account.. I often have to ask afternic support to remove a domain from the marketplace so that I can add it to my account. They simply do it. I mean, I could have any domain removed. For no reason. Even yours.
+ everything that can be found when you type afternic on namepros.

Obviously Afternic is not top priority for Godaddy.

Maybe you all know something I don't. I'm thinking Godaddy wants to kill Afternic. Or they're working on some new feature on Godaddy.com that will make Afternic obsolete. They've acquired Afternic, they've got all the knowledge, having two different platforms is quite odd when they could have everything in one place. Or maybe they simply acquired a company then forgot about it because of large company management issues.

What is going on with Afternic?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I honestly think its laziness and not wanting to spend any money fixing it all.

•••
•••
Must be hard being Joe.

Lol.PNG

lol

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
Where is the "All of the Above" option?

•••
Where is the "All of the Above" option?
It wouldnt be fair.
Why are you guys voting ''ease of use''?
Also Godaddy discount club .com renewal is 8.29$. Whos got cheaper?

•••
It wouldnt be fair.
Why are you guys voting ''ease of use''?
Also Godaddy discount club .com renewal is 8.29$. Whos got cheaper?
You know, it's your poll, but you don't like the answers that you are getting and questioning why people are choosing them? That's not right.

All of the above is fair and that's my answer. I am not a member of the club because of the other 3 options. Customer support sucks. (Joe is a great exception, though.) Trustworthiness: I have had a domain taken back from godaddy because they said someone registered before me. The exact time of creation was the time I regged it and the owner info never updated with a name. They took it back a day or two after I had it in my account. So, I dont trust them. Also, their interface absolutely sucks, so Ease of Use is absolutely a reason. So All of the Above is my choice.

Edit: If you or others don't like my response, I refer you to my Signature. That's why I have it.

Last edited:
•••
I was just trying to gain insight.
I like godaddys interface more than dynadot.
Namecheap is nice. But i prefer godaddy.
Uniregistry's interface is nice but I personally think there's a lot going on once you go into domain management mode.
Im asking so that we can share our opinions and gain insight. Because of godaddys reputation with some domainers, the all of the above poll answer wouldn't be very constructive.

I personally think customer support is excellent. Especially with the ability to use live chat and have all your issues resolved instantly. You can ask them to add a domain you've just deleted and they'll do it instantly. You can refund anything over chat. Ask anything. Yesterday I couldnt access the view personal info on any of my domains (whois privacy). I asked them whats up and the lady told me: first try in private window (it worked), then clear your cookies (it worked). Instantly.

As for pricing, I think renewal prices are good for all extensions if you are part of discount club. I haven't compared with others so I want to know who is beating the 8.29$ .com renewal.
You can have multiple accounts. For example one account for those ''lean'' domains that you renew, privacy everything. Another account for those questionable domains you don't renew, no privacy. Then monitor sales between the two.

Godaddy is established and pushing a domain to other accounts is seamless. Better for endusers.

I could see why some would go elsewhere because of free whois privacy. But what else?

•••
The one thing Uniregistry excels at is searching for available extensions. I still use them for that feature. I've only registered one domain over there.
The interface is very nice. But I think Godaddy is more navigation/reading friendly.
Haven't tried Uniregistry on mobile.

•••
imo, for larger scale domain owners there's really little in comparison between how excellent Uniregistry is vs Godaddy which is somewhat cumbersome, confusing and difficult to use, has poor bulk operations, and most columns cannot be arranged in a custom or user specified order (only a relative few can be rearranged), which can be real annoying. Another serious GD negative is it's real unclear or obvious to see which extensions are taken but very easy on Uni, sometimes I think GD may not what you to know that info as it's far from obvious.

The Uniregistry platform is so much superior to GD overall t's hard to put it in words but for the average person with only a few domains GD is good. On the plus side, GDs 24x7 support is usually excellent for everyone and their support people are well trained, professional and friendly. With that big plus I would recommend GD for a new or small domainer or average end-users. For large domainers Uniregistry is light-years ahead, especially of you take into consideration the usually very good DNS brokers, with GD extremely lacking in that regard.

Last edited:
•••
I don't like the ever-changing nightmare that is known as GD's interface. It's clunky and a PITA to use. Takes me much longer to do simple tasks on there than on other registrars I use.

Now going over to the topic of Afternic, it's very slow and that includes payout times and responses. I've sent emails all last week and still haven't received 1 reply. You have people there keeping names they don't own listed constantly. You have people leaving names that are not even registered anymore (I found at least 6 yesterday alone during a search for names.)

As far as pricing is concerned I can save money without joining a club on up to hundreds of domains at another registrar. I would need to own around 500 names just to break even on pricing with GDDC so why bother when the interface sucks. I've used GD for over 15 years now and it's just gotten worse over time. Pretty atrocious when you consider how much bankroll they have.

•••
•••
There is already a whole thread on this question, with some answers from Godaddy, and lists of problems:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/problems-bugs-and-fixes-at-afternic-report-problems-here.1006373/

Basically they have said they won't fix the problems or spend any money.
Not accurate.
There is a thread from May 2017 where @Joe Styler is saying that they are working on new things on Afternic.
I jumped to the end of your 36 page thread and started reading everything that contains the word ''Joe Styler'' up to page 25. There's a lot of things thrown at him lol. Here is what he is saying on page 25. February 2018.

''Yes we will not be getting rid of Afternic we are simply trying some additional ways to help people manage their domain listings.''
''I try and let people know what is happening as soon as I know. We had some other big projects come up that are taking priority. Fixing bugs is different than adding new features and we routinely fix any bugs we see and add smaller new features. There is also ongoing work for changes that come as a result of partners on the platform and making sure that domains are still able to be sold across a network of over 100 major resellers each with their own technology and platforms. Afternic gets a lot of development work done each week.''

Then the same @Joe Styler Page 36. September 2018. 3 days ago.
It depends on various factors for how/ when people get paid. We are working on a project to pay people faster but it will not be until early next year but it should significantly improve the payout speed. We also hired more support staff last month, and added a support team in Europe to help with faster turn around time on Afternic and GoDaddy Aftermarket tickets. That was a substantial investment in time and money to help improve the service level. We have some other service level changes coming in the next months that will continue to improve the experience.

He basically said, 3 days ago, that they are working on new things. And that they added a support team in Europe to help with both Afternic AND GoDaddy aftermarket tickets.
Given that they haven't touched the domain under review issue, or the all domains page that is constantly going back to showing 10 listings per page, or that anyone can add any domain to his account. I think they are either going to kill Afternic or develop a whole new Afternic that is directly accessed through Godaddy. It wouldn't make sense to have 2 different platforms with competition lurking around.

•••
Afternic's platform is old.
Godaddy's platform must be as old too.
I am talking about the back-end, not the front-end.
The bugs that you describe at Afternic are more or less the same as GD so there is no benefit to merging two platfoms that are equally old and deficient.

Speaking from the point of view of a programmer, an old system means there is a lot of technical baggage in the form of customization and arcane bugs.
Very probably, the people who set up the systems left the company a long time ago, and they have been replaced multiple times. So you end up with a big ball of mud.
Remember that a program almost never gets rewritten from scratch, we simply keep adding features and layers, resulting in bloated code and increasing complexity.
So it's technically challenging to do a huge migration right, without causing damage.

Even large banks have had lots of problems with mergers (or splits). Example: the TSB split from Lloyds has been a huge mess and a PR nightmare.
So the rule of the game is: you don't fix what ain't broken. And if it's broken, you don't touch it cause you could break it even more.

•••
I have no technical knowledge so thank you @Kate. What you said just makes my point stronger.
They left all these errors behind which is telling me they are working on something brand new (as @Joe Styler has said. But redesigning everything from the ground up and not merging (strengthening) Godaddy is quite odd, especially with competitors lurking around.
@creataweb I agree other platforms are smoother.
@namemarket you've made very strong points about Uniregistry. Exactly the opposite of what I thought ''I personally think there's a lot going on once you go into domain management mode.'' Thank you.

This is exactly what I've been wondering about. What advantage does your registrar have over GoDaddy?
All I remember from other threads is Godaddy woof woof, domainer hate Godaddy woof woof. namesilo 1$ woof woof. free whois woof woof. lol.
Thank you for this constructive information.
So far I have 90% of my domains at Godaddy, and I don't have many so I can still switch to another registrar.
Even if Dynadot has both sedomls and afternic premium, I prefer Namecheap and Uniregistry.
And now with what @namemarket has said about Uniregistry's large portfolio management tools and brokers, I prefer Uniregistry over Namecheap. Unless Namecheap has something I'm unaware of.
Please share your registrar's advantage over Godaddy, so that others can find what they need.
@namemarket, what's up with those DNS brokers?

•••
Even though you asked a question, you've pretty much rejected all answers or opinions that others have issued and are defending GD/Afternic vigorously. It's great that you love Afternic and GD so much but what exactly is your point now if you're not even willing to accept the opinions and answers of others? This is best illustrated by your latest comment. Seriously, if you're not willing to accept that other can and are critical of GD and it's platforms, then why bother with this sham poll and thread?

I think @CJ6's sig says it best (Reproducing here for context):
What I say are my thoughts. Deal with it. I'm not a politician and don't change on your every whimper. Quit acting like a stereotypical millennial.

•••
Basically they have said they won't fix the problems or spend any money.

This is where they say that, aside from the fact anyone can see they don't fix even the simplest reported problems - this is Godaddy's Paul Nicks being quoted in the Afternic thread at post #278

https://www.namepros.com/threads/pr...rt-problems-here.1006373/page-12#post-6149423

So, instead of a heavy marketing expense to try and prop up a marketplace as the best search option, we made a bet that it would be easier for us -and more profitable for our customers- if we focused all of our energy on selling domains via our reseller network. So instead of investing money and resources into trying to get small businesses to visit Afternic, we are investing in expanding our reach at registrars, where customers already are.

Last edited:
•••
Allow me to correct you.
Basically they said they won't be making heavy marketing expenses to try and get small businesses to visit Afternic. They are investing in expanding their reach at registrars. That was march 2017.
Nothing about a new platorm, we can only guess.

@anantj I am just inviting everyone to tell us why others are better than GoDaddy.
Woof woof, I wasn't trying to offend Im just asking for substance. Besides cheap first time registration and free whois. Free whois is very nice. But cheap first time registration followed by nothing is a joke.
@namemarket shared good points about @Uniregistry and I'm sure people want to know those. Substance.
I am not defending Godaddy vigorously, I am openly sharing what I've noticed so that others can correct me and tell me about other registrars.

Yesterday I learned about HosterStats.com because someone shared it on a comment. It shows you how many times a domain has been registered/deleted/transferred. I guess you all knew about it but I only found out about it yesterday. Maybe share with noobs when they post beginner threads as its quite a tool.

So far this is what I've noticed as for registrars.
Dynadot. sedomls and afternic premium. Layout can be improved.
Namecheap. 2nd largest registrar. Very nice. Easy to use. Founder's mission seems genuine. Can't find any negatives which is good.
Namesilo. Cheap first time registration. I know nothing about Namesilo.
Uniregistry. Premium & professional feel. Smooth interface. Has a lot of things available for users. Also chosen by some structured and down to earth domainers.
Also found this, interview with the founder @Uniregistry who once had the largest domain portfolio, along with being the founder of domainnamesales (uniregistry's brokers).

So far it seems that Uniregistry are the best.
Followed by GoDaddy. Unless Namecheap, Dynadot and Namesilo have something I'm unaware of. I'm sure some of you have used them more than I did.

I was just trying to gain insight.
I like godaddys interface more than dynadot.
Namecheap is nice. But i prefer godaddy.
Uniregistry's interface is nice but I personally think there's a lot going on once you go into domain management mode.
Im asking so that we can share our opinions and gain insight. Because of godaddys reputation with some domainers, the all of the above poll answer wouldn't be very constructive.

•••
I am just inviting everyone to tell us why others are better than GoDaddy.
That's exactly what are folks trying to tell you, however you seem not willing to listen much. Basically everything is better than GD, except 1&1 of course.
So far it seems that Uniregistry are the best.
Why? Who does use Uniregistry at all? Namesilo, Dynadot, Namebright, they all are much better. There are tons of comparison threads and polls here, why don't you start with researching those first? Instead of starting a new battle without even knowing much about the main players on the market.

•••
Before making this thread. I searched for ''afternic''. Nothing.
I searched for ''registrar''. Nothing. Most threads from 2006. Only relevant one was this where I used @stub and @Kate comments for poll answers; no specific details for specific registrars so I asked.
Google, why read from single perspectives on blogs when real professional users can give you live insight like @namemarket @creataweb @Kate did..

Tell me Mr @golan, you are saying Namesilo dynadot namebright are better then Godaddy?
Why is Namesilo better than GD?

•••
Tell me Mr @golan, you are saying Namesilo dynadot namebright are better then Godaddy?

Their interface looks ancient but actually works like a charm, is easy to use for bulk updates, never fails to work (for me at least), pushes are a bliss, free privacy (even before gdpr), great support... All things GoDaddy lacks.

I don't think GoDaddy is that bad, don't get me wrong, but let's face it, we're all using them just because they have a huge market share.

•••
That is fair @NameDeck .
@anantj @carob, who are your registrars? What do you like about them that Godaddy doesnt have?

•••
That is fair @NameDeck .
@anantj @carob, who are your registrars? What do you like about them that Godaddy doesnt have?
Namesilo for most all reasons that @NameDeck mentioned. Epik is pretty decent too with good support but I do not like their interface! Namebright would be good too but they do not provide free privacy and chat support. DD is okay but I've had a bad experience so only use them when necessary.

Dislike GD for a host of reasons! However, I'm not going to try to convince you on this so that's just going to stay as my opinion.

•••
GD user interface is just a nightmare. You are absolutely unable to make any bulk operation with your domains. Their pricing sucks. Their upsell style makes me sick. Should i continue?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back