IT.COM

Is this a common GoDaddy practice?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

pier0

Established Member
Impact
I've been a happy GoDaddy/Afternic customer for 10 years, but the other day I've noticed a five figures domain missing from my GoDaddy account.

Knowing that domains listed for fast transfer on Afternic are exempt from the DTVS process (GoDaddy phone call to confirm a transfer out) and than when sold they are removed immediately from the account, I've checked if a sale had been confirmed, but found no trace of it.

I then emailed my GoDaddy account manager and asked him, who confirmed the domain sold and the sale was pending while Afternic verified the payment.

Now more than 48 hours later there is no trace of a sale having been agreed on Afternic nor I received any information let alone a confirmation.

Do you think is acceptable than domains are removed/cancelled from a Godaddy account, pending a sale verification, with no hint of information in regards to the reason for their removal/cancellation?
Is this a common GoDaddy practice ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We do need to know if you are the person who owns the account so if we cannot see any cookies and you are not logged in we wont know it is you approving the email. If you have a cookie blocker or perhaps you are making us think you are not you because of the ip changes you are doing. It may not be that. Next time you have the issue let me know the domain name and I will see what is happening on the back end to see who approved etc and where the emails were sent.

OK.The push failed even though I was logged in. PM sent.

•••
Really? You guys still keep valuable domains with NoDaddy?
...sooner or later you will find out why it's not a good idea to keep anything of real value with them...

Not me...

•••
Do you get 2 emails while initiating account change?

I received "Your domain registration change is pending."

Your registrant name change is pending.
We're in the process of updating the domain registrant for:

Here's the email address for the new registrant:

Important: If you can't sign in to your account or someone made unauthorized changes, call our support team at +1 (480) 505-8877.

To get your customer number, password hint or to reset your password, click here.​

but there's no link to click.

•••
This situation does not happen often.
One time is too many. Is it a huge issue to implement a simple e-mail informing the domain owner of the situation or even that this is happening? Sorry, but this does not happen often (but does happen) is simply not acceptable without e-mails. Is there any reason to delay an e-mail that

"we've received a payment for the domain. Please standby while we're verifying the payment. In the interim, the domain is locked to prevent concurrent sales"

•••
Do you get 2 emails while initiating account change?

I received "Your domain registration change is pending."

Your registrant name change is pending.
We're in the process of updating the domain registrant for:

Here's the email address for the new registrant:

Important: If you can't sign in to your account or someone made unauthorized changes, call our support team at +1 (480) 505-8877.

To get your customer number, password hint or to reset your password, click here.​

but there's no link to click.
I've had whois changes go through without an approval from me. For example, a domain I sold previously but the buyer never changed the whois info. During a vacation, I received the e-mail to approve the whois change. Since I wasn't checking my e-mails, I couldn't approve. A few hours after the first e-mail, I received a 2nd e-mail from Godaddy that the whois change is completed. WTF? In this case, it did not matter since those domains were legit sales. But this is not supposed to happen under IRTP afaik or I'm seriously misunderstanding something

•••
I really don't know what Godaddy is doing with all the money from expired domains and afternic commission because it's clearly not reinvested to provide a decent, error free platform.
I guess spending millions a Superbowl commercials is more important :facepalm:

•••
One time is too many. Is it a huge issue to implement a simple e-mail informing the domain owner of the situation or even that this is happening? Sorry, but this does not happen often (but does happen) is simply not acceptable without e-mails. Is there any reason to delay an e-mail that

"we've received a payment for the domain. Please standby while we're verifying the payment. In the interim, the domain is locked to prevent concurrent sales"
I dont disagree with you and have ongoing conversations with the development team on this topic and resolving it. It is not as easy a fix techinically as you would think, but it is something we are working towards.

•••
I've had whois changes go through without an approval from me. For example, a domain I sold previously but the buyer never changed the whois info. During a vacation, I received the e-mail to approve the whois change. Since I wasn't checking my e-mails, I couldn't approve. A few hours after the first e-mail, I received a 2nd e-mail from Godaddy that the whois change is completed. WTF? In this case, it did not matter since those domains were legit sales. But this is not supposed to happen under IRTP afaik or I'm seriously misunderstanding something
It depends on how it sold, if it sold on our Aftermarket in most cases we can change the WHOIS ourselves, you give us that right in the terms of service. We do it to make the sale smoother for all parties. It is also something we have been continually asked about over the years and a benefit of us moving to the new system, in the past we were unable to change the WHOIS because of how sales were structured it was not allowed, the new way allows us to do this which prevents you as the seller from getting emails intended for the new owner - renewals, ssl or other verifications, etc that use the WHOIS email, not to mention spam. We had frequent complaints about this before the change when buyers would refuse to respond to us or the seller after purchasing the domain.

•••
It depends on how it sold, if it sold on our Aftermarket in most cases we can change the WHOIS ourselves, you give us that right in the terms of service. We do it to make the sale smoother for all parties. It is also something we have been continually asked about over the years and a benefit of us moving to the new system, in the past we were unable to change the WHOIS because of how sales were structured it was not allowed, the new way allows us to do this which prevents you as the seller from getting emails intended for the new owner - renewals, ssl or other verifications, etc that use the WHOIS email, not to mention spam. We had frequent complaints about this before the change when buyers would refuse to respond to us or the seller after purchasing the domain.

The whois changes in these instances were usually transfers to GD and not sales on the Aftermarket/Auctions or Afternic sales. They did not result in an actual confirmation from me for the whois changes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back