Dynadot

Is Sedo DONE?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
Ok, so let's face it - Sedo has been around for a while, it's platform could do with a complete overhaul, and they've made it much more difficult in listing names.

Is now about time Sedo closed it's doors?
What do YOU think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ready to get educated? :)

I know you tend to skip a lot, but for real, its informative.

First of all, It's not about 'english speaking domains'. That has nothing to do with the geographical location of the owner. Over here we speak/read/write English all day long. Most people in europe (some countries excluded, depending on generation also) are quite fluent in English or a multitude of languages.

We have to be. The core aspect that makes the EU work is international trade. This goes especially for a small country like The Netherlands (on a sidenote, did you ever notice you'll find Dutch names all over the world? We've always been trading. It's in our blood. Did you know we used to own New York? If we wouldn't have gotten our ass handed to us by the British it would still be named New Amsterdam :) ).

Knowing that, a lot of domains that would be concidered valuable to the national market are english keyword domains, hence a lot of domains registered by EU owners are english keyword domains. My best bet is that the same goes for a lot of other countries.

I'm not sure how you pull that data from Namebio. They have no data on buyers locations so how would you measure that? I like the article you quote in your post (we share the love for branding) but it doesn't support your opinion in any way. It's about the most loved brands. That says nothing about quantity. For all I know the 100 most loved brands are mostly US companies whereas millions of others are from China. I didn't see the full report but I wouldn't be surprised if the list of evaluated brands is biased towards the western world given the source.

So basically you come to the conclusion that 70% of sales are US based derives from the fact that (I don't know how) you pulled data from NB that would support 70% of sales are english keywords. That's comparing apples and oranges.

Let's also take into account that a lot of large venues do not report any sales. I know for a fact that there are some very active EU markets with a lot of trade and sales going on that don't report ever. I can't know for sure about areas I'm not familiar with or don't operate in but I can only assume the Asian market is huge. That being said, a lot of trade in the US goes unreported just the same.

Anybody with more insight about those markets feel free to chime in.

So now, let's apply some logic to my reasoning as we obviously lack enough data to know for sure (again, I'm sure the data can be compiled and extrapolated upon but that would require some further research and sharing of more data by some venues).

Only 26% of domains registered are owned by US registrants. Now let's factor in that hundreds of thousands, if not millions, are under privacy which obviously most of the time would show up as a US entity. On 34% of domain registrations the geographical location of the owner is unknown. Maye that includes the domains under privacy, it's a bit unclear to me. But you know, Since we do know that 26% is owned by US registrants, lets also assume that roughly 1/4th of that percentage accounts for US owners. So lets say about 35% of all domains are owned by Americans...

It would not make sense that 35% of all domains would account for 70% of sales on global scale. What we do not know is who the targeted endusers are, EU registrants could just as well be targeting US endusers and the other way around. Let's say that evens out the numbers on both sides. I can only logically assume that the US market only represents roughly 1/3rd of the industry.

I know there are be some flaws in this resoning but you know... without cold hard data... gotta skip some if/then/else thoughts.

Point being: If you focus only on US endusers you're leaving money on the table.
First off, this topic only came up when you made the claim only a "small percentage" of domain sales are US based. And then you ask the question how from Nambio did I confirm that approximately 70% of all domain sales come from the US. Well here is how i did it, and I hope this will be the end of discussion;

Go to Namebio and key the word "consulting" in their search field. Once you've done that you'll see there are 672 sales recorded. Then starting with sales of just over $1,000 you will see the first domain sold was HMGConsulting.com located in Seminole, Florida. Then I continued on until I located only domains that have a current website and I found the following;

BravoConsulting.com - St Jose, Texas
MerakiConsulting - Greece
ggConsulting - Springfield, Va
StraightConsulting - Texas
Expert Consulting - Canada
GridConsulting.com - Seattle
iotConsulting.com - Texas
ReferenceConsulting -Paris

Actually 2 of 3 domains just lead to a landing page where the domain is still for sale.

Finally, last I checked the word "consulting" is used the world over, and although I picked it at random, it works for the purpose determining that a considerable majority and not a "small percentage" of domain sales are US based.

About that Education:xf.rolleyes:

•••
When I was subscribed to Sedo newsletter in the past - sales volume to Germany was 2nd in their stats.
I don't remember exactly US percentage, but it wasn't at ~70% definitely.

Last edited:
•••
According to my own experience...
Inbound US inquiries are usually within 30-40%.

•••
When I was subscribed to Sedo newsletter in the past - sales volume to Germany was 2nd in their stats.
I don't remember exactly US percentage, but it wasn't at ~70% definitely.
You're talking apples and oranges. Sedo is apparently the EU's broker, and that's why there is such a disparity. That's why I've been saying all along that the "end user" here in the US has never ever heard of Sedo.

•••
According to my own experience...
Inbound US inquiries are usually within 30-40%.
Also....when you check Namebio, Sedo is credited for less than 5% of all sales. Sedo might be DONE afterall unless they take my advice:xf.eek:

•••
Endusers don't need to know about Sedo ahead...
They just visit the necessary domains parked there... and then it sells.

•••
I also had many sales to US endusers just using Sedo escrow.

•••
Also....when you check Namebio, Sedo is credited for less than 5% of all sales.
Filter only sales $1K+ and you will see another picture.

•••
•••
•••
Filter only sales $1K+ and you will see another picture.
Again...we're talking apples and oranges...see my example a few posts back where I posted my research was for just $1K+ sales.

•••
Yes, 2word English combos are usually interesting only for US buyers.
So you really compare apples and oranges.

•••
First off, this topic only came up when you made the claim only a "small percentage" of domain sales are US based. And then you ask the question how from Nambio did I confirm that approximately 70% of all domain sales come from the US. Well here is how i did it, and I hope this will be the end of discussion;

Go to Namebio and key the word "consulting" in their search field. Once you've done that you'll see there are 672 sales recorded. Then starting with sales of just over $1,000 you will see the first domain sold was HMGConsulting.com located in Seminole, Florida. Then I continued on until I located only domains that have a current website and I found the following;

BravoConsulting.com - St Jose, Texas
MerakiConsulting - Greece
ggConsulting - Springfield, Va
StraightConsulting - Texas
Expert Consulting - Canada
GridConsulting.com - Seattle
iotConsulting.com - Texas
ReferenceConsulting -Paris

Actually 2 of 3 domains just lead to a landing page where the domain is still for sale.

Finally, last I checked the word "consulting" is used the world over, and although I picked it at random, it works for the purpose determining that a considerable majority and not a "small percentage" of domain sales are US based.

About that Education:xf.rolleyes:

Thanks for clarifying what you did to come up with those numbers. Although it's a nice attempt it doesn't hold. First of all, as already pointed out, you're not using a representative sample. I'll look past the used keyword but the real issue is with the reporting venues.

Like I said, we lack data to draw conclusions based on those numbers as the dataset is biased. We cannot rely on the numbers from NameBio when we want to study the global market. What if we throw all sales from China in the mix?

I like referencing people who know what they're talking about. Give this a read:
https://domainnamewire.com/2019/11/05/chinese-domain-market-the-big-picture/

Since we cannot rely on the data we have at hand, we have to pivot to another dataset. That's where the number of registrations per GEO location comes in. Does that theory have it's own flaws? Sure. But it's a better approach on reality than a unrepresentative sample from a biased dataset.

I must admit I don't know for a fact nor do I have any data at hand to support my claim. @Bob Hawkes ? You're the data guy :)

As you're referring to my earlier post in this thread I thought I'd quote myself. You probably missed where I stated the above. Going by my theory I stand corrected on the "small %" part as a 3rd of the market cannot be concidered to be small. That being said, logically speaking that percentage would only drop when non us/western venues would start reporting.

On the mentioned article I believe this is spot on: economy -> companies -> websites -> domains

Since the US accounts for like 15% of the GDP, and showing a decrease, It wouldn't surpise me at all if that 3rd would actually be a 5th and drop even lower in the future.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for clarifying what you did to come up with those numbers. Although it's a nice attempt it doesn't hold. First of all, as already pointed out, you're not using a representative sample. I'll look past the used keyword but the real issue is with the reporting venues.

Like I said, we lack data to draw conclusions based on those numbers as the dataset is biased. We cannot rely on the numbers from NameBio when we want to study the global market. What if we throw all sales from China in the mix?

I like referencing people who know what they're talking about. Give this a read:
https://domainnamewire.com/2019/11/05/chinese-domain-market-the-big-picture/

Since we cannot rely on the data we have at hand, we have to pivot to another dataset. That's where the number of registrations per GEO location comes in. Does that theory have it's own flaws? Sure. But it's a better approach on reality than a unrepresentative sample from a biased dataset.

As you're referring to my earlier post in this thread I thought I'd quote myself. You probably missed where I stated the above. Going by my theory I stand corrected on the "small %" part as a 3rd of the market cannot be concidered to be small. That being said, logically speaking that percentage would only drop when non us/western venues would start reporting.

On the mentioned article I believe this is spot on: economy -> companies -> websites -> domains

Since the US accounts for like 15% of the GDP, and showing a decrease, It wouldn't surpise me at all if that 3rd would actually be a 5th and drop even lower in the future.

“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”
― Benjamin Disraeli

•••
Hi

what ever the debate is now,
if you still use sedo or have benefited from their platform

how pertinent is the argument, if one isn't a user?

or has it become a disinformation agenda.

imo...

•••
Hi

what ever the debate is now,
if you still use sedo or have benefited from their platform

how pertinent is the argument, if one isn't a user?

or has it become a disinformation agenda.

imo...

My apologies Mr big :) got carried away here!

I won't derail any further. In conclusion , Sedo is still very much alive and sufficient for a lot of domainers and endusers.

imo... ;)

•••
I like @Sedo , very trustworthy. 👍

The only thing I wish @Sedo should implement soon is payment in Crypto.

It's faster and inexpensive.

•••
Switched to a combination of 3 of the new Sedo sales landers from parking pages just 3 days ago. Traffic has almost quadrupled the last 2 days.
Why would that be? I guess a lot of traffic was blocked from reaching parking pages?

•••
Hi Wot

I asked similar question earlier in thread

Switched to a combination of 3 of the new Sedo sales landers from parking pages just 3 days ago. Traffic has almost quadrupled the last 2 days.
Why would that be? I guess a lot of traffic was blocked from reaching parking pages?

here is reply, in case you missed it below

Hi Moe,

With regards to high views associated with the new sales lander, the new sales lander that we implemented is essentially a parking template that we offer. If you are using our new Sales Lander then you may experience an increase in views, this is because the traffic via the new sales lander is not filtered as strictly as parking views. Therefore, the number of views can be significantly higher than views received by our traditional parking templates that are filtered. Please be assured that our parking team are working on a solution for this.

imo...

•••
Ok i the traffic issue is mainly bots to the sales lander which i presume is whats getting the traffic increase, so why are the uniques not matching the offer views? if a bot is showing up on the lander why isnt it showing the same stats on the uniques? its very confusing , can anyone explain?

simply put- why is the lander offer view stats different then the unique stats?

•••
Hi Artstar,

Thanks for your message.

Technically an 'Offer View' on our marketplace is the amount of times potential buyers have clicked on the domain for sale in the search results of our marketplace and continued to look at the offer page directly. This action is counted as one view.

A unique visitor (also known as a query or a view) occurs when a parked domain name is typed into a browser by a user or the user comes to the site via a link in search engine results. Each time a new user navigates to your page in these ways a unique visitor will be recorded.

The sales lander is technically a parking page template that we offer so our system recognises it as a unique rather than an offer view if the page is visited directly in the browser as offer views are counted from the search results clicks as explained above.

Our Tech Team are working on improving the parking pages, including the offer views and other points customers have raised. Hopefully this will be updated when they release the next version of the sales lander.

All the best
Chris

•••
hey sedo thx for that but it sounds and is still hard to grasp the concept

my thing is why do the numbers not match up?

if a sales lander unique is designated as an offer view then how do we know if its a bot or a person?

plus if a type in unique is done by a person how do we know if its a person and not a bot? and is that designated as a lander offer view or a unique type in?

man alive after all this time cant sedo get it so its not so convoluted and gard to understand?

why do you ofer a lander page that is like it is?

so for REAL stats should i just use a park template?

its great t see the bigger stats on each domains but what do they really mean? it skews the system making a person confused and not knowing what the numbers really mean.

why did sedo develop a lander page thats shows uniques as offers views whats the point? is it to make a domainer more comforted with higher perceived stats when they mean nothing in reality? very strange stuff going on with this stat info and im chocked that its simply manipulation and not reality .

•••
btw say i have on 1 domain 43 uniques and 27 offer views in a week how do i know who if its type in traffic by a person, bots or a combo and if its due to being a sales lander or parked lander?

see how confusing this all is? im sure im not the only one baffled by sedos methods. why is it like this? its not brain surgery and after all this time it should be figured out to the nth degree by sedo and their people

it tells me sedo is covering up where traffic is really coming from to make them look better than they r? i hate to say it but its what it looks like to me

Tell me im wrong!??

•••
@Sedo
Please remove the absolutely unnecessary MX record from your DNS template for parked domains.

•••
No hard numbers here...but I would suspect many end users especially outside Europe havent heard of sedo even if they have bought a sedo domain because of mls all they know is they bought the domain though whichever registrar.

That said I like how they handle ownership verification simple and without the flaws of afterbic but the actual interface and listing process is cumbersome at best especially with alot of domains. I see they have an option to send them a csv file to import (though not sure why they can't just allow self serve uploads like afternic). I tried that because the interface is so bad. A week later, they are still not listed and I have gotten no response to my email. Somehow they have managed to have worse customer service than Godaddy (I didn't know that was possible).

But in the end I am in business to sell domains so like them or hate them I will still use them, if they ever process the listings I've sent

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back