IT.COM

Is Sedo DONE?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
Ok, so let's face it - Sedo has been around for a while, it's platform could do with a complete overhaul, and they've made it much more difficult in listing names.

Is now about time Sedo closed it's doors?
What do YOU think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
No. Lots of endusers feel confortable with them and in the end that's all that matters to me.

•••
More options in marketplaces better for domainers, so I hope all stay active and improve.

•••
I use their marketplace only for BIN domains...
And their escrow for almost all my negotiated sales.

•••
Hi DefinitelyDomains

Thank you for your engaging post.

The answer to your question is no, Sedo is most certainly not done. In fact since new management took control over Sedo, not only has our domain sales increased but the percentage of successful transfers has increased and with it customer satisfaction has also improved. This can be reflected in our trust pilot scoring, which has increased to ‘Excellent’.

We have a domain ownership verification process to increase the integrity of our marketplace and as a process to fight against ‘seller not owner’ sales. If you are finding this process difficult then please explain in more detail where exactly you are having difficulty and I will do my best to assist you.

As you mentioned, Sedo has been around for a while and we intend to be around for a lot longer, we want to remain the number 1 marketplace for you to buy and sell your domains. You mention our platform could do with an overhaul, I can assure you that our Tech Team are innovating and working on improving our marketplace as I write this email. With the intention of creating a better user experience when managing your domains.

We are constantly listening to feedback from our customers, some of the best feedback of which has come from this very forum. Our customers have asked and we have delivered:

· Price cap was lifted for sellers listing domains for more than 50000.

· We implemented 13 new sales landers to increase the chances of selling for those of you who looking to prioritise the sale of domains over earning money with our parking program.

· We dropped the minimum commission fee of 60 USD/ Euro, meaning on lower sales a seller can earn twice as much profit.

· We lowered the minimum offer to 20 Euro from 90 Euro for our sellers who wanted to sell lower valued domains quickly attracting more buyers.

· We have provided engaging auctions for our customers including the latest IGaming and Gambling auctions which are free to apply for.

· We updated our Search Algorithm, to display more direct matches to the keyword.

· We reduced the Payout time for transfers sales if buyer doesn’t confirm ownership.

· We have improved our MLS service to increase the chances of a domain selling.

· Sedos marketplace and our Sales brokers are STILL achieving some of the highest sales in the industry.

These are just some of the improvements we made in the last few months which were suggestions from domainers like yourself. Plus we have made many other changes, we have been taking all our customers feedback to our business development team and are trying to implement customers wishes to improve the overall experience at Sedo.

Just watch out, we still aim to improve and be the best we can for you and 2020 is a new year coming soon!

We wish you every success in your domain affairs!

All the best Chris

•••

· We updated our Search Algorithm, to display more direct matches to the keyword.

· We reduced the Payout time for transfers sales if buyer doesn’t confirm ownership.
Thank you for the updates! :)

•••
Sedo is currently doing a survey about the domain management interface which you see when you log into Sedo and go to manage domains. It also has a box for suggestions, for example, asking for them to offer payment plans / paying in installments.

•••
•••
No. Lots of endusers feel confortable with them and in the end that's all that matters to me.
In all due respect 90% of "end users" have never heard of Sedo unless they're like me and own a SeaDo jet ski:xf.wink: Same goes for Uniregistry, Flippa and Afternic and Undeveloped.

Last edited:
•••
Hi DefinitelyDomains

Thank you for your engaging post.

The answer to your question is no, Sedo is most certainly not done. In fact since new management took control over Sedo, not only has our domain sales increased but the percentage of successful transfers has increased and with it customer satisfaction has also improved. This can be reflected in our trust pilot scoring, which has increased to ‘Excellent’.

We have a domain ownership verification process to increase the integrity of our marketplace and as a process to fight against ‘seller not owner’ sales. If you are finding this process difficult then please explain in more detail where exactly you are having difficulty and I will do my best to assist you.

As you mentioned, Sedo has been around for a while and we intend to be around for a lot longer, we want to remain the number 1 marketplace for you to buy and sell your domains. You mention our platform could do with an overhaul, I can assure you that our Tech Team are innovating and working on improving our marketplace as I write this email. With the intention of creating a better user experience when managing your domains.

We are constantly listening to feedback from our customers, some of the best feedback of which has come from this very forum. Our customers have asked and we have delivered:

· We implemented 13 new sales landers to increase the chances of selling for those of you who looking to prioritise the sale of domains over earning money with our parking program.

· We dropped the minimum commission fee of 60 USD/ Euro, meaning on lower sales a seller can earn twice as much profit.

· We lowered the minimum offer to 20 Euro from 90 Euro for our sellers who wanted to sell lower valued domains quickly attracting more buyers.

· We have provided engaging auctions for our customers including the latest IGaming and Gambling auctions which are free to apply for.

· We have improved our MLS service to increase the chances of a domain selling.

· Sedos marketplace and our Sales brokers are STILL achieving some of the highest sales in the industry.

These are just some of the improvements we made in the last few months which were suggestions from domainers like yourself. Plus we have made many other changes, we have been taking all our customers feedback to our business development team and are trying to implement customers wishes to improve the overall experience at Sedo.

Just watch out, we still aim to improve and be the best we can for you and 2020 is a new year coming soon!

We wish you every success in your domain affairs!

All the best Chris
Chris...in all due respect, I just responded to another member who said "endusers" know and respect the name Sedo? That's total BS in my honest opinion. I contend that unless Sedo adopts some sort of aggressive and progressive "outbound" marketing program they'll be history in the next 3-5 years.

•••
- the new "Landing Pages" are ugly
- there is no option to "rent / rent to own" a domain
- the commissions are too high.
- there is no commission-cap on higher-priced domains. You have to be crazy to sell high-value domains on SEDO.

•••
Based on what?

They dominate the sales charts every week, so quite opposite really.

•••
Sedo needs to address some issues:

The unrealistic large amount of traffic metrics, the new sale landers even made it worst with more bot traffic and bogus offer views witch IMO is/was the most significant feature of their marketplace.
What is it with nonsense %15 commission on make offer listing and %10 buy it now, price negotiation is key factor to complete most domain sales.

Also very important why seller is paying %20 of their commission on top of their commission? the total fees is %18 for make offer listing and %12 for BIN based on $1000 sale (go figure).

That's total BS in my honest opinion
Agree, domain itself attracts buyer nothing more.

Sedo is far from done, it's well-done.

•••
•••
- there is no commission-cap on higher-priced domains. You have to be crazy to sell high-value domains on SEDO.
Then just use their escrow (3%).
It is NOT mandatory to negotiate directly on Sedo.

And what other competitors offer on their marketplaces?
From 9% to 20% regardless of price.

•••
Could it be because they are the only entity submitting their sales to these charts?
Yes.
Afternic doesn't report anything a few years already.

•••
Also very important why seller is paying %20 of their commission on top of their commission? the total fees is %18 for make offer listing and %12 for BIN based on $1000 sale (go figure).
???
How you calculated these values?

•••
Based on what?

They dominate the sales charts every week, so quite opposite really.
Sounds to me like you have some sort of special interest in Sedo. I base my comments on asking 100 "endusers" if they've ever heard of Sedo? Guess what? Just like the 98% of domains that are being hoarded, 98% of "endusers" have NEVER heard of Sedo. Then again, I'm only asking educated business owners and managers from around the world.

•••
In all due respect 90% of "end users" have never heard of Sedo unless they're like me and own a SeaDo jet ski:xf.wink: Same goes for Uniregistry, Flippa and Afternic and Undeveloped.
Hi

unless you know the 90% of potential end-users personally, then how can you validate that?

if you only look at sedo sales since inception and viewed every single name they sold, to see if it was end-used, then you'd have a clearer picture of what end-users know about sedo.
you also have to consider all the domain names that are parked there, which means millions of visitors from all over the world will either see a sedo lander or a sedo ppc page.

in the end though, it's not about who bought and what they did with it, it's how many sales and how much per sale, that matters to sellers.

been a sedo user since 2004 and have $$$,$$$.00 in total domain sales there.

still, i'd like to see better parking pages, with keyword related images something similar to templates at voodoo.

imo...

•••

Not true. Even people who aren't even remotely interested have probably come across a domain parked at Sedo at some point in time.

Especially older people. They recognize the brand therefore they may feel more comfortable spending some money on the platform.

It's like the way you want to use GoDaddy in your domain pictches. People would recognize that brand and feel comfortable with it.

For the highest quality of domains obviously it doesn't matter where they're listed as buyers do the research and will be fine with whatever venue.

For average sales the venue where it's listed can definitely make the difference.

I agree Sedo has it's downsides and I agree there is a lot of room for improvement but the sales are there. I'm not a fan but it works.

In my own experience geographical location plays a parts are well. Most of my EU clients prefer Sedo or Dan over the rest.

I wanted to try to finalize a lead on Epik the other week. Obviously they're ahead of most other venues but my buyer was like, who the f*ck are they? And I get that.

Sometimes the best solution just isn't the preferred solution.

•••
It is not about awareness, it is about credibility.
For ~11.5 years of my experience - the only one Spanish enduser rejected Sedo... some GoDaddy fanatic.

•••
Not true. Even people who aren't even remotely interested have probably come across a domain parked at Sedo at some point in time.

Especially older people. They recognize the brand therefore they may feel more comfortable spending some money on the platform.

It's like the way you want to use GoDaddy in your domain pictches. People would recognize that brand and feel comfortable with it.

For the highest quality of domains obviously it doesn't matter where they're listed as buyers do the research and will be fine with whatever venue.

For average sales the venue where it's listed can definitely make the difference.

I agree Sedo has it's downsides and I agree there is a lot of room for improvement but the sales are there. I'm not a fan but it works.

In my own experience geographical location plays a parts are well. Most of my EU clients prefer Sedo or Dan over the rest.

I wanted to try to finalize a lead on Epik the other week. Obviously they're ahead of most other venues but my buyer was like, who the f*ck are they? And I get that.

Sometimes the best solution just isn't the preferred solution.
What world do you live in? I qualify as "older people" at 72 years old young, and I'd NEVER heard of Sedo until such time I joined NP 24 months ago. Sedo might have a following in Europe, but few if any "end users" here in the states have ever heard of them....a FACT! "Dan", formerly Undeveloped is yet another example...do you think any "end user" here in the states has ever heard of a company called "Undeveloped"? Would you trust a company that calls themselves "Undeveloped"?

I rest my case:xf.rolleyes:

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back