Watch

ugnali

UGNALIEstablished Member
Impact
lets say ive got domains like
1)provider.net and provider.com
and
2) dealer.net and dealer.com,

What would the price difference be between .COM and .NET?
to an enduser and to a reseller?
:?

What could be a real hot name for .NET that would be better then .COM?
Names connected with the internet like internet.net or hosting.net?
I would like to get an idea?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lots of different.
for me a .com might go to $xxxx but .net $xx :)
But it depends

•••
:hi: I try to apply the rule the .net is worth 20% of the .com. There are always exceptions to that rule. Most of the time I don't even bother with the .net unless it is a very hot name or I already have the .com.

Having the .net along with the .com enhances the value of your .com.

Cheers,

Showcase

•••
.net personal, .com commercial. Most people who buy domains are for commercial use, thus the difference in pricings. :)

•••
showcase said:
:hi: I try to apply the rule the .net is worth 20% of the .com. There are always exceptions to that rule. Most of the time I don't even bother with the .net unless it is a very hot name or I already have the .com.

Having the .net along with the .com enhances the value of your .com.

Cheers,

Showcase
only 20%? I thought it would e more than that

•••
I personally think that the difference would be more than a 90% discount. If design.com is on sale for $1,000,000, I would think that design.net would cost around $100,000 to be reasonable.

•••
Personally I dont think that there is that bigger difference, I think tat .net sounds better tha .com and .net is becoming more popular, a 20% difference at the most.

GOD BLESS

•••
.com the only way to go if you run a shop or sell a service (ev1.net ;D), .net works kinda good for tech comapanies and ofcourse networks.

•••
.NET's are generally worth about 20% of .COM, imho.

•••
Everybody has their own valuation system I guess. I personally don't like .net at all unless its a generic term or related to tech. But yes I would say they are worth a lot less then .com

•••
Worse still, non-generic .net names that might be brandable if they were a .com are almost worthless to anyone except the owner of the .com because of the likelihood of people confusing them with the .com site. If you had provider.net and dealer.net they'd still be worth at least 5 figures to the right end user though, which is a lot more than you'd get for the same words in most ccTLDs.

•••
Depending on the domain, 20% for the .net might even be too generous. Many would argue it goes to around 10%-20%.

.net's used to be more likely used by networking/hosting/bandwidth/Intenet service providers, but as more and more TLDs came about, .net is getting a bit devalued, not more than .org's in many cases, and in some cases even far less.

But then again it all depends on many factors as well, such as how badly the seller wants to sell, or how badly the buyer wants the domain. There are also some dot-nets that were developed enough that they commanded far higher prices. But as a general rule, 20% of a .com, give or take wouldn't be unfair.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back