IT.COM

discuss Is it worth my time to go after domains appraised over $1,500 on GoDaddy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Outsomniac

Established Member
Impact
I know that some of you don't believe in the appraisal tools, and I know that some of you do.

I'm in the middle- not completely sure how to feel about them.

Am I wasting my time honing in on names that are appraised at or above $1,500 through the GoDaddy appraisal tool?

It doesn't really feel right to me to leave any names on the table if the appraisal is high.

What do you all think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, you are wasting your time with appraisal tools. Stay away from automated appraisal tools, the only ones who benefit are the registrars.

•••
Yes, you are wasting your time with appraisal tools. Stay away from automated appraisal tools, the only ones who benefit are the registrars.

Yeah, that does seem to be a pretty popular stance. I guess I should change how I operate and figure out better ways to supply good names to buyers that are actively looking.

•••
workfist.com
icn-godaddy-valuation.png
Estimated Value: $1,535

Do you really think this is worth registering ? Because it's available. Appraisal tools have an algorithm and if you figure it out, you can register hundreds of worthless $1500+ domains.

Last edited:
•••
You can basically find endless unregistered domains that are appraised in that range.
I am sure about 99%+ of them are likely worthless. Good luck finding the ones worthwhile.

Appraisals might be a good way to sort through long lists, but the actual number is basically meaningless.

Brad

•••
Yeah, that does seem to be a pretty popular stance. I guess I should change how I operate and figure out better ways to supply good names to buyers that are actively looking.

Check out namebio.com everyday and also sign up with the DNJournal sales newsletter so you get an idea of what makes a name valuable. Read this forum for months before going pout and buying names, that will save you money in the long run. Focus on a niche you are familiar with buy a couple of names and then try and sell them, dont fall for the hand reg frenzy and end up with 50 names you cant sell. Once you get a sale, reinvest that money into more names.

Emailing existing owners of good names to try and find bargains, or watch expiring lists, dont go and hand-register available names, they are available for a reason.

Good luck

•••
workfist.com
icn-godaddy-valuation.png
Estimated Value: $1,535

Do you really think this is worth registering ? Because it's available. Appraisal tools have an algorithm and if you figure it out, you can register hundreds of worthless $1500+ domains.

Very true- that's basically where I'm at now. I have a big list of names available to register that are appraised at over $1,500 through GD- but are they worthwhile? Maybe, but really probably not at all. It's interesting.

•••
You can basically find endless unregistered domains that are appraised in that range.
I am sure about 99%+ of them are likely worthless. Good luck finding the ones worthwhile.

Appraisals might be a good way to sort through long lists, but the actual number is basically meaningless.

Brad

Yeah I'm definitely constantly finding names in the high $1xxx with the GD appraisal tool- but just like you said- maybe 1% are worth the reg, and the real job is to figure out if it is worth the reg.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Last edited:
•••
Check out namebio.com everyday and also sign up with the DNJournal sales newsletter so you get an idea of what makes a name valuable. Read this forum for months before going pout and buying names, that will save you money in the long run. Focus on a niche you are familiar with buy a couple of names and then try and sell them, dont fall for the hand reg frenzy and end up with 50 names you cant sell. Once you get a sale, reinvest that money into more names.

Emailing existing owners of good names to try and find bargains, or watch expiring lists, dont go and hand-register available names, they are available for a reason.

Good luck

For sure- thanks! I do enjoy looking through NameBio, some of the names I think "Really someone would pay that much for that?" But most I think, "Yeah, that makes sens."

Thankfully I've disciplined myself enough to not just throw my money and any and all names that I come by that I personally think sound cool or will definitely sell. So far I've been focusing on registering 1 or 2, then not registering anymore until I can sell those for at least a little bit of profit. And you're absolutely right- these names are available for a reason. If someone truly wanted it, it would have been taken a long time ago. I will definitely spend more of my time focusing on checking up on names that are expiring or going for a bargain.

Thanks again for the feedback!

•••
Very true- that's basically where I'm at now. I have a big list of names available to register that are appraised at over $1,500 through GD- but are they worthwhile? Maybe, but really probably not at all. It's interesting.
It's all part of the learning process. Pretty much all of us have gone through the appraisal tool phase where we think its an important part of buying good domains. I used to have an estibot account in the past and I would use it to appraise big lists of domains and then sort by value, searches, etc to find domains. It was almost worthless, rarely finding real good domains.

There are a few new fancy appraisal services that look impressive, but are really no better than the others.

Last edited:
•••
It's all part of the learning process. Pretty much all of us have gone through the appraisal tool phase where we think its an important part of buying good domains. I used to have an estibot account in the past and I would use it to appraise big lists of domains and then sort by value, searches, etc to find domains. It was almost worthless, rarely finding real good domains.

There are a few new fancy appraisal services that look impressive, but are really no better than the others.

Yeah I'm pretty new, but I'm picking up on a lot of solid information and actually seeing some small results so far, which feels great. Estibot is neat but yeah just like you said, it's really no better than the others at the end of the day. I'm hopeful though that I can build my portfolio- albeit slowly, but definitely surely.

•••
Domain assets (except for a small percentage of very liquid ones) are very difficult for people or robots to appraise with much precision.

I think the best way to view both appraisals (of the human kind) here or elsewhere, and automated machine ones such as Estibot, GoValue and NameWorth, is as a second opinion. By that, I mean first decide how worthwhile a domain name is based on criteria such as the value it would have to an end user, the potential pool of end users, past similar sales, the aesthetics of the name, etc. Do that before you ask for or get an appraisal - i.e. first make up your own mind after analytical work.

Then, after you have in your mind decided the relative worth of say 5 names you are considering, and perhaps a range of values for each, why not consult the automated tools to see if they confirm your opinion? They will along the way add information you might not have had (GoValue almost always does a good job with comparators and have sales not in NameBio, for example; while you can get the search/advertiser information in Estibot elsewhere, it is presented in a nice format, especially with the temporal graphs). If your opinion, and the opinion of others on NPs in appraisal thread or the automated worth estimates are very different, try to decide why. A second opinion is usually worth knowing, even if you don't think it is very accurate.

GoValue tends to appraise a huge number of coms in the $900 to $1900 range, so it may not be very discriminating.

Finally, even from the tiny sample of end users I have interacted with, at least in North America those who are seriously considering spending mid $$$ or more on a domain have probably stumbled on GoValue because GoDaddy is so big. So your potential buyers will know GV even if you disagree with it. I think that is why some well known names are angry with GoValue. I have sometimes picked up names even if I think the GV is way too low, but it is a negative to me, as it means potential buyers may well consult GD and think the domain should go cheap in those cases.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Domain assets (except for a small percentage of very liquid ones) are very difficult for people or robots to appraise with much precision.

I think the best way to view both appraisals (of the human kind) here or elsewhere, and automated machine ones such as Estibot, GoValue and NameWorth, is as a second opinion. By that, I mean first decide how worthwhile a domain name is based on criteria such as the value it would have to an end user, the potential pool of end users, past similar sales, the aesthetics of the name, etc. Do that before you ask for or get an appraisal - i.e. first make up your own mind after analytical work.

Then, after you have in your mind decided the relative worth of say 5 names you are considering, and perhaps a range of values for each, why not consult the automated tools to see if they confirm your opinion? They will along the way add information you might not have had (GoValue almost always does a good job with comparators and have sales not in NameBio, for example; while you can get the search/advertiser information in Estibot elsewhere, it is presented in a nice format, especially with the temporal graphs). If your opinion, and the opinion of others on NPs in appraisal thread or the automated worth estimates are very different, try to decide why. A second opinion is usually worth knowing, even if you don't think it is very accurate.

GoValue tends to appraise a huge number of coms in the $900 to $1900 range, so it may not be very discriminating.

Finally, even from the tiny sample of end users I have interacted with, at least in North America those who are seriously considering spending mid $$$ or more on a domain have probably stumbled on GoValue because GoDaddy is so big. So your potential buyers will know GV even if you disagree with it. I think that is why some well known names are angry with GoValue. I have sometimes picked up names even if I think the GV is way too low, but it is a negative to me, as it means potential buyers may well consult GD and think the domain should go cheap in those cases.

Bob

Absolutely- focusing in on those factors and setting aside the robot appraisals will help me out a lot.

Second opinions are great- though I've realized that it's quite the task getting a second opinion from a human, which I think leads a lot of people to relying more on the opinion of a robot. But, that does weed out those who aren't taking the time to more closely research the names that they register. They end up with bad names that won't get them anywhere.

I do enjoy seeing what numbers the appraisal bots spit out- but at the end of the day my reliance should definitely lie within multiple other factors, like the ones you mentioned earlier (end user, past sales, etc.).

Yeah, I'd like to figure out how to more easily contact potential buyers (outside of just throwing names up on Sedo) without discouraging myself. Though I do understand that this all comes with time and experience (but sometimes/rarely pure luck).

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
i think that appraisal tools are stupid because they rely on reported sail amounts

everyday hd wins and bids up auctions to xxx. These are counted in namebio and undistinguished from actual end user auctions / sails

so these low xxx report data make good names look cheap, and that's why appraisal tools are so whack. they underestimate the value of good domains and overestimate the valjue of bad domains!

•••

Why would the registrar benefit? It is a free tool... I would understand benefits if it was a paid tool.

•••
GoDaddy values a domain at $223 for a deal I recently brokered at nearly 100K. Just saying...

•••
GoDaddy values a domain at $223 for a deal I recently brokered at nearly 100K. Just saying...

That's awesome- good stuff!

•••
Nah, you have to develop your own eye for whats good.

You are the best appraisal...not Godaddy. Your brain is. You got this.

•••
Nah, you have to develop your own eye for whats good.

You are the best appraisal...not Godaddy. Your brain is. You got this.

Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement. :xf.smile:

•••

....wat? exactly what name would be $223 valuation tha sail for $100,000? This doesn't happen! WOW

•••
I think that's what some big name domainer..maybe mike mann was complaining about i think. That he's losing sales because Godaddy shows some kind of estimated price or related sales next to names. Sometimes way way lower than what he sells for or what the name is valued. And as you know... powerful trends can skyrocket a average names value like bitcoin, and libra and vr etc.. and a tool won't know how to calculate that correctly.

•••
....wat? exactly what name would be $223 valuation tha sail for $100,000? This doesn't happen! WOW

ccTLD. They know nothing. Unfortunately just acted as an intermediate :(

•••
Why would the registrar benefit? It is a free tool... I would understand benefits if it was a paid tool.

They benefit hugely because new domainers see the Godaddy appraisals and then go and register the domain, and where do you think they will register the name? You only have to look at the thousands of worthless names being regged after seeing an automated appraisal, especially Estibot. Registrars must love the these automated tools.

•••
As well this tool appraises worthless names in auctions newbies bid up for house auctions that then end up overpaying for only to find out there are no other interested users other than the friendly bidding bot run by huge names who is happy to run you up, and turn an $11 name into a $200 name, all profit for the house.

People are actually falling for this, and in about 3 years these names will be dropping again. It’s really sad to see how many people have no idea what they are doing.

•••

Share that data with GD and the valuation jumps to 100k, it's irresponsible. All these appraisal tools should legally be enforced to have a giant disclaimer regarding accuracy.

•••
Back