Domain Empire

discuss Is it worth my time to go after domains appraised over $1,500 on GoDaddy?

NameSilo
Watch

Outsomniac

Established Member
Impact
I know that some of you don't believe in the appraisal tools, and I know that some of you do.

I'm in the middle- not completely sure how to feel about them.

Am I wasting my time honing in on names that are appraised at or above $1,500 through the GoDaddy appraisal tool?

It doesn't really feel right to me to leave any names on the table if the appraisal is high.

What do you all think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the main problem with the appraisal tools is not that you register worthless domains
but that you underestimate a valuable domain and sell it by far to cheap

the next main problem is that you don't train your brain
and / or neglect what your intellect tells you
and instead trust those tools

that will never work

•••
I'll put my two cents in this thread:
Estibot is basically about keywords presence in Google
GoValue is about past sales and keywords popularity.
Nameworth is about dreams

•••
I know that some of you don't believe in the appraisal tools, and I know that some of you do.

I'm in the middle- not completely sure how to feel about them.

Am I wasting my time honing in on names that are appraised at or above $1,500 through the GoDaddy appraisal tool?

It doesn't really feel right to me to leave any names on the table if the appraisal is high.

What do you all think?
Like with most everything in life, the answer to your question is, "it depends" I'm a business guy, and have been for 50 years. I've had a couple of business failures, but I can assure you it wasn't because of their name anymore than my successes were because of their name. As an example, I just hand reg'd the domain Kwik9.com. GD values it at $1,201, and they value the keyword "kwik" at $3,691. Just go to Namebio and key "kwik" and you'll see why it's valued at $3,691.

Granted, I probably know some things about golf, the golf industry, business and marketing that you don't know, but common sense tells me this is a good domain that addresses a huge gap that exists in golf today, and I would use it in a heart beat for my business. Now if you don't know the game of golf or understand business and marketing, I wouldn't buy it if I were you.

Finally, I must say I'm a little like you because I'm all about risk vs. reward and the upside potential for Kwik9 is far greater than the downside risk....believe it or not, I learned that in school fifty years ago.

Cheers and Good Luck!

•••
Like with most everything in life, the answer to your question is, "it depends" I'm a business guy, and have been for 50 years. I've had a couple of business failures, but I can assure you it wasn't because of their name anymore than my successes were because of their name. As an example, I just hand reg'd the domain Kwik9.com. GD values it at $1,201, and they value the keyword "kwik" at $3,691. Just go to Namebio and key "kwik" and you'll see why it's valued at $3,691.

Granted, I probably know some things about golf, the golf industry, business and marketing that you don't know, but common sense tells me this is a good domain that addresses a huge gap that exists in golf today, and I would use it in a heart beat for my business. Now if you don't know the game of golf or understand business and marketing, I wouldn't buy it if I were you.

Finally, I must say I'm a little like you because I'm all about risk vs. reward and the upside potential for Kwik9 is far greater than the downside risk....believe it or not, I learned that in school fifty years ago.

Cheers and Good Luck!

Good stuff! Yeah- the fact that you have prior knowledge relating directly to the domain name is a huge plus and enables you to justify the registration of the name moreso than someone that is basing whether or not they reg it solely on what the appraisal tool spits out.

•••
the main problem with the appraisal tools is not that you register worthless domains
but that you underestimate a valuable domain and sell it by far to cheap

the next main problem is that you don't train your brain
and / or neglect what your intellect tells you
and instead trust those tools

that will never work

Great input! It's all too easy to see a name and think "Wow this is super catchy! I like it." which holds no weight because the next domainer in line may look at the name and think it's garbage.

•••
I came across a domain on Godday valuation site for sale for $200 which they give a valuation of $5,500 ! If it were genuinely worth that, why would they be selling it for $200 !? What's more, freevaluator value the exact same domain at less than $50 !! I think these valuation sites are best ignored !

•••
Domain assets (except for a small percentage of very liquid ones) are very difficult for people or robots to appraise with much precision.

I think the best way to view both appraisals (of the human kind) here or elsewhere, and automated machine ones such as Estibot, GoValue and NameWorth, is as a second opinion. By that, I mean first decide how worthwhile a domain name is based on criteria such as the value it would have to an end user, the potential pool of end users, past similar sales, the aesthetics of the name, etc. Do that before you ask for or get an appraisal - i.e. first make up your own mind after analytical work.

Then, after you have in your mind decided the relative worth of say 5 names you are considering, and perhaps a range of values for each, why not consult the automated tools to see if they confirm your opinion? They will along the way add information you might not have had (GoValue almost always does a good job with comparators and have sales not in NameBio, for example; while you can get the search/advertiser information in Estibot elsewhere, it is presented in a nice format, especially with the temporal graphs). If your opinion, and the opinion of others on NPs in appraisal thread or the automated worth estimates are very different, try to decide why. A second opinion is usually worth knowing, even if you don't think it is very accurate.

GoValue tends to appraise a huge number of coms in the $900 to $1900 range, so it may not be very discriminating.

Finally, even from the tiny sample of end users I have interacted with, at least in North America those who are seriously considering spending mid $$$ or more on a domain have probably stumbled on GoValue because GoDaddy is so big. So your potential buyers will know GV even if you disagree with it. I think that is why some well known names are angry with GoValue. I have sometimes picked up names even if I think the GV is way too low, but it is a negative to me, as it means potential buyers may well consult GD and think the domain should go cheap in those cases.

Bob
Estibot? Seriously? They are the absolute worst!

•••
Why would the registrar benefit? It is a free tool... I would understand benefits if it was a paid tool.
Possibly, a registrar like GoDaddy might boost your appraisal value close to the expiration / renewal date. Hypothetically, when you see the appraisal estimate you might consider renewing based on the appraisal. We have seen GoDaddy and others give high appraisals to junk domains.

•••
Why would the registrar benefit? It is a free tool... I would understand benefits if it was a paid tool.

How would Facebook benefit from people using its free tool...

•••
They are not accurate, but I use GoDaddy appraisal tool to get an idea about the related sales to a domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back