NameSilo

discuss Is it a good idea, to put "-" into domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Exceller

Impact
I found that, too many websites, especially in English language sites, they register their domain with "-" in the name.
a simple example, domainname, and domain-name, which one is better and easy to be sold?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Depends on the name. It's often better to have top keyword domains with an hyphen than crap keywords with no hyphen.
Like Online-Services.com is better than TurdStore.com and so on.

•••
the "-" is the alternative to 2 word domain name. Usually when the website owner has the "-" it means his or her...... 2 word domain was taken so the only option left was to register the domain with "-" ....the hyphen

Names with "-" (Hypens) are not prized names to own no matter what the words are, only few really do hold value but usually is because of the site content, and they name ranks better than say a different combo of words. The "-" kills the value of name. Also if you have a domain with "-" and its developed, you could be sending alot of traffic to your competitors site if he or she owns same name without "-" . Thus stay away from "-"unless absolutley need to develop to get to rank better, or is exact keywords you need. Bottom line just stay away from "-" domains .

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
•••
My advice is to stay away from hyphens in this industry, especially if you are just starting out. Most companies wouldn't touch them.

•••
I would rather not see that crap in anyone's domain name not just my own portfolios.

•••
how about in the case of Hawai'i that has an apostrophe? Would the proper name Hawai-i be better than Hawaii?

•••
•••
I personally do not like to see hyphens in domains. It would have to be a super-super-special circumstance for me to but a hyphenated domain.

•••
They bring down the value a lot.

•••
In short:

If its a Very Strong and Searchable Keyword = High Value

If not = NO Value

A domain Seller should never go for a (-)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back