IT.COM

Is GoDaddy Premium Listing Worth It?

NameSilo
Watch

W1ZZ

Established Member
Impact
The title says it all--Are GoDaddy Premium Listings worth the 30% commission fee?

I wanted to know the difference in exposure I would get from a regular GoDaddy Auction listing vs. a premium one. So I called and of course just got a girl reading lines off of the website. She would say "Oh well if you have a good domain you should just make it a premium."

Has anyone had good results or experience with premium or regular domains? 20% difference in commission is a couple hundred bucks and I just wanted to know if it was worth it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Premium is a good steady sales venue. Just add 20-30% to your asking price to cover the commission, and your problem is solved.

•••
Premium is a good steady sales venue. Just add 20-30% to your asking price to cover the commission, and your problem is solved.

Exactly. Just adjust your price accordingly.

•••
Exactly. The same thing with escrow fees. Why argue with the buyer on who pays the escrow fees? Just add the fees to your asking price, and say you will do escrow free of charge. Argument solved.

•••
" Argument solved."

Nope. If that were true you could just keep raising prices forever.

The higher the price the less people will buy. If the Godaddy business was purely extra then it would be a net plus (which is why I will try it) but the same customers will type in the name - if they see the higher price at GD maybe they never will see the lower type-in price and not buy.

I had a long drought when SEDO MLS started at Godaddy. I think the buyers saw that auction bit and never looked further.

•••
" Argument solved."

Nope. If that were true you could just keep raising prices forever.

With respect, I think you are taking it to extremes. We are talking, at most, an additional 20% to the price to meet Godaddy's (rather greedy) cut. Very few end-user sales are lost by a 20% price difference. And whatever is lost would have to be compared to the increased sales gained by exposure on the Godaddy platform. It's all speculation though, since we don't have hard data.

The choice is:

1-You can lose sales by not being on a platform that is widely viewed by end users.
2- You can lose sales by bumping the price 20% on something that nobody knows the true value of anyway.

•••
With respect, I think you are taking it to extremes. We are talking, at most, an additional 20% to the price to meet Godaddy's (rather greedy) cut. Very few end-user sales are lost by a 20% price difference. And whatever is lost would have to be compared to the increased sales gained by exposure on the Godaddy platform. It's all speculation though, since we don't have hard data.

The choice is:

1-You can lose sales by not being on a platform that is widely viewed by end users.
2- You can lose sales by bumping the price 20% on something that nobody knows the true value of anyway.
Sounds reasonable to me.

•••
Back to the OP:

I think a notable difference is that a buyer can buy a premium domain without being a member of TDNAM, at least that is my understanding. It would be just like registering a domain for the buyer, except the price. I.e. a person who has never been interested in domain purchases, can type in the domain and add it to his shopping basket without further ado, which imo increases the chance of enduser sales.

On the other hand, if he wants to purchase a domain which is listed for sale in an ordinary GoDaddy auction, he actually has to buy a one-year auction membership fee and understand what GoDaddy auctions are.

I can see that deterring endusers from buying since it means more hassle for them. A parallell is research showing that fewer checkout stages in a webshop means more successfully completed sales. People want online purchases to be as simple and quick as possible.

So I think for a high-value domain which you want to sell to endusers, it could be worth it. If you are looking to sell to domainers or endusers which you think are members of TDNAM, it would not be worth it.

•••
Am i correct in thinking you have to have the domains registered at GD to submit them to premium auction?

•••
Its not a premium auction Bob, premium listings are in the registry path. Someone does a search for a domain name and then it says

Congratulations!
XYZExample.com

is a Premium Domain Name and is available for $18,000.00*

Need help? Call us 24/7 at (480) 366-3343

Buy It Now

Yes Premium listings must be registered at Go Daddy and only com/net/org/co are eligible.

•••
PLEASE I NEES URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!!
I WANT TO LIST MY DOMAIN ON GO DADDY PREMIUM LISTING BUT WHEN I AM ABOUT TO PLACE THE ORDER THE SCREEN DISPLAYS"There was a problem processing your transaction. Please verify your payment information or use an alternate form of payment."I TRIED TIREDLESSLY TO SOLVE IT BUT THE PROBLEM PERSIST PLEASE HELP ME OUT........THANK YOU

•••
the problem is that you are trying to use an invalid promo code so it is blocking your transaction,if that doesn't help use another card or just change the currency to some other country's currency, these are the problems that cause this error

•••
I WANT TO LIST MY DOMAIN ON GO DADDY PREMIUM LISTING BUT WHEN I AM ABOUT TO PLACE THE ORDER THE SCREEN DISPLAYS"There was a problem processing your transaction. Please verify your payment information or use an alternate form of payment."I TRIED TIREDLESSLY TO SOLVE IT BUT THE PROBLEM PERSIST PLEASE HELP ME OUT........THANK YOU

This might be due to invalid coupon or the domain might be registered already or may be in pending delete state.
Godaddy has many such issues.
coupons that gives 0.99$ or 1.99$ dot coms are mostly considered invalid in most countries other than US.
If you are applying invalid coupon use some other valid coupon and the continue with your payment. This generally solves the problem.

•••
Try changing currency. BTW, you can also list using "7 days auction" method. I personally don't like 'Premium Listing' because sometimes you end up in putting a less asking price but the auction gives you a clear idea how much worth the domain is. Just put the reserve or the starting bidding price to be on the safe side and wait & watch.

•••
Why does everyone always say just add the 20% to the price to cover the cost. This is bad advice in my opinion. If you did this on a $2,500 sale the added 20% would bump it up to $3,000. It may be only 500 bucks but there is a huge difference in trying to get someone to pull the trigger at $3,000 compared to $2,500. $3,000 sale would jump to $3,600. $3,500 would jump to $4,200. These higher numbers are hard for a consumer to comprehend and justify paying.

•••
Premium Listing means you automatically get more exposure, so chance of getting good deal is lot better than if you don't put on premium listing, you got to calculate all this as well.
I would say to add 10 to 15% percent but not 20% to 30%.

•••
Hello all
I'm a newbie in domain biz.
Pls help me with the link to the godaddy basic free listing page
Only seeing auctions and premium which I have to pay for

•••
Hello all
I'm a newbie in domain biz.
Pls help me with the link to the godaddy basic free listing page
Only seeing auctions and premium which I have to pay for
It's like $4 a year for auctions and they don't charge for premium listings. Not sure what you're looking for

•••
If you've had domains listed as premium listings their 'visibility' seems to expire after 3 months !? Is there any way to relist them to make them show up in the search again ? Some of my domains are technically still listed but when searched for it just says this domain is taken, any ideas ?

•••
If you've had domains listed as premium listings their 'visibility' seems to expire after 3 months !? Is there any way to relist them to make them show up in the search again ? Some of my domains are technically still listed but when searched for it just says this domain is taken, any ideas ?

That shouldn't happen, it's either a glitch or your premium listing expired. You can go into your premium listing settings select all in each page and set the listing to auto renew.

If the premium listing has expired it's possible that the domain will still show in the auctions feed.

Afternic fast transfer domains will also show up as premium listings. If you have the domain listed with both Godaddy premium and Afternic the first one that was listed will show up in the feed, according to Godaddy or maybe Afternic I can't remember. Which seems weird since you would think that the premium listing would supersede the technically outside listing.

Why not just put the domains on Afternic then? Because Godaddy premium listing show up right away on Godaddy, while Afternic fast transfer listings aren't active as fast transfer until the 60 day lock has expired.

•••
If very few sales are lost because 20% is added to the price, we are under-pricing our names. :)

•••
I have tried many other venues for selling domain names, but I don't seem to have any success with any of them, not even the Godaddy service. Sure, I get some of my names aren't very good, but I know I have a couple of gems as well. I do get the occasional offer form time to time, but nothing ever of significant value... I am really starting to think that the days of making money selling domains is long past us.

I still try and load my domains to Godady, only because there's only one yearly fee. Today I even joined another site that only charges for premium listings only, and everything else is free. (which is hard to find now days). That website was WebVendue.com, but it's so new that t's hard to tell if it will be successful or not. But hey, for free listings who can complain?

What I want to know is, are there any sites where people are getting REAL sales of their domains? Please share.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back