Dynadot

status-resolved Is an asking price the same as Buy It Now?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
Hi all,

Just what the title says. If someone says they’re asking $10 for a domain and you agree to pay $10, is it binding per NP rules?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
$10K is not even that low in the current market for high-end names. Seller needs to honor the deal, and NamePros mods needs to enforce it.

•••
There is no reason for this forum to have ambiguous language.

Say buy it now or taking offers. ASKING PRICE has go to go. Because someday someone is going to piss off the wrong person.

•••
There is no reason for this forum to have ambiguous language.

Say buy it now or taking offers. ASKING PRICE has go to go. Because someday someone is going to piss off the wrong person.
It’s like saying I want xyz and when someone graciously offers xyz, you say nope, I want more. That’s not operating with integrity.

•••
It’s like saying I want xyz and when someone graciously offers xyz, you say nope, I want more. That’s not operating with integrity.
Exactly what I said. I bet seller leaves forum after this incident.

•••
We have many members who English is not a native language so it could be just a misunderstanding.

To me asking price = Buy It Now

You don't really need a lawyer for this case. Just make sure they passed the English 101 class before joining any forum.
John, congrats. I gave my first Disagree to you. Could you please read the first part of your post again and again and see if it is structured well? :-P, I mean, afterall, you did hint you are native English speaker.

Last edited:
•••
FYI I am not a native English speaker.
What I meant was there may be a misunderstanding in language.

•••
FYI I am not a native English speaker.
What I meant was there may be a misunderstanding in language.

Could be. Or niche differences. Like mentioned before, in real estate it's very common to state an asking price. Given the right circumstances a well thought through asking price will result in a higher sales price. It's a negotiation tactic that works very well. Underask for your asset, draw attention to it and get a 'bidding war' going.

Should it have a place at NP? Not sure, but that's basically why Keith opened this thread I suppose. To get clarity and opinions from both mods and members regarding asking prices. It's a question worth the be asking.

Last edited:
•••
Could be. Or niche differences. Like mentioned before, in real estate it's very common to state an asking price. Given the right circumstances a well thought through asking price will result in a higher sales price. It's a negotiation tactic that works very well. Underask for your asset, draw attention to it and get a 'bidding war' going.

Should it have a place at NP? Not sure, but that's basically why Keith opened this thread I suppose. To get clarity and opinions from both mods and members regarding asking prices. It's a question worth the be asking.

In real estate, homes are sold above asking price all the time. Cars get sold above sticker price also. It's up to the seller to honor this sale but good luck if you think forum moderators can force him to do anything if he's had a change of heart.

•••
I’m sorry but the mods here have it very wrong and the owner of Namepros should clean house -

Thread:https://www.namepros.com/threads/melatonin-com-asking-10k.1186787/
Forum listed in: Make Offer
Title statement: "Asking $10k"
Moderator actions: The thread originated in the make offer forum and was not moved there by a moderator.

Conclusion: Make offer Forum coupled with the word "Asking" provides context that the seller is open to negotiation.

Seller rejected your negotiation offer:

I'm on with Dotster's tech support now as to why my contact information isn't showing up. Yes, I'd use escrow.com. Thanks for the offer on the amount. I'd like to hold and see if I can get a higher amount.
2nd negotiation rejection by seller:

Sorry for all the trouble. I'm a mess at this. I just noticed this morning that I can get appraisals on it, which I then paid for, and I'd like to see what they think.
Once a negotiation is terminated, all offers are no longer binding. Which means that anything offered after the last rejected offer is a new negotiation.

Unfortunately, the seller is no longer bound to sell, however, we do require that they provide proof of ownership for the domain now, for security reasons.

•••
Mods you are absolutely wrong. The seller rejected my initial offer but maintained the asking price, both in PM and the ask publicly.

You also do not note that I agreed to the ask prior to the seller stating they wanted an appraisal. Sloppy work on your end!

Last edited:
•••
From Flippa - an ask is a buy it now.

Summary:
  • Sellers: Place a Buy It Now at your desired asking price to enable an immediate purchase at that value
  • Buyers: Make an offer via a Buy It Now to purchase the listed asset or business immediately at that value

Last edited:
•••
Now they’re deleting my posts. From the PM that they didn’t show

upload_2020-4-22_20-15-35.png

•••
@jberryhill I’m a hair away from legal action against this forum and the seller.

•••
@jberryhill I’m a hair away from legal action against this forum and the seller.

Fight for our rights, Keith!!

Dont feel safe meet ANY “ask” in “make offer”
(if allowed, after this) -Lot can fall on guy who offered 11k after ur post, should also discouraged, since you met seller’s “ask”..

Prohibit any "ask price" in MAKE OFFER!
Now think “make offer” as broken as “request”

Last edited:
•••
This is interesting, hopefully @Keith gets the deal honored. Clearly accepted what the seller was asking ...

•••
asking price for me is price I am willing to sell at. So answer to Keith's question imo and world is yes
Just because it is in wrong section? Guy was asking 10k and willing to accept offers.
Asking means bin, call should be reversed. First down Lions. Oh wait, this isnt a game, this real money.

•••
@Keith
I posted that you should be focused more that the O.P of that thread only had 5 post.

Which you replied "We're beyond that".

Now you have that thread for ownership verification?

Looks like you're playing victim...

You could have done that yourself and not waste everyone's time with this. Mods here shouldn't do spoon feeding

•••
@Keith
I posted that you should be focused more that the O.P of that thread only had 5 post

Which you replied "We're beyond that".

Now you have that thread for ownership verification?

Looks like you're playing victim...

You could have done that yourself and not waste everyone's time with this. Mods here shouldn't do spoon feeding

It’s a moot point.

Although i despise Escrow.com; Seller clearly accepted Escrow; neutralizes those concerns.
Keith, and seller accepted Escrow as form pay.
I dont like Escrow.com, but they minimize this. Hate Escrow fees, but Escrow protects both.
There may superior options, but Escrow works.

Keith, any not engage, if escrow not accepted.
We’re past concerns due to new NP account.
We’re at the “honoring agreement” part.

Last edited:
•••
$10K is not even that low in the current market for high-end names. Seller needs to honor the deal, and NamePros mods needs to enforce it.

I don’t think there is a person here who isn’t aware this name is worth far more than 10K even among cheap domainers. Its a steal of a price. If the mods said this is not a binding agreement because of the forum and the wording I think everyone needs to accept that and move on.

•••
I don’t think there is a person here who isn’t aware this name is worth far more than 10K even among cheap domainers. Its a steal of a price. If the mods said this is not a binding agreement because of the forum and the wording I think everyone needs to accept that and move on.
The mods aren’t lawyers as far as I know.

•••
The mods aren’t lawyers as far as I know.

And you aren’t going to get the name by bullying and causing a scene In the public square which you seem to like to do alot. Its clear from the pms you decided to post publicly the guy does not know its true worth and made an error. If someone started a big stink about a name I owned I would not sell it to them either. At least one person the 11K offer took the wording differently.

•••
And you aren’t going to get the name by bullying and causing a scene In the public square which you seem to like to do alot. Its clear from the pms you decided to post publicly the guy does not know its true worth and made an error. If someone started a big stink about a name I owned I would not sell it to them either. At least one person the 11K offer took the wording differently.
You’re in the minority.

Also -
upload_2020-4-22_21-51-38.png

•••
Thanks Keith, and i’m sure this well prevent future problems, caused by ambiguity in “Offer”

And You arent “bullying” it’s your right.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
It's not a steal in today's high-end market climate, but it is a decent deal based on search volume.

I'm not going to discuss the value of this domain but given that it's a pure EMD with almost zero companies using it in their brand I can tell you that $10k wholesale is not a steal.

I wasn't aware that you buy at the high-end of this market, and I would assume that these "cheap domainers" you refer to probably don't buy at the high-end of the market either.

This would be a steal if it sold to an end-user but Keith is just an investor buying a domain at wholesale on a forum full of investors.

Last edited:
•••
At least one person the 11K offer took the wording differently.

I get where you are coming from Karma and maybe @Domain Truth thought that. But I modded here for many years and there were a couple occasions where a member thought a name sold cheap in a FIXED PRICE thread where after someone posted sold say $500, someone would post I'll give you $600. Now it was deleted because it was a violation the name was already sold. It was done to stir the pot and test the seller's integrity.

And while real estate does allow for certain things, that's real estate. This forum has never operated on those kind of real estate rules, anyone saying otherwise is a liar or misinformed.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back