Dynadot

status-resolved Is an asking price the same as Buy It Now?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
Hi all,

Just what the title says. If someone says they’re asking $10 for a domain and you agree to pay $10, is it binding per NP rules?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Absolutely should be.
Thank you and I agree.

I have now met the buyers asking price in the public thread they created and also via PM. Mods are saying the seller isn’t obligated to sell because they posted in make offer section.

Mind you, people start threads in wrong sections daily and mods simply move them.

•••
I don't get it.. how is asking $10 a 'make offer'?
Can you share the selling thread?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thanks for that.
So, according to the mods, what exactly you should have written to close the asking 10k deal? :)

•••
In the PM, mods referenced negotiations starting over. Here’s the info -

I offered $6k and seller said he’d rather get the higher number. I then offered $7k and before he responded I said let’s just do the $10k or asking price.

Mods are saying this is somehow not binding. Now I’ve posted SOLD publicly in the seller’s thread. Will mods enforce the rules now?!

Last edited:
•••
Thank you and I agree.

I have now met the buyers asking price in the public thread they created and also via PM. Mods are saying the seller isn’t obligated to sell because they posted in make offer section.

Mind you, people start threads in wrong sections daily and mods simply move them.

Nonsense utter nonsense

That's like saying if you start an auction there, it would get moved. That's wrong and a disgrace.

•••
@Keith only misleading buy it now is @Sedo’s.

WTF is this Sedo? add.com sold $800k at NC. Sure; buyer defaulted, but isnt offered for 50k

815A65F3-9201-4A99-B42F-D5AE3E134132.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
Quite clearly states they are are asking for 10k

You have posted sold - deal has been reached, end of.

Hopefully the seller sticks to their end of the bargain.

•••
Also, the seller listed this for sale about 3 weeks ago for $1000. He said he made a mistake and that thread is closed now. Fair enough.

I’m agreeing to pay 10x the listing from weeks ago.

•••
Looks like they are playing games to try and get an idea on pricing.......

•••
In that case, mods should make sure the domain cannot be listed for sale here. It should also not be allowed to be appraised here.

•••

Difference in this case is,
this is being allowed by the moderation which makes no sense imo.

•••
Just what the title says. If someone says they’re asking $10 for a domain and you agree to pay $10, is it binding per NP rules?

My understanding is that it is...offer + acceptance = deal

ADD: I recently sold the frame and motor parts of a 69 mustang. On a piece of plywood I wrote 'asking 1000 cash' and leaned it up against the frame. About an hour later a guy showed up with the cash, I gave him the salvage title and he said he would be back in a few hours with a rollback. About twenty minutes after he left, another guy showed up with a wrecker and offered me 1200...even if I still had the title, as far as I was concerned the sale had been made. Would it have been okay for me to sell to the second guy if my sign read: 'make offer...I am asking 1000'. The answer is no.

Last edited:
•••
@Keith only misleading buy it now is @Sedo’s.

WTF is this Sedo? add.com sold $800k at NC. Sure; buyer defaulted, but isnt offered for 50k

Show attachment 152002

Sedo been doing this and no joke I have an article ready to go on this that I started a couple days ago, "Hey Sedo this needs to change"

Now we got it here.

Look something is either make an offer. Buy it now or accepting offers this is the asking price/Buy it now.

•••
This is what the mods said after seeing the PM convo -

“Hello,

It appears that the asking/Buy Now price has been met by the buyer, which creates a binding agreement between the buyer and seller. However, since it was a make offer listing, and negotiations in this direct message ended/started over, you are not bound to sell it at this time.”

Now I’ve posted SOLD in the actual thread. Maybe the mods will change course now.

Last edited:
•••
"Make offer" section should never have "Ask" or "BIN" to begin.

That was before Keith pointed out unethical practices that may occur.

Hopefully mods clear it up, ASK/BIN anywhere is ASK/BIN.. Period.
Regardless of section!!

Last edited:
•••
•••
On Sedo, asking price does not equal BIN.
On NamePros... maybe there should be a poll?

•••
If anyone else here wanted that name, I bet he is getting higher offers by PM and decided its worth more than that. Since he made the mistake instead of just putting five figures or XXXXX, he put an actual figure—-the deal should be honored. I find it interesting someone can slither out of this based on it being technically a make offer thread.

•••
Interesting dilemma as I can see it from both sides.

An agreed asking price can be seen as a done deal but at the same time it can also be seen as this is where the seller wants to begin. Think of an auctioneer accepting bids while in-between saying "I am asking X". The next bidder doesn't get it for that price until they are the final bid, to which it is then indeed sold.

So in that regard, 'asking' being the same as a (minimum) 'make offer' does make sense.

•••

An agreed asking price can be seen as a done deal but at the same time it can also be seen as this is where the seller wants to begin. Think of an auctioneer accepting bids while in-between saying "I am asking X". The next bidder doesn't get it for that price until they are the final bid, to which it is then indeed sold.

So in that regard, 'asking' being the same as a (minimum) 'make offer' does make sense.
He didn’t say accepting offers, auction, make offer, blah blah.

He said, here’s what I want.

•••

Yes, "asking" can be seen as the start of negotiations.

•••
Yes, "asking" can be seen as the start of negotiations.
Sure, if you say you’re asking for offers that’s great. If you say you’re asking for a specific amount, that’s a buy it now price.

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back