Dynadot

Is a 1:2 click rate to visitors ratio normal?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I earn some money on Adsense but in no way do I depend on Adsense. So I don't really check my earnings everyday. I probably check it about once a week to help me analyze what's working and what's not.

This week, there's been a jump in my earnings - coming from three sites that I recently added the Adsense codes to. They are niche websites and I'm recording a 50% visitor click rate, which means for every 2 visitors that land on these sites, at least 1 of them will click on an Adsense advert.

Is this normal at all? I'm quite new to niche websites, but for non-niched sites (which I'm quite used to) there can even be only 1 in 100 visitors that clicks on an advert.

I almost feel that someone's trying to sabotage my Adsense account by deliberately clicking on my ads. If this is so, why would anyone sabotage someone's Adsense account? I understand that competitors would do it but in no way are my sites competitive (I have barely started promoting them).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is a very high percentage. Have you looked at your logs to see if your traffic is coming from the same IP or a couple of IP's? Also look at which page or pages are getting the traffic - evenly distributed or one particular page? Was the domain being used by someone else before and might be getting traffic from that? Is there something in the news that's spiked interest in the topic?

Just a few things to look at.

•••
Hi enlytend, thank you for your response.

I just checked the stats for today and it's still the same. I might have to pull out my ads temporarily while I try to solve this "problem". To answer your questions:

Traffic are coming from varying IP addresses. I can see revisits from the same IP, probably around 3+ times but this is not irregular through my experience, as this happens to all of my websites. There is this one IP though, a French IP....that seems to be visiting often, probably too often. The problem with these three websites is that the theme is designed in a way that they do not refresh whenever a visitor clicks on a sub-page. So I think this affects the recorded page impressions.

These websites were never used by anyone before me. I had registered them specifically to turn them into niche websites.

I accept guest posts on the site, so contributors tend to promote their own articles through social media networks. But what would make these visitors click in order to sabotage my Adsense account? Now that's just weird.

UPDATE - A few other webmasters on another forum has reported an IP address from Germany, apparently a 'click bomber' this guy or a group of people using the same IP address is going around clicking ads. I don't know why they would do that, perhaps to sabotage our Adsense accounts or perhaps they are trying to affect a competitors advert campaign. I have blocked 2 suspecting IP addresses from my websites. I don't know if I've got their IP addresses right but at this point it's better to be safe than sorry.

That is a very high percentage. Have you looked at your logs to see if your traffic is coming from the same IP or a couple of IP's? Also look at which page or pages are getting the traffic - evenly distributed or one particular page? Was the domain being used by someone else before and might be getting traffic from that? Is there something in the news that's spiked interest in the topic?

Just a few things to look at.

Last edited:
•••
Back