Dynadot

Internet of Things (IOT) Industry Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I looked back a few pages and didn't see any similar posts, so I thought I would showcase a few IOT domain names I'm hand-registering in hopes of an end user sale sometime down the road. Hope you will all do the same, post sales of IOT names, and discuss the potential for this broad growing industry.

Brandable: IOTROL, IOTICO, IOTICAM, IOTISTICS, IOTICOM, IOTICON, IOTHERM, IOTICA, IOTIVE

Keyword: IOTEngineer, IOTBigData, IOTMiddleware, BigDataIOT, SmartCitiesTech, SmartCitiesTechnology, SmartCitiesIOT, SmartCityIOT

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I've grabbed the following with IOT prefix in .com, just to see where this goes. If you wait until things become ubiquitous you're too late.

connectivity
engineers
helpdesk
datasecurity
networksecurity
cloudsecurity
cloudnetwork
controlcenter
devicemanager

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thought I'd try two IOT 'Brandables':

HomeEvolve com

ThingConnector com

Plus

IOTville com

IOTproviders com

Last edited:
•••
additional regd, after my first sale on this niche.

iotHoldings.com
iotHQ.com
iotLtd.com

Last edited:
•••
additional regd, after my first sale on this niche.

iotHoldings.com
iotHQ.com
iotLtd.com

Wow, I like! It's amazing how many IOT domains are still available. 5 years ago or so it was 'cloud' domains you could pick up like these, but we'll have to see if IOT takes off like the cloud did...

•••
You cannot get caught up with so many IOT related names, sure IOT.com/net/org popular cctlds, they can be all encompassing for a website.

The consumer hears the word cloud, companies like Western Digital market to them using the word cloud.

The Internet of Things will not be marketed in that way on a big scale. So these names are going to be best for B2B, but many companies will be branding themselves, I am not saying there is no value in any of them, but there is no need for someone to own 30 IOT related domains with bad keywords. IOT certainly has a future so those with best of breed domains could do very well.

Security is going to be a major deal, bigger than what most people imagine. Secondly there could eventually be a backlash against the Internet of Things, people will come to wonder why things that don't need to be connected to the Internet are, and open the doors for more security problems. Security type names would be an area I would focus on getting the best IOT related names. Sensor related domains would make sense too since it is all about sensors.

So I see IOTSecurity.com or IOTSecure.com as being worthwhile, but any old keyword that people think because it has search volume has value, probably does not.

The Internet of Things is going to be big no doubt, but like I said earlier when the public comes to understand it or you have some real problems the backlash could make this niche less desirable. If you are going to be a future thinker for investment opportunity you also have to think in the future how it could be a problem or backlash.

Very few people in the public outside of Tech/Domaining know what IOT means, politicians certainly don't. When they start hearing stories about malware in refrigerators or how someone got trapped in their connected home, who knows what will happen. So imo don't go crazy, its going to be big but could go a lot of ways.

From Wikipedia

Criticism

Songdo, South Korea, the first of its kind fully equipped and wired ubiquitous, or smart city is near completion. Nearly everything in this digital metropolis of smart homes is planned to be wired, connected and turned into a constant stream of data that would be monitored and analyzed by an array of computers with little, or no human intervention. Thus, Internet of Things, or embedded intelligence in things, with "smart systems that are able to take over complex human perceptive and cognitive functions and frequently act unnoticeably in the background"[48] is a close reality.

While technologists tout the Internet of Things as one more step toward a better world, scholars and social observers have some reservations and doubts about approaching ubiquitous computing revolution. Peter-Paul Verbeek, a professor of philosophy of technology at the University of Twente, Netherlands, writes that technology already influences our moral decision making, which in turns affects human agency, privacy and autonomy.[49] He cautions against viewing technology merely as a human tool and advocates instead to consider it as an active agent.

A different criticism is that the Internet of Things is being developed rapidly without appropriate consideration of the profound security challenges involved and the regulatory changes that might be necessary.[50] In particular, as the Internet of Things spreads widely, cyber attacks are likely to become an increasingly physical (rather than simply virtual) threat.[51]

The U.S. National Intelligence Council in an unclassified report maintains that it would be hard to deny "access to networks of sensors and remotely-controlled objects by enemies of the United States, criminals, and mischief makers...An open market for aggregated sensor data could serve the interests of commerce and security no less than it helps criminals and spies identify vulnerable targets. Thus, massively parallel sensor fusion may undermine social cohesion if it proves to be fundamentally incompatible with Fourth-Amendment guarantees against unreasonable search."[52] In general, the intelligence community views Internet of Things as a rich source of data.[53]

•••
@equity78

Wise words and yes you're right to advise treading carefully, although as long as there are GD codes to reg domains for $2-$3, I'm more than happy to test the waters for a year or so, especially in this field considering the amount of investment being thrown at it.

I agree with B2B being the main market for IOT domains and personally, I'm already on the lookout for more 'home friendly' brandables, of which there seem to be many.

In today's news, Zuckerberg mentions IOT in a speech he made.

"We do identity, social and enable services to easily bring their friends and content," he said. "That should automatically extend to the Internet of Things."

And if FB sees the importance in utilizing IOT, then all the more reason to get involved at this level. Also, alot of last years IOT registrations come from China, at least that's what I discovered whilst looking for available reg's and it's encouraging to see that IOT is already being adopted over there as the acronym of choice.

Anyways, will be interesting to see how this thread develops over the coming months. Good luck to everyone with IOT domains :)

•••
I am not negative on IOT, I just hate to see new people usually teenagers join late and because they can't get the best names, reg any keyword because they use other metrics to have it make sense, its better new domain investors get a good taste in their mouth, don't chase trends you don't understand and don't be ignorant to the potential negatives that can affect the trend.

I think IOTSafety.com was a nice sale, IOTresearch.com was even nicer, and these are great returns on handregged domains.

•••
I am not negative on IOT, I just hate to see new people usually teenagers join late and because they can't get the best names, reg any keyword because they use other metrics to have it make sense, its better new domain investors get a good taste in their mouth, don't chase trends you don't understand and don't be ignorant to the potential negatives that can affect the trend.

I think IOTSafety.com was a nice sale, IOTresearch.com was even nicer, and these are great returns on handregged domains.

I think there's something about 'Internet of Things' that seems to promise alot more. 3D Printing has been heralded as the Next Industrial Revolution for the last couple of years and then suddenly, it's IOT that goes and snatches the crown! There's obviously hype with every new emerging market, so 3DP and IOT are no different there, but between them, and with all these tech giant's backing, I'd say the future has finally arrived and it comes with different rules and a different look. Hence registering 50+ names and numbers for free with the Wireless Registry. What's the harm in imagining it's the beginning of a new investment phenomenon? And after all, domain names were free to begin with too :)

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Sensor related domains would make sense too since it is all about sensors.

Taking your advice on board, I registered:

IOsensors.com :cy:

Last edited:
•••
In case it does indeed all come crumbling down...

IotRecovery

and on the sensor side of things...

SensingDevice
Sensor2Sensor....my only domain with a number in it, and about closest I've come to reg'ing a "brandable"

•••
Lol I was going to register iotrecovery yesterday

•••
Speaking of the Wireless Registry and the "DNS of Things" as it's called, i regged DNSOT.com just in case the thing takes off.

I've been focusing mainly on the brandable aspects of IOT in my domain hand regs, in agreement that the keyword domain sales might be few and far between.

This is a waiting game, the big data domains are just starting to pay off for me after more than a year. I think the same will apply to IOT.

Last edited:
•••
ThingProtector com to go with my:

ThingConnector com.

Also got:

FogServers com

as in Fog Computing.

•••
Sorry. Wong thread.

Last edited:
•••
IOTBuild.com

I think i am going to stick to just this one, for now.

•••
Had to get myself a couple more....

iotnation.com
iotgeneration.com
:)

•••
•••
And it will quickly go full circle and just be called 'The Internet" again (open sourced lol)

•••
first i have heard of ioe, for me just one iot name …..hostiot

•••
I remember they said the same thing with Segway. Back then, they said it will revolutionize human transportation forever, with cities rebuilt behind segway with entire humans moving around in 2-wheeled scooters. What a massive marketing blitz that was.

•••
Here's how you can outdo Cisco: Pay ICANN $185k to have dominance over .ioe
Then you can do like Donuts and Frank Schilling of Uniregistry: Hoard all the good stuff and sell the leftover crap lol.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

The most correct term is: "ubiquitous internet".

Too bad that's also too much of a mouthful and hard to spell; otherwise I would have reged the best domains for it ;)

•••
I remember they said the same thing with Segway. Back then, they said it will revolutionize human transportation forever, with cities rebuilt behind segway with entire humans moving around in 2-wheeled scooters. What a massive marketing blitz that was.

i think the inventor died testing an off road version , he fell over a cliff !

•••
i think the inventor died testing an off road version , he fell over a cliff !
No, it wasn't the inventor. But the businessman who purchased the company.

The Internet Of Things/Everything, is very similar to what Intel Corporation tried to do with the PC back in the late 90s and early 2000, when they launched a campaign to make the PC the central network of all gadgets inside the home. We now know, that campaign never panned out.

•••
Had a $500 offer on:

Internet/Of/Travel

.com

Plus a mid $xxx offer on:

Internet/of/Games

.com

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back