IT.COM

,info is really hard to rank

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I created 3 niche sites all in the same domain but with different extensions.. different contents... I promoted 100% same effort and after a month, the .com and .net are in first page of google but the .info is on the 72nd.. LOL. Really hard... I think google doesn't really love .info....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
3 sites = not exactly a statistically valid experiment :).

I'd be more inclined to think in your case the extension's a coincidence, not the cause.

•••
my 2-3 .info sites works well :)

dont think ext is imp

•••
.info domains are often viewed as 'spammy' because they are cheap (the 1st year). Try maybe to renew the domain for a year or more in advance, at standard renewal fee. Maybe this will send a positive signal you have long term plans for the name :)

•••
If you can.. use .info just to try your niche topic.. is it a good keyword or not
and if you sure that you get niche keyword... use .com, .net, .org to your domain name..

•••
Silveraden said:
.Info is really hard to rank
I think google doesn't really love .info....
BS
I have found .info just as Easy/Hard to rank as .com (Whatever Else)

•••
I'm pretty sure the "official" google message on this is that all TLDs are treated equally, except when it comes to location specific TLDs.

•••
i found out a similar kind of observation with my domain names.
This proves that Google is "RACIST" against .info domains.

For the record, I have one that does very well*.

Google has said officially that (aside from the country-of-origin bias for cctlds) they don't discriminate, however I don't believe they've ever said they don't scrutinize content on some extensions a little more closely than others... Not saying they DO, but they never (afaik) said they DON'T and they certainly could if they wanted to.

*(I also spent hours researching and developing useful content for the site, which paid off in an unsolicited .gov link.)

Last edited:
•••
I have an .info (admittedly with quality, original content, regularly enriched - at least monthly - and online for several years already) running among the top ten (or twenty, it varies) for results in French for a very common word producing 218,000,000 results with Google.fr. And beside .fr names (obvious for a search in French), there are a few .org and even a .tv name among the top ten/twenty for that word.

So I do not really believe there is a prejudice against .info - as long as content is attractive and original. And not forgetting the right "density" of the desired keyword, not the easiest thing to reach.

•••
.info it's not a good domain. The best domain for SEO is .com if you want to get high ranked in search results

•••
I think that rank doesn't depend on the domain name - but I think that com websites seem more reliable and prestigious for the customers. But it is only my point of view.

•••
.info domain is one of the flop domains.

•••
not really..

in indonesia, .info blog won a SEO contest....

•••
Domain extension does not have any relation with Google ranking. May be there are some factors that are responsible for your .info site for not getting well ranking in Google. For that reason you can't blame .info. So Google loves .com sites or .gov sites these are nothing but fake ideas!

•••
Well it's getting worst... my co.cc domain ranked now higher than .info.. with 2 exact content and promotion method.. LOL

•••
.com .net .info any tld that ranks better or not that is a MYTH .....

•••
So is the content identical on each of the three sites (.com/.net./info - four if you count the ccTLD later mentioned)?

If the content is not identical then how can you compare them?

Has each site got the same number of links in and out? If they have are the links identical?

How often does each have content changed, and is this done identically?

Is the layout of the pages identical, same pictures, text, etc?

Are meta tags identical?

Now with some of these points above the answer is obviously 'NO' (I hope anyway, otherwise get ready to lose ranking on all of them). Therefore there can be no direct comparrison between the sites.

A word of advice, stop looking to blame some unknown Google algorithm and instead spend the time and effort making your site better, in the end it will prove much more beneficial for your health and your bank balance.

•••
I'm pretty sure the "official" google message on this is that all TLDs are treated equally, except when it comes to location specific TLDs.

That is true Matt Cutts says Google treated every websites equally. I think its how you optimize your .info sites because i saw some .info sites rank well on SERPs.

•••
it's not about TLds. it's about how hard you work...

•••
.com and .net get special pref from search engine..but .info also works well..but u need to work harder than the .com and .net sites..

•••
domain extension doesn't matter. it is lot better to register a keyword rich info domain than a domain with extra special characters or generic words added. for example, YourKeywordHere.info is lot better than Your-Keyword-Here-Site.com

•••
Well, after almost 2 months, the result is not even close... .info is in 3rd page and the com and net are both in front... hmmm.. I cannot argue no more..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back