Dynadot

Indian Domains, which one is best .in or .co.in?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What extension do you like the most .in or .co.in?

• 1st

I think .co.in has the best potential.

votes
    60.0%
  • 2nd

I think .in has the best potential.

votes
    40.0%

• 15 votes
  • Ended 19 years ago
  • Final results
Impact
I have never registered an Indian domain name, and today I decided to find out if there were any restrictions on registering Indian domains. Apparently there are none.

While I was looking for information I noticed that India seems to be operating with 2 main TLD .in and .co.in and they have different prices.

My question is, which one is the most valueable? i.e. which one do Indians type first is it .in or .co.in?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would assume they mean different things.....but .in (shorter) seems alot better. :)

•••
I would say .in would be better IMHO

•••
.in
I don't see the point in .co.in :P
tooo long :D

•••
JoshHendo said:
.in
I don't see the point in .co.in :P
tooo long :D

.co.uk does better than .uk :hehe:

•••
mellowmasher said:
.co.uk does better than .uk :hehe:
Have you ever seen anyone with ".UK" other than the British governmental entities?

•••
Binfus said:
Have you ever seen anyone with ".UK" other than the British governmental entities?

Nope.

All the companies "that I know of" use .co.uk. This is what is advertised, even on tv :)

•••
mellowmasher said:
Nope.

All the companies "that I know of" use .co.uk.
This is so because ".UK" is not even an option for them....so whats the point of comparing it to .co.uk which is the only option for commercial entities in UK...On the other hand, in India both .co.in and .in will be available to anyone who wants to have either or both....Its no use comparing apples with oranges...

•••
photomonkey said:
My question is, which one is the most valueable? i.e. which one do Indians type first is it .in or .co.in?

It's .co.in.

-Pratik

•••
.co.in has been around longer, and thus better known.

•••
I like .in better, .co.in is just a sub-extension of it.

•••
FusunMedia said:
I like .in better, .co.in is just a sub-extension of it.
Agreed. The registry knows this very well and thats why .in is more expensive than all the sub-extensions; including .co.in....its just a matter of time that India's main ccTLD becomes the mainstream...even the big ones like Google and Yahoo who've continued to use .co.in so far will have to decide whether they want to be perceived as serving India as a whole (.IN) or just its commercial sector(.co.in). Ebay has already made the switch; www.Ebay.co.in redirects to www.Ebay.in !!

Last edited:
•••
•••
IMO, .in is better. It serves India as a whole nation, not just the commercian side.

•••
pratiknaik said:
photomonkey said:
Originally Posted by photomonkey
pratiknaik said:
It's .co.in.

-Pratik
Thank you very much.
While I agree with every one that the shorter the better, one must not disregard people's expectations.
If you have a .in and people expect it to be .co.in or vice-versa you will be giving free traffic to somebody else

Last edited:
•••
I'd register both - .co.in & .in version if I am planning on developing the name. Because it's all speculations as of now that .IN will overtake .CO.IN. But you never know..

-Pratik

•••
yah i'd buy both of the TLD's so that your not giving free traffic to some one lol

•••
.in sounds cooler and shorter! also, you can match it with other words so it's like you're just stringing words :) makes it more fun

•••
.IN will be the best in the long run. Don't waste your money on .co.in

•••
•••
commes said:
yah i'd buy both of the TLD's so that your not giving free traffic to some one lol
Yeah, that is what I have done ! :)

•••
This discussion has happened on many forums and the same old thing results the above poster has stated it too. Google when asked prefer the .co.in hense why you will see the .co.in and never the .in on there site. Yahoo also followed suit.

Sure .in is nice and i would suggest registering both but thus far .co.in is the winner hands down the .in will catch up eventually but the .co.in version of my domains which i have registered both traffic wise blows all my .in out of the water.

Ebay have changed there minds 5 times in the last 2 months wouldnt suprise me if next week the .in redirects to the .co.in and then back again a week or two later. Personally i think they are testing the water to see which extension fairs better.

personally i think the .in will be the winner with the LLL.in type of domains because it is short and to the point this i am seeing with my own. When it comes to business names and brandability then i think you will find the .co.in comes out on top.

Mellows arguement above is valid ok sure we in the UK can not register the .uk but if that was an option maybe the .uk would be a winner but the ".co" part of the name has been around for along time and is well known through out the world. This i believe is the reason for the .co.in doing so well. the ".co" is looked upon as "company" so when looked at "company india" or "company uk" is taken more serious. It also has a nice ring to it.

Again they will even out in time once the domain extension has matured, but i believe the .in will not be more popular than the .co.in in time i think you will find they will both be as good as each other.

•••
Even in the Philippines, .COM.PH is popular than .PH.

It may still be the same with .CO.IN

•••
Binfus said:
This is so because ".UK" is not even an option for them....so whats the point of comparing it to .co.uk which is the only option for commercial entities in UK...On the other hand, in India both .co.in and .in will be available to anyone who wants to have either or both....Its no use comparing apples with oranges...

I know :xf.love:

I just think .co.uk has a better "ring" to it :imho:

Its a bit of a guessing game, if we all knew, we would all be rich :hehe:

•••
All these comments but only 2 votes in the poll?

Maybe the poll title confused people...

What extension do you like the most .in or .co.uk?

:p

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back