IT.COM

For India domains, .in or .co.in?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
As many domainers know,one of the latest extensions to be released is the India extensions,.IN and .co.in.

There's already thousands of .co.in domains in existence,so my first thought would be that web surfers in India are more accustomed to typing .co.in than .in,which doesn't seem to exist yet.
However the registrars are strongly promoting them as ".IN" with the .co.in as somewhat of a footnote.I plan on registering a handful when they come out on February 16th but am interested to hear what people think.Especially what people in India think..
Does the greater potential lie in .IN or .co.in?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
stay far far far away from DirectI.

HORRID BUSINESS

•••
I would have thought .in has far better long term prospects than co.in. Maybe there are many more co.in domains now but I bet .in will catch up fast.

•••
Personally I'd go with .in.. that would seem to be the more "universal" of the two.

•••
Another point to remember is .in will be 50% more expensive to register than co.in. An obvious assumption for this pricing is they expect .in to have a higher demand.

•••
I only need one .IN. It's so non-descript I sometimes wonder whether I actually need to pre-reg such things :)

Congratulations. Your Domain Name ______.in has been queued for Pre-Registration. Please read through this mail, and store it for future reference.

Order Details
Order ID:
Domain Name: _____.in
No of Years: 2
Cost Price: USD39.38

FAQ

How do I manage this domain name?

If we successfully register this domain name for you, we will be sending you an email with detailed instructions on the same.

Why is this called a pre-registration process?

The .IN Registry is launching live on 16th February 2005. Once the real-time registration starts, we will immediately submit your domain name for registration.

Can multiple people apply for the same name during the pre-registration stage?

Yes. We will accept multiple applications during the pre-registration stage. All domain names which have multiple applications and get registered will be auctioned off to the highest bidder and the other parties will be refunded their monies. The auction rules will be announced by the 2nd week of February.

What is the chance of getting this domain name?

As opposed to other Registrars, you have a far higher chance of getting the name you want with us since we represent a coalition of several Registrars whose applications will be pooled together to obtain all the domain names.

If my domain is not registered, how will I get my refund?

Our system will automatically credit your customer account with the FULL amount that you have paid for this domain name. All refunds will be credited to your customer account in less than 2 weeks after the registry goes live i.e. after 16th Feb 2005.

•••
LeeRyder said:

HORRID BUSINESS
Really? It is weird that i hear all these good things some place else, but no mention in namepros.

•••
(Sorry if this is a little off topic.)

1rrr1 said:
Really? It is weird that i hear all these good things some place else, but no mention in namepros.
I was wondering that too. Maybe LeeRyder can start a new thread and tell us about his experience with DirectI. I have been looking at them and so far have read almost nothing but positive reviews.

•••
LeeRyder said:

HORRID BUSINESS
Can you tell me why?

•••
Going back to topic .in gets my vote, I personally thing its better option than co.in

Now speaking about Directi, they may not be one of the biggest players but I think they are good company.
Unfortunately the approach they took to the pre reg is not welcomed for many domainers.
It will be better from my point of view to take the cc info for a pre-authorization instead of charging you the reg fee and then go to an auction for the name.

•••
boldylicious said:
Going back to topic .in gets my vote, I personally thing its better option than co.in

Now speaking about Directi, they may not be one of the biggest players but I think they are good company.
Unfortunately the approach they took to the pre reg is not welcomed for many domainers.
It will be better from my point of view to take the cc info for a pre-authorization instead of charging you the reg fee and then go to an auction for the name.

That's exactly what I think ... I won't use them for that reason.

Grégoire.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back