IT.COM

IDNs .tv, do they worth?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've been checking some russian idn names and they are available for .tv, but i am not sure if it worths to register idn names under this extension.

What is your opinion?

thanks in advance

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Geo and Premium Keywords are where I draw the line with .TV. I might be launching a mini-site on one soon... never really tried development on a .tv, but the keyword is damn good enough.

Forgot to mention: If you can get coupons to lower the price of the tv reg price, then it might be worth it even more to explore IDN.tv. I've done some research and a lot of places use .tv when the com/net are taken... so it might be worth exploring a bit depending on the niche.

•••
Yesterday I registered HàNội.tv, which just happens to be the name of the city's main television station. I don't expect any type-ins, but I reckon the developmental potential is awesome.

Of all the alternative extensions out there (and it looks like there's going to be a good many more with what ICAAN is proposing), .tv is the one that has the most potential IMO. It is highly targeted and readily marketable. Relevant keywords (including all geos) in that extension are worth it, although you wouldn't want to go nuts registering given the pricing!

Last edited:
•••
I have around 50 IDN .TV names. Most of them are prime keywords, fit with media industry. Some of them are Geo names.

Got this one recently: Nowości dot TV :gl:

•••
.tv said:
I have around 50 IDN .TV names. Most of them are prime keywords, fit with media industry. Some of them are Geo names.

Got this one recently: Nowości dot TV :gl:

You have some awesome IDN.TVs ;). Some that I missed cause I was hesitant... Oh well :D

•••
IMO .tv for IDN is mostly for development. Even for ASCII too.

•••
1rrr1 said:
IMO .tv for IDN is mostly for development. Even for ASCII too.

That's why I only go for Geos and Premium keywords ;) Absolutely agreed... but they are the most brandable after .com/.net.

•••
Great thread.
After reading this I decided to check out some Korean IDN.tv (It's the only language I can verify the translations)

Anyway,
Picked up (in Korean)

English.tv (English learning is a huge business)
Church.tv (kind of translates to church/religion)
School.tv
Finance.tv

any thoughts or opinions?

•••
well, after reading your opinions maybe i will decide to make some .tv registration since i've found two really great keywords (IMO, of course) free in arabic and greek and also those in russian i told in the first post :)

•••
J73 said:
Great thread.
After reading this I decided to check out some Korean IDN.tv (It's the only language I can verify the translations)

Anyway,
Picked up (in Korean)

English.tv (English learning is a huge business)
Church.tv (kind of translates to church/religion)
School.tv
Finance.tv

any thoughts or opinions?

I think religious keywords are great cause you can create a video site around them... along with school. English? = English learning site using video tutorials? Finance? Hrmmm... tough one, but great keyword.

Only problem is development! Type-in is probably non-existent for .tv, but definitely can be branded once developed.

•••
I think tv will ultimately prove to be more brandable than .net, despite dot nets first mover advantage.

It has the advantage of being a far more versatile word, language wise. People know what tv is in almost every culture, without having to have it explained to them. It makes sense as an extension to be advertised on television, much more so than dot net and works visually with an advertisement. I think more people will realize this as time goes on. The word itself works as a reinforcer when presented in that media.

Words with strong positioning value and memorable names are important in advertising, particularly in a competitive marketplace. The dot tv extension also has the obvious benefit of being associated with video content which is rising in terms of importance on the internet and in terms of the capability to deliver that content to a user.

While this realization hasn't been completely grasped by many, I am starting to see more dot tv domains advertised in this manner. I think the strongest benefits will be seen in commercial type domains, where specific products and associative keywords will emerge as winners. Dot tv offers the opportunity to do category branding in a way that other extensions, outside of the highly established dot com, do not offer.

A technique that I haven't seen used, which would be well suited for the extension, would be to create short spots that direct a viewer to a video catalog, which would also present the advertiser to make a more in depth presentation at lower cost. This would be particularly suitable to a category of items, such as might be normally presented in a catalog. It may also work well with items that require extensive education, but where interest can be generated by a quick lead in, such as products which are traditionally sold on infomercials. Most items work well when presented visually, and some which are particularly well suited are items that work well when being modeled, such as clothing and jewelry.

From a technological standpoint, there is more work being done to create video sites and presentation systems than in almost any other area of internet development. The success of youtube and other video sites ensured that platform specific tools would be a source of intense interest. As these tools emerge, the question of what sites they are best placed on is going to be asked and answered in reasonably short order. I think dot tv is going to prove to be an intuitive choice, whether the site is personal, social, or commercially oriented.

The direction of the internet can be divined by what technologies receive the most attention. Video technology is likely to become a significant platform for presentation, for the significant number of people who prefer their information in visual form.

Forward looking purchasers are going to see these trends and are going to position themselves accordingly. The merger of internet and television technologies is underway with the transition to digital broadcasting. The dot TV brand will have a familiar visual appeal as this transition occurs, and will likely have a considerable trust factor built in with forty years of indoctrination in the value of the extension. The networks themselves are laying the groundwork, with shows/channels appearing with names like True Tv, M tv, HgTv.

As shows of various forms appear to attract more specialized markets they will choose a name like Fashion.tv over a name such as Fashion.net. So yes, media players will be interested in the market, and are probably quietly positioning themselves as we speak. The increasing ubiquity of the video camera lowers the entry barriers for video sites considerably. This should not be underestimated in terms of its effect, and in its effect on brand reinforcement. When building a site of this nature, or uploading content to an existing site, people will increasingly look for dot tv for obvious reasons as a means of promoting their content. The availability of ever improving tools for managing and creating video content will ensure the extensions growth for a long period of time to come.

As the video transition occurs, a wide variety of extensions will be considered for sites. Dot com/net/org have built in trust factors, and dot com has an incredible first mover advantage. Dot nets advantage, although significant, is considerably weaker in this regard. When a person goes to a dot net site they are not sure what to expect in terms of content, when a person is searching for visual media, they will know what to expect when going to a dot tv site. Trust is a major factor in decisions, and dot TV carries a significant amount of trust simply by years of re-enforcement in the brand itself. If a user is looking for video based information from two unknown sites, they will choose the dot tv over the dot net or dot info, if they are presented on relatively equal terms.

The potentials of dot TV are far from being reached, and of the potential new extensions it is likely to remain an extremely valuable choice. From a marketing perspective, dot TV makes sense in terms of availability, positional branding and visual appeal. The friendly two letter extension of TV is also well suited to logo design and other factors which are considered by advertisers.

In summary, dot net has brandability, but as the tools and awareness of dot TV continue to impact the market, positioning strongly indicates that dot TV is the better brand, even if somewhat of an upstart.

•••
shaper said:
I think tv will ultimately prove to be more brandable than .net, despite dot nets first mover advantage.

It has the advantage of being a far more versatile word, language wise. People know what tv is in almost every culture, without having to have it explained to them. It makes sense as an extension to be advertised on television, much more so than dot net and works visually with an advertisement. I think more people will realize this as time goes on. The word itself works as a reinforcer when presented in that media.

Words with strong positioning value and memorable names are important in advertising, particularly in a competitive marketplace. The dot tv extension also has the obvious benefit of being associated with video content which is rising in terms of importance on the internet and in terms of the capability to deliver that content to a user.

While this realization hasn't been completely grasped by many, I am starting to see more dot tv domains advertised in this manner. I think the strongest benefits will be seen in commercial type domains, where specific products and associative keywords will emerge as winners. Dot tv offers the opportunity to do category branding in a way that other extensions, outside of the highly established dot com, do not offer.

A technique that I haven't seen used, which would be well suited for the extension, would be to create short spots that direct a viewer to a video catalog, which would also present the advertiser to make a more in depth presentation at lower cost. This would be particularly suitable to a category of items, such as might be normally presented in a catalog. It may also work well with items that require extensive education, but where interest can be generated by a quick lead in, such as products which are traditionally sold on infomercials. Most items work well when presented visually, and some which are particularly well suited are items that work well when being modeled, such as clothing and jewelry.

From a technological standpoint, there is more work being done to create video sites and presentation systems than in almost any other area of internet development. The success of youtube and other video sites ensured that platform specific tools would be a source of intense interest. As these tools emerge, the question of what sites they are best placed on is going to be asked and answered in reasonably short order. I think dot tv is going to prove to be an intuitive choice, whether the site is personal, social, or commercially oriented.

The direction of the internet can be divined by what technologies receive the most attention. Video technology is likely to become a significant platform for presentation, for the significant number of people who prefer their information in visual form.

Forward looking purchasers are going to see these trends and are going to position themselves accordingly. The merger of internet and television technologies is underway with the transition to digital broadcasting. The dot TV brand will have a familiar visual appeal as this transition occurs, and will likely have a considerable trust factor built in with forty years of indoctrination in the value of the extension. The networks themselves are laying the groundwork, with shows/channels appearing with names like True Tv, M tv, HgTv.

As shows of various forms appear to attract more specialized markets they will choose a name like Fashion.tv over a name such as Fashion.net. So yes, media players will be interested in the market, and are probably quietly positioning themselves as we speak. The increasing ubiquity of the video camera lowers the entry barriers for video sites considerably. This should not be underestimated in terms of its effect, and in its effect on brand reinforcement. When building a site of this nature, or uploading content to an existing site, people will increasingly look for dot tv for obvious reasons as a means of promoting their content. The availability of ever improving tools for managing and creating video content will ensure the extensions growth for a long period of time to come.

As the video transition occurs, a wide variety of extensions will be considered for sites. Dot com/net/org have built in trust factors, and dot com has an incredible first mover advantage. Dot nets advantage, although significant, is considerably weaker in this regard. When a person goes to a dot net site they are not sure what to expect in terms of content, when a person is searching for visual media, they will know what to expect when going to a dot tv site. Trust is a major factor in decisions, and dot TV carries a significant amount of trust simply by years of re-enforcement in the brand itself. If a user is looking for video based information from two unknown sites, they will choose the dot tv over the dot net or dot info, if they are presented on relatively equal terms.

The potentials of dot TV are far from being reached, and of the potential new extensions it is likely to remain an extremely valuable choice. From a marketing perspective, dot TV makes sense in terms of availability, positional branding and visual appeal. The friendly two letter extension of TV is also well suited to logo design and other factors which are considered by advertisers.

In summary, dot net has brandability, but as the tools and awareness of dot TV continue to impact the market, positioning strongly indicates that dot TV is the better brand, even if somewhat of an upstart.

Excellent post shaper. Rep added. :tu:

•••
yes sure, great explanation of your point of view

•••
My recent pickup:

אופנה dot TV

Fashion dot TV in Hebrew! :gl:

•••
•••
Pichichi said:
great keyword!

Thank you! :)

Today's pickup: แฟชั่น dot TV :gl:

•••
Bought a fantastic IDN.tv earlier today :D. Just absolutely could NOT resist.

•••
Fka200 said:
Bought a fantastic IDN.tv earlier today :D. Just absolutely could NOT resist.
I guess this means you aren't going to tell us (:

I am thinking about registering one today, might register it and put it up for auction starting @ reg fee just to test the market.

regards
tee1

•••
I have been holding a small number of IDN.tv for a couple years, and I think they're great. But I have not been buying new ones because they're going to be hard to sell for a long time to come I think. But I too think that this is one extension with some legs, and there's still top-tier keywords and GEOs out there, for IDN at least.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back