NameSilo

IDN poll

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

IDNs hot or not

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Hello Everyone,

What do you namepros members think ? Is IDN hot or not ?

* The buzz word in the domain market offlate has been IDNs.

* DCG (dotcomgod) has bought close to 5000 IDN domains.

* There are some big speculators with loads of IDNs.

* Dedicated forums for IDNers like IDNF

* Dedicated tools from IDNtools.net

* In the last 6 months a lot of IDNs have been picked in various languages.

*** Well if you think it is hot why are the namepros staff not up to having a dedicated sub forum for IDNs.

P.S. If there has been a similar post, moderators can move this one to junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
texasgamer said:
Im such a noob...
How do you guys get your keyboard to even type those funny characters?

Copy/paste. :gl:

•••
Ben said:
Copy/paste. :gl:

There is a thread on IDNF about how some of the big players Copy/Paste keys are breaking and fading in color , Hands, Finger, Arms hurting , tendonitis poping up :)

•••
This weeks DNjournal report

Every other week for the past 6 weeks has a good IDN sales

長崎県.com ("Nagasaki prefecture" in Japanese) changed hands for $2,300 at IDNF.

Arbeitsverträge.de (IDN) €2,450 = $3,153 at sedo
("working contracts" in German)

Kreissägen.de (IDN) €1,750 = $2,251 at sedo
("chainsaws" in German)

•••
I have a feeling that many of the votes for these being 'hot' have come from people who own them and are hoping that this will show us cynics that they really are worth investing in, thus raising the value of their domains.

There wont be many 'not' voters from people who own them!

•••
Rob said:
So... I, somehow belong to those minority :)

•••
I don't think this poll was meant as a way to sway cynics but just to gauge the overall feeling for IDNs in the mainstream. I do own IDNs and do believe the future will be very bright.

We in the IDN cult believe "if you reg it, they will come (traffic that is)." There is already some significant traffic from many IDNs even without the official release of IE7. Time will tell.

•••
Rob said:
I have a feeling that many of the votes for these being 'hot' have come from people who own them and are hoping that this will show us cynics that they really are worth investing in, thus raising the value of their domains.

There won't be many 'not' voters amongst those who have looked critically at the need for idn to truly globalize the internet and the need or want for a native to fully surf in his/her native language.

I am right in focusing on IDN's and you (the cynics in any case) are also right in not doing so but by completely avoiding or ignoring the IDN-development you're (I am still referring to cynics) missing an awesome possibility to enter a n almost completely fresh market. This is new ground, why not pot some plants ? Are you (the cynics) so poor or are the seeds you hold predetermined to be planted in exploited grounds ?

The cynics are wrong for just being cynical, they should be critical, accepting the fact that the possibility exists and understanding the reasoning behind it.
I surely understand the reason why one would not tread on the wobbly idn-bridge, but I for one would surely try to cross it at least once to see what's on the other side. Are the newborn naysayers explorers who have fallen from the bridge or are they to afraid to cross it even once?

Last edited:
•••
Its Sad

Its kinda Sad Some people Rather Be Right then Rich ! Bye time you guys stop debating why this and why that, And cant just look at the common sense Side that IDN.com is still Better then English.com TO a NON-ENGLISH speaker you wont be able to find any words Because Dave , Onley , DCG and All the other IDners are Vacuuming them Up , Hence you will have missed the boat again,

Sarcle said:
I have thought about this and wondered also. But I realize now that it's all some people can do. Aside for the fact that IDN is totally obvious. Not everyone can do translations, check overture, google scores, ppc bids and reg a decent name. These will be the ones that continuously argue already defeated points in an attempt to derail or hinder something they can't possibly understand.

Let's face it.. Doing all that is a hell of a lot more work than pulling "thisdomainsucks.com" out of your butt.

RubberDuck said:
Beaten paths are for beaten men!

•••
-db- said:
Nobody said we won't ever have more sub forums. We also have people who would like to see country codes like .US, .DE, .CO.UK, .IN (etc.) have a sub forum, but things don't happen overnight, and there must be the right combination of demand & timing, as well as taking into consideration the extra work and potential problems involved.

The thing is, I don't ccTLDs spawning new Forums left right and centre. All domaining Forums are going to have to adapt to IDN which in 10 years will account for around 50% of all registrations. Many ccTLDs will go virtually completely IDN in any case. You either evolve or die, it really is that simple.

Rob said:

That is an astute observation. However, it may be that you cynics should try and find out what this is about. It looks a bit odd to Westerners, but that is largely because we are effectively peering down the wrong end of the telescope. The whole system has been designed for the end user which is not by and large your US speculator. I believe it will be very intuitive to end users in the target market. The fact that we all need to do a little bit of homework to understand what is going on in no way detract from its viability.

The stage of the market we are currently at, is when were the instruction goes out to Clear the Tower. With the release of IE 7.0 this is about to explode on to the World Stage. Believe me people will be talking about this in bus queues, although perhaps not in Washington!

If you want to get a slice of the action you are going to have to get you finger out!

•••
WHAT I don't UNderstand about IDNERS and I believe in IDN, IS why are you telling me I know you don't care about me or anyone else here who is an IDNER, Why don't you just reg every name and make the money? WHY are you telling ME the equivalent of "Man there is a fortune buried in town park you better get a copy of the map or else you will be left out" I certainly don't believe any IDNER is being philanthropic.

Please don't say it is for discussion purposes to QUOTE MIKE MYERS from Saturday Night LIVE "Discuss amongst yourselves" you ahve a sub forum here now (good job RJ) A big one at DNF go IDN crazy woooooooooooooooo

•••
equity78 said:
WHAT I don't UNderstand about IDNERS and I believe in IDN, IS why are you telling me I know you don't care about me or anyone else here who is an IDNER, Why don't you just reg every name and make the money? WHY are you telling ME the equivalent of "Man there is a fortune buried in town park you better get a copy of the map or else you will be left out" I certainly don't believe any IDNER is being philanthropic.

Please don't say it is for discussion purposes to QUOTE MIKE MYERS from Saturday Night LIVE "Discuss amongst yourselves" you ahve a sub forum here now (good job RJ) A big one at DNF go IDN crazy woooooooooooooooo

We need a lively aftermarket and a broader base of idn-investors to spread the usage of idn and to confirm the investment potential to end-users.

Without competition there would be no prize.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for an intelligent answer GOOD LUCK with your IDN investments I am a believer but have enough domains and projects got to start developing.

•••
Bramiozo said:
equity78 said:

We need a lively aftermarket and a broader base of idn-investors to spread the usage of idn and to confirm the investment potential to end-users.

Without competition there would be no price.

Also true is the majority of IDN sales to date have been from reseller to reseller. End users aren't there yet buying names, so the IDN market benefits from having more resellers involved. Maybe it's working. Even I'm taking a closer look at IDN for-sale threads now.

I do understand that selling to a fellow reseller, one that speaks the same language as me, and uses the same currency as me, is a lot easier to sell to than someone from China or Russia. It's no wonder many IDN sellers are focusing on selling to their fellow resellers.

The truly premium names have already been snagged by the IDN pioneers, so anyone coming in new to the IDN market is either stuck registering the table scraps or buying the premium names from the current portfolio holders. I'm not saying the table scraps aren't still delicious, just floating a theory on why certain folks have no problem encouraging others to get into the same business they're in.

Most other profitable niches in the domain business are closely guarded secrets, and benefit from other domainers being ignorant to their existence. Not so with IDN's.

I have mixed thoughts about whether more IDN speculators would actually help in the long run goal of having these domains widely adapted by end users. The more speculators, the fewer good IDN's available for reg fee to the early adopting end users. If the demand and value of these names among speculators put the domains out of reach of the people who could actually benefit from them, what is the point?

Cheers,

RJ

•••
-RJ- said:
Also true is the majority of IDN sales to date have been from reseller to reseller. End users aren't there yet buying names, so the IDN market benefits from having more resellers involved. Maybe it's working. Even I'm taking a closer look at IDN for-sale threads now.

I do understand that selling to a fellow reseller, one that speaks the same language as me, and uses the same currency as me, is a lot easier to sell to than someone from China or Russia. It's no wonder many IDN sellers are focusing on selling to their fellow resellers.

The truly premium names have already been snagged by the IDN pioneers, so anyone coming in new to the IDN market is either stuck registering the table scraps or buying the premium names from the current portfolio holders. I'm not saying the table scraps aren't still delicious, just floating a theory on why certain folks have no problem encouraging others to get into the same business they're in.

Most other profitable niches in the domain business are closely guarded secrets, and benefit from other domainers being ignorant to their existence. Not so with IDN's.

I have mixed thoughts about whether more IDN speculators would actually help in the long run goal of having these domains widely adapted by end users. The more speculators, the fewer good IDN's available for reg fee to the early adopting end users. If the demand and value of these names among speculators put the domains out of reach of the people who could actually benefit from them, what is the point?

Cheers,

RJ

I can probably give a lot of insight into this as I have been substantially responsible for putting the message into the public Arena.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to grab a lot early on and arrived at the point where acquisition no longer seemed a priority. What did become a priority was finding a way of realising my investment. I came to the conclusion that a community was required in order to be able convince the PPC sites to become interested in this kind of domain. This was a problem that frankly other exotic forms of domains were not experiencing, but IDN require significant change to systems and corporate strategies. This now seems to have paid off and to the extent that traffic is now there we are generally able to monetize it. Although click through rates and Price per Click will continue to rise as Google established itself on the World Stage.

The one big miscalculation, I have made to date was the extent to which the market was dependant on IE 7.0 to bring this to fruition. I thought the level of migration to other browsers would be greater than it actually is. In the Far East and Arabic World IE 6.0 is ubiquitous. Whether one would describe it as popular is a mute point. Microsoft intransigence has been staggering, although they appear to have got the message now.

The one big surprise in all this is the extent that I have been able to improve my portfolio as a consequence of sharing information and the extent to which I now understand the challenges of monitizing those domains. My experience to date is that sharing information has been a Win-Win situation for all concerned.

•••
-RJ- said:

Cheers,

RJ

That's an interesting question, it depends on the mixture of domainers who own idn's I guess, if all domainers scoop all the names they can afford and are passively waiting for end-users to come by, then it all depends on the potential that corporations predíct and the risk they're willing to take.
I think a certain amount of idn'ers need to become end-users themselves, corporations will be the second in line once they see the idn's being a good investment, dancing around that activity are the resellers who behave more or less like stockbrokers.

Of course it's hard to deny the existence of idn's, it has been in development for over 5 years and the coming years will be crucial for it's success, keeping that a secret is like trying to cover up the back-end of vida guerra, however if we could have covered it up to keep it for ourselves we probably would have (just like the....) .

In the past year there's been some overinflation with the (jumpstarted) initialisation of the idn-reseller market, over the last months deflation occurred with the absence of end-user deployment and the last months of this year I think we will see an inflation with the ending of the ICANN-testbed to be followed by a further solid inflation (dname) or a steep fall (idn's in the root).

•••
There are 26 citys in Tokyo , i was snatching up Tokyo city Real Estate terms and could only bag 19 of them because the rest had been purchased By End Users " Real Estate Comp. " But if you get down and start digging checking Whois's and reading you will see there are many end users buying and using IDN's

•••
It has been a while since I reported a sale of an IDN in this thread,

公司.com (IDN) ("company" in Chinese) sold for $10,750

When we look back at this poll after a few year we will see the huge potential lost by the "sky is falling" kinda people

•••
to be honest:
i dont see any values of IDN domains in the near future. I voted "not"

•••
abcde said:
to be honest:
i dont see any values of IDN domains in the near future. I voted "not"
Varying opinions are always welcome. Would you care to share your reasons for this view?

•••
I didn't vote, probably because if this is a revolution, I am one of the ring leaders. Trail has gone a bit cold because M$ are struggling to get their act together, but the outcome is inevitable. The lack of direct navigation in local languages means that the "recognise and recall" factor isn't there for Asian people. The Japanese just don't do direct navigation. Basically the address bar in the IE6 is of no use to them whatsoever.

•••
Pulled this thread back to see the present trend in IDN's...

•••
Vimal said:
Pulled this thread back to see the present trend in IDN's...

IDNs are better than sliced bread.

TRAFFIC IS SOOOO MUCH HIGHER THAN Mid 2006! It's UNBELIEVABLE the evolution--funny thing is, according to my stats, 80% are using IE6 (not IDN compatible), 5% IE7, 15% Firefox 1.5+

Some of my sites have 30% direct navigation, which is great. Things are stirring up.

Imagine when IE7 becomes the standard! I reg'd another 50 or so IDNs in the last 24 hours alone. Still looking for more.

•••
Don't see any value in them - stay well away. :kickass:

•••
wot said:
Don't see any value in them - stay well away. :kickass:

If you don't see any value, can you pass over those .biz you reg'd a couple days ago? PRETTY PLEASE :loveyou:

•••
Last year at this time, I just started parking them and was seeing less than $10/month. Now on a good day, I can see several times that amount in a single day. AND I'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back