Domain Empire

IDN poll

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

IDNs hot or not

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Hello Everyone,

What do you namepros members think ? Is IDN hot or not ?

* The buzz word in the domain market offlate has been IDNs.

* DCG (dotcomgod) has bought close to 5000 IDN domains.

* There are some big speculators with loads of IDNs.

* Dedicated forums for IDNers like IDNF

* Dedicated tools from IDNtools.net

* In the last 6 months a lot of IDNs have been picked in various languages.

*** Well if you think it is hot why are the namepros staff not up to having a dedicated sub forum for IDNs.

P.S. If there has been a similar post, moderators can move this one to junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Adjusting to the international market is not a simple task.
There are actual many webmasters who would be timid about having tons of nonEnglish based traffic on their site. Some don't mind.

Then there's a matter of all the Windows computers that aren't yet internationally friendly & flood of posts saying all I see is boxes.

I'm sure that the owners here are evaluation if they want to implement it or not.

I mean there is a situation where someone's site added an IDN section & it looks terrible in all browsers...

•••
The .com is at a critical level so a lot of people will get Idn, .biz, .info etc domains

Regards
Adrian

•••
I voted hot too...I lately got some IDNs.

Aboujouj

•••
I will be happy to see more about IDN's arrive here on Namepro's.

I voted hot but then as I have a lot of them you could say that I would do ! :)

David

•••
Definately HOT !!!

Get in now while you can, before all the good ones are snapped up. The names you can still find now won't be available for much longer - especially with the release of IE7.

Alex

•••
Hot, hot, hot!

I have about 20, wish I got more earlier on.

•••
Do any decent size/traffic sites use an IDN yet?

•••
Burberry Japan using it's IDN to redirect Japanese users to the Burberry site was the most prominent example that I knew of up to a couple of months ago but I am sure there are more by now and probably lots that I don't know about too.

The real explosion in usage will come once IE7 arrives and people in those countries catch onto the fact that they can start to use their own languages in the browser and in website names. Then we will see the uptake in usage of IDN names for websites (and of course demand for IDN domain names for those sites) vastly increase.

David

•••
•••
It is always too early to give a negative view on something new coming to the world. If you have a farther view of this industry, you should educate yourself on IDNs before it comes and changes the looking of the internet.

•••
•••
duskdawn said:
It is always too early to give a negative view on something new coming to the world. If you have a farther view of this industry, you should educate yourself on IDNs before it comes and changes the looking of the internet.

Well said !!

Lets look it this way,

weather.com in english is worth a lot for english speaking people.(not many can afford to buy it)

weather.com in other languages still available at a resonable price, this is the impact of IDNs.

I am sure a japanese would love to go and see the weather in a japanese weather.com

•••
fd99392 said:
*** Well if you think it is hot why are the namepros staff not up to having a dedicated sub forum for IDNs.

Nobody said we won't ever have more sub forums. We also have people who would like to see country codes like .US, .DE, .CO.UK, .IN (etc.) have a sub forum, but things don't happen overnight, and there must be the right combination of demand & timing, as well as taking into consideration the extra work and potential problems involved.

•••
-db- said:
Nobody said we won't ever have more sub forums. We also have people who would like to see country codes like .US, .DE, .CO.UK, .IN (etc.) have a sub forum, but things don't happen overnight, and there must be the right combination of demand & timing, as well as taking into consideration the extra work and potential problems involved.

I never said you won't, I know it wont happen overnight, I am sure you have planned it the right way. Just wanted to put a poll and see how the market potential and the np members think.

•••
davybuk said:
The real explosion in usage will come once IE7 arrives
But do you really think it will be an explosion? People's habits change slowly, and having not been able to use native characters for so many years, how long will it take for them to realise that you can? I think it will take a while, personally. IDN investment is for the long term to see great returns in my opinion.

•••
For expired IDN domains check this site. Also there will find a IDN convertor and a catalog with IDN domains expired.

Regards
Adrian

•••
They are hot, but I am still busy looking for not so good names in .com :D

•••
I think the uptake of IDNs will be fairly quick. There is plenty of website content in foreign languages and when IDNs become easy to use for the public (with IE7) many sites will start using them. They will probably keep their ASCII domains for a while, until people get used to IDNs. They need to realize that if they don't look ahead and reserve their IDNs there won't be any left when they are ready. Once real money is being made and the 'big boys' re-focus their attention every IDN with a pulse will be registered.

Of course I'm biased as well. :)

•••
I voted "hot" even though they're lukewarm right now, but by year's end they'll be too hot to handle.

Best get in right now...

•••
The really haven't taken off yet. Who knows what the future holds though.

•••
chimaera said:
But do you really think it will be an explosion? People's habits change slowly, and having not been able to use native characters for so many years, how long will it take for them to realise that you can? I think it will take a while, personally. IDN investment is for the long term to see great returns in my opinion.

Um... yeah it's going to be an explosion.

Japanese Overture Results.

1084973 価格 com
82507 比較 com
44023 一休 com
14782 ヨドバシ com
11230 エッチ 動画 com
10669 国内線 com

Someone's language is not a habit. They are being forced to use english. These results prove they are trying to type these in, by large numbers I might add. Yes, It's going to be a revolution.

•••
IDNs have been performing consistenly well, DNjournal report

Last weeks report

"A pair of Arabic IDN domains sold at IDNF where معلومات.com ("information" in Arabic) brought £2,000 ($3,53 and المعلومات.com ("the information" in Arabic) added £1,500 ($2,654)."

"Germany's .de racked up four. Two of those .de's were IDNs."

"IDN's continue to pop on this chart with regularity. #10 Nähen.de ("sewing" in German) at $2,422 and #13 Bahnhöfe.de ("train stations" in German) at $1,757, did the honors this time out."

Keep an eye on the sales of IDNs next week.

•••
A lot of those IDNs making big sales have been reg'ed just this year; it's amazing how quicky things are moving.

•••
chimaera said:

It will not be an explosion if people are not similtaneously made aware of IDN's through enduser's, I think we need to break that link by actively pursuing development ourselves. It's clearcut that good IDN's have a huge SEO advantage, if that word get's out and if it can be demonstrated by 1 or 2 succesfull implementations then the dance can begin.

It's coupled of course, surfer popularity <-> enduser popularity .

I had the idea a few months ago of combining forces to promote 1 single IDN, tv's ads and all, we need 1 snowball to create an avalanche, of course that remains a good idea but at the time there was little interest to do so.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back