NameSilo

IDN poll

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

IDNs hot or not

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Hello Everyone,

What do you namepros members think ? Is IDN hot or not ?

* The buzz word in the domain market offlate has been IDNs.

* DCG (dotcomgod) has bought close to 5000 IDN domains.

* There are some big speculators with loads of IDNs.

* Dedicated forums for IDNers like IDNF

* Dedicated tools from IDNtools.net

* In the last 6 months a lot of IDNs have been picked in various languages.

*** Well if you think it is hot why are the namepros staff not up to having a dedicated sub forum for IDNs.

P.S. If there has been a similar post, moderators can move this one to junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Most people use i-nav plugins if they want to browse or send emails etc via idns. Ok when IE7 comes things will be easier but I-Nav is huge already as a plugin in any browser or email client.

•••
I agree that IDNs are still lukewarm at the moment, but there is great potential for them.

How many non-English speakers are there who use the internet all over the world ?? Wouldn't it be easier for them to search and use the internet in their own native language rather than English ??

I personally believe that IDNs are the future. Though the main domain markey will probably still be English / Latin based domains, the IDN market will definately be a huge one in its own right.

Alex

•••
I've picked up some IDN in the last few days and look forward to getting some more. IDNs are really starting to get hot and pick up!

•••
The problem I have with buying IDNs is knowing for absolutely sure that they translation is correct! I guess you can rely on Google and Overture results, but I have no clue if a two chinese characters are the entire word, part of it, or something else!

•••
chimaera said:
The problem I have with buying IDNs is knowing for absolutely sure that they translation is correct! I guess you can rely on Google and Overture results, but I have no clue if a two chinese characters are the entire word, part of it, or something else!

Getting the proper translation for words is definitely the challenge with IDNs. But there are many tools like Google, local search engines, Ovt, dictionaries, Ovt bid tools, or even native speakers, that make this task much more managable. After some time searching I think most people get a feel for what number of Google results constitutes a good name or what Ovt counts are 'good'.

If it was easy and the money was already there then there would be nothing left. Right now my IDNs make alot more money than my ASCII names - and 95% of internet users can't even use them!

•••
The beauty of IDNs is there are close to 120 languages (a big population using them) and a lot of generic terms in these languages, and still plenty of them waiting to be picked. Pick them when the best ones are still available. I have seen thousands of names being picked in the last couple of months.

自動車 趣味 automobile hobby has close to 2.5 million overtures.

Have a look !!

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/?mkt=jp

I need to probably spend couple of millions to get a name with such high overture rate in english.

Even a word like "news" has just 1.1 million overtures.

Last edited:
•••
chimaera said:

If you get your feet wet, you will eventually start to spot the good stuff in most any language.
Sure there will be mistakes made, but the upside potential for the good domains you'll register will be of tremendous proportions.

•••
Okay, maybe this needs a new thread ... but is anyone regging IDN extensions?
http://www.i-dns.net/

If native characters are going to take off like 自動車 趣味.com, why not 自動車 趣味.動車 (I realise that isn't .com, but you get the idea).

I checked a few, and apparent 'gems' as ком.ком are available ...

•••
Hey guys no fair digging up
The High Overture IDN Domains I own
自動車趣味.com

That was the advantage of a few of us trying to tell everyone that IDN Domains are valuable & everyone kept telling us they were just worth Reg Fee.

I'm already hitting over low XX,XXX in profits by selling less than 20 IDN Domains & I got about 320 more even better than what was sold....

fd99392 said:
The beauty of IDNs is there are close to 120 languages (a big population using them) and a lot of generic terms in these languages, and still plenty of them waiting to be picked. Pick them when the best ones are still available. I have seen thousands of names being picked in the last couple of months.

自動車 趣味 automobile hobby has close to 2.5 million overtures.

Have a look !!

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/?mkt=jp

I need to probably spend couple of millions to get a name with such high overture rate in english.

Even a word like "news" has just 1.1 million overtures.

•••
Here's some IDN sales I've seen:
  • Städtereisen.de - $60168,
  • übersetzer.de - $23672,
  • défiscalisation.com - $17699,
  • südtirol.info - $10300,
  • 東京.net - $10000,
  • schönheitsoperationen.de - $6023,
  • Geschirrspüler.de - $5114,
  • fitnessgeräte.de - $4500,
  • معلومات.com - $3538,
  • imobiliárias.com - $3000,
  • Pädagogik.de - $2740,
  • المعلومات.com - $2654,
  • 眎山岢.com - $2500,
  • nähen.de - $2422,
  • blockhäuser.biz - $2406,
  • flohmärkte.de - $2380,
  • holzhäuser.biz - $1768,
  • bahnhöfe.de - $1757,
  • 大分県.com - $1380,
  • städtereisen.biz - $1311,
  • アニメ.tv - $1200.

•••
•••
Sarcle.com said:
That's only part of the story.

Idn Sales

Nice site. One of my sales is on there, but the price is incorrect. :-/

•••
Changed it, thanks for the assistance :) .

•••
This week there was a lot of news on DNjournal about IDNs

The picture continues to brighten for International Domain Names. IDNs were the topic of a lot of favorable discussion at the Domain Roundtable Conference in Seattle last week (details can be found in our conference wrap up report slated for publication on our home page Thursday night (April 27). On the IDN sales front, Gary Males acquired a group of 8 Japanese Prefecture domains for $15,000 in a private transaction after hooking up with the seller at IDNF. Males now owns 11 of the 47 Japanese Prefectures (a prefecture is a geographical district, similar to a county or state in America).

The new acquisitions for Males (at an average cost of $1,875 each) were 香川県.com (Kagawa Prefecture), 石川県.com (Ishikawa Prefecture), 滋賀県.com (Shiga Prefecture), 愛媛県.com (Ehime Prefecture), 岩手県.com (Iwate Prefecture), 山口県.com (Yamaguchi Prefecture), 富山県.com (Toyama Prefecture) and 奈良県.com (Nara Prefecture). You'll also find IDN sales in both our Global Contenders and Country Codes sections below.

Wörterbuch.info (IDN)
("dictionary" in German) €1,900 = $2,345

There was a lot variety through the rest of the chart with 9 different countries being represented. We also saw our first IDN .tv sale with アニメ.tv ("anime" in Japanese) selling for $1,200 at the IDNPros.com forum.

Congrats fellow IDNers !!

•••
Personally

I've been using IDN as marketing /branding opportunities for firms operating with mainly English speaking customers.

For example... how easily could a company brand .sc as south carolina, .md as maryland, .in as the word in (join.in) and so on? This is how I approach IDN, with marketability and stickiness factor towards english speaking companies.

I realize there could be great potentail on the foreign language side of the ball, but I haven't (and probably won't) go this road as it's difficult enough predicting what domains will be valuable in my OWN language...

My IDN thus far are:

annapolis.md
cheapcomputers.cc
getloans.us
myrtle-beach.sc

Just my two cents... THANKS

•••
trigatch4 said:
I've been using IDN as marketing /branding opportunities for firms operating with mainly English speaking customers.

For example... how easily could a company brand .sc as south carolina, .md as maryland, .in as the word in (join.in) and so on? This is how I approach IDN, with marketability and stickiness factor towards english speaking companies.

I realize there could be great potentail on the foreign language side of the ball, but I haven't (and probably won't) go this road as it's difficult enough predicting what domains will be valuable in my OWN language...

My IDN thus far are:

annapolis.md
cheapcomputers.cc
getloans.us
myrtle-beach.sc

These aren't IDNs, they're ccTLDs. IDNs contain non-english characters within the domain, for example: "παρέα.com". :guilty:

•••
trigatch4 said:

My IDN thus far are:

annapolis.md
cheapcomputers.cc
getloans.us
myrtle-beach.sc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_names

•••
whoops

now don't i feel like a dumba$$

:red:

•••
IDNs are becoming very regular on DNJournal...

Another IDN, 髪.com (kanji for "hair" in both Japanese and Chinese), sold for $6,000

•••
fd99392 said:
IDNs are becoming very regular on DNJournal...

Another IDN, 髪.com (kanji for "hair" in both Japanese and Chinese), sold for $6,000

Yeah, that was sold by Olney. :gn:

I respect Olney for selling high calibre names like this early in the game. I suspect he has plenty of better names too.

Last edited:
•••
Post edited ...

Last edited:
•••
上海房产.com (Shanghai Real Estate) just sold for $2k, cheap IMO.

•••
I LOVE IDN's

Ben said:
上海房产.com (Shanghai Real Estate) just sold for $2k, cheap IMO.

Way to Cheap , Almost make me :'( but HomeImprovement.com in Chinese just Sold For 12k , Very popular term in Chinea

•••
Im such a noob...
How do you guys get your keyboard to even type those funny characters?

•••
texasgamer said:
Im such a noob...
How do you guys get your keyboard to even type those funny characters?

Check out www.IDNebook.com for a Tutorial how to Buy One of these Names.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back