Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
I wonder why the parking revenue has declined for so many people here
for me its only 30% of what it was 2 years ago
- decline 70% -

in google adwords - those campaigns have become very expensive in the same time frame - so I would expect the revenue to rise - but it declines

is the true for you too?
what do you think may be the reason?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It happen this way:

Parking was a party, NP was a happening place, all smiles.

Some people got burned at the party and complained big time. (advertisers)

People that pay the initial money of any business comes first.

Rules were changed because of the backlash

Quality Scores came into play.

Any time the industry that charges $ for clicks wanted to show they were tough on fraud, the Quality Scores were adjusted. (one way street)

So there was pre-quality score/serious use of them and post.

In other words a sprouting industry vs a mature one where margins are snipped..

•••
yeah @johname

click fraud, along with "arbitrage" and don't forget "tasting" and "front running", all took chunks of that pie, which is much smaller now.

additionally, the downfall of Yahoo and the rise of Goog, was instrumental for controlling ppc rev.

with advertisers moving to Goog from Yahoo, ppc's changed feeds as well, so the leverage changed.

now they (Goog) could dictate payouts

but parking is not dead, cuz every so often, a new player offers another service.

imo...

•••
I agree with Biggie and Johname. I think that the present looks grim because in the past we were overpaid.
Also, advertisers now have more tools to fine-tune their campaigns and can spend less.

Surprisingly parking revenue has remained more or less steady for us, even though the portfolio has evolved a lot (more ccTLDs, more brandables not prone to type-in).

There is also another important factor, possibly more decisive than Adblock (not everybody uses it): the browser and the way 'autocomplete' works.
Whereas in the past, typing a keyword or expression in the URL bar would be resolved as <keywords unspaced> dotcom;
now the browser is stealing the traffic.
I don't use Chrome but if you type stuff in the URL bar what happens ? Aren't you redirected to Google search ? Same behavior going on with other browsers.

Google offers a 'free' browser for a very good reason: control traffic. He who controls navigation, controls the Internet. This, combined with the ubiquity of Google search, provides them with extensive control of your navigational experience.
They also have 'free' public DNS resolvers for data mining purposes...

•••
Easy answer, Google searches and Adsense :)

•••
I really feel parking has been to slow to evolve, I really feel parking companies should show more innovation like offer more forms of monetization like pay per call .

•••
Innovation is not something that parking companies can control. All parking companies that use Google's feeds (99% of parking companies) are bound by Google's rules, and Google micromanages/controls every aspect of it, including what is allowed to be displayed on parked pages. With each contract renewal, Google becomes more strict and imposing.

Not that long ago, Google made it so that all parking companies receive exactly the same revenue share percentage. That used to be negotiable and the bigger parking companies were able to earn more, thus passing on those higher earnings to their customers. Now all parking companies are on an even playing field.

Google knows domain parking is dying and they don't care about it. They're just collecting their checks until it dries up.

Why do you never hear about this? Because the parking companies are legally bound, by contracts that Google requires of them, to not discuss these things. Google owns domain parking and they'll do whatever they please. The end.

•••
doesn't matter how stupid the visitor is / was
if he/she clicks on an add

the payout should be same as if a
professor visited the page
right?
Wrong. Advertisers (and thus Google) only care about conversions, not clicks. When those clicks don't convert, they become less valuable to advertisers. When they become less valuable to advertisers, the advertisers pay less per click for them, and then you earn less.

•••
•••
Wrong. Advertisers (and thus Google) only care about conversions, not clicks. When those clicks don't convert, they become less valuable to advertisers. When they become less valuable to advertisers, the advertisers pay less per click for them, and then you earn less.

sorry but wrong:

1) google doesn't care about conversions - they care about their own max profit per view
2) an uneducated visitor ( non savvy internet user ) doesn't convert lower then a professor
3) advertisers pay more when competition forces them to do
not when they earn more

Last edited:
•••
sorry but wrong:

1) google doesn't care about conversions - they care about their own max profit per view
2) an uneducated visitor doesn't convert lower then a professor
not when they earn more

can you analyse (1) a bit more?

thanks

•••
•••
and by the way
the traffic from parked pages
can be a great source of traffic for an advertiser

•••
that may be true

I think I remember a check on/off in google adwords
where you ca define if you want to allow traffic from parked pages

can somebody confirm ?

Confirmed. You can opt out of having your ads on parking sites.

This ^^^ (the advertiser part. Google cares about clicks)

When clicks on a site don't convert for advertisers tracking conversions, Google lowers bid costs, to encourage them to continue advertising there.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2604607?hl=en

Smart pricing affects the publishers entire account. If you run a site with Adwords and it gets smart priced, all your sites are affected. I don't know exactly how smart pricing is applied to parking sites - at the provider account or individual sub account level - but I'm sure it comes into play somehow.

and by the way
the traffic from parked pages
can be a great source of traffic for an advertiser

It can be a source of traffic, but if the traffic doesn't convert its wasted budget. High spend advertisers don't waste budget. When the big fish leave the pool, you have fewer and smaller players. It gets less competitive, bids go down, the ad pool can become less targeted.

And as mentioned by others, don't rule out growing use of ad blockers.

Last edited:
•••
talked to bodis about adblockers.. . at first it sounded like they were paying to get whitelisted on them.. but in the end it turned out to be them getting round it using special more generic java etc templates..

they said these templates take care of nearly all ad blockers around.. but how many people actually do use blockers (% or such) is not quite clear to anyone.

I am of the immpression that if a company like bodis even bothers to go extra way to create templates that defy blockers, well.. I suppose some could argue they are widespread and enough of a problem.

happy parking.
cheers

Last edited:
•••
sorry but wrong:

2) an uneducated visitor ( non savvy internet user ) doesn't convert lower then a professor
not when they earn more
Wrong again.

Thankfully, someone intelligent has already responded to you: read enlytend's post.

•••
what do you think may be the reason?
Only domainers seem to type directly into the address bar these days, all the other sheep tend to go to google for a search. The internet has changed

•••
Wrong again.

Thankfully, someone intelligent has already responded to you: read enlytend's post.

you'd better spend some of your own money with adwords
before you believe in promotion messages

if there is no other advertiser, they may eventually lower the bids
to keep him spending money

If Google determines that your ads are not likely to perform as well on the Google Network page as on Google search, the AdWords system may reduce the maximum CPC bid for that site.

may reduce !== reduce

after reading this the ad spending party feels secure and save to spend
= promotional message

Last edited:
•••
Only domainers seem to type directly into the address bar these days, all the other sheep tend to go to google for a search. The internet has changed

then there are much more domainers out there the we may think

•••
so here I have a "tpe In" domain:

upload_2016-9-11_10-26-34.png

more or less no effects in terms of "domainer" "type in "as its a very short domain of general interest to unwealthy people.

when there is no or little traffic I try other ways to monetise it

what I do not understand is the high fluctuation of click prices
-if it wwould be because of google not showing the high paing advertisers adds
it would never recover-

upload_2016-9-11_10-30-3.png

what do you think about this theory:
maybe 2 click landers
influence the type of ad topics shown

- traffic is 60% from germany -

Last edited:
•••
here is another screenshot of 2015

upload_2016-9-11_10-39-46.png

huge discrepancies in CPC
but in 2015 there were no 1 cent clicks
and not so frequently cent clicks

upload_2016-9-11_10-41-28.png

•••
if you compare my click prices from 2015 with the one from 2016
you understand what I mean when I say
"decline in parking income"

traffic is more or less same
clickthrough is more or less same

so neither adblockers
nor less direct type in
is causing that decline

and that s just from last year to today

no advertisers would deactivate that domain as source of traffic
because even if he wasted that money
he would not notice as its such a little such a small amount

further more the traffic is highly targeted and very good for that topic

Last edited:
•••
this is my last test on another parking platform:
- bodis -
august / sept 2016

I did not have enough patience to wait for better results here:

upload_2016-9-11_11-9-9.png

Last edited:
•••
now here is what above could do for this domain:
stats from last 12 month as of 9/2016

upload_2016-9-11_11-20-35.png

upload_2016-9-11_11-19-34.png

upload_2016-9-11_11-17-51.png

upload_2016-9-11_11-18-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-11_11-17-12.png
    upload_2016-9-11_11-17-12.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 78
•••
upload_2016-9-11_11-22-31.png

upload_2016-9-11_11-22-58.png

now thats th whole picture of last 12 month
for that domain

ad you an see why I stick with parkingcrew
but here the income has become drwafted

maximer at above gives me about 1 cent per visitor
and parkingcrew is close to that by now

Last edited:
•••
that is a detailed view into 1 very good type in domain with german traffic
if parking income would be stable as an industrie factor
then there could not have been such a decline

the visitors are real people potential buyers of used furnitures

so I can't see how to monetise it differently

that is just a detailed example of one parked domain
that I own for a few years and has been parked
from day 1 of its original registration
pure type in

in order to dig a lillte deeper into the matter
and to avoid conspiracy

maybe if you look at your stats
a little deeper
we can find a solution

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back