IT.COM

I won a GoDaddy Auction? ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have a quick question about godaddy expired domain auctions.

I placed a bid on a name and won the auction. I did a quick whois check and see that the name doesn't expire until 2013. I assume the previous owner renewed and I'm out of luck. I haven't paid godaddy yet and I'd rather note pay for a name that I will not ultimately get.

Any thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The first date you see in Whois always shows the added year. Scroll down and check the date by the bottom. You can also type the domain in your search bar and the parking page will say expired if its not renewed.

•••
If you pay and don't actually get it GoDaddy will refund you promptly.

•••
Yea.. whois expiration is 1/23/13. I think I'm beat. But I'm still going to pay godaddy just to wait for a refund because Karma is a bitch..

•••
1. You have to pay for the domain name, otherwise you will lose your auction membership
2. for GoDaddy expiring domain name, expires date is different between whois.internic.net and whois.godaddy.com, whois.godaddy.com is the actual one.

•••
Yea.. whois expiration is 1/23/13. I think I'm beat. But I'm still going to pay godaddy just to wait for a refund because Karma is a bitch..

expired auction domains always have +1 year to expiry.
thats the way it works - in simple words godaddy automatically renews expired domains before they go to auction. if domain is not sold they will get a refund from the registry and drop the name afterwards.
if sold - well, you pay for the renewal as a buyer (plus your winning bid).
so this does not have anything to do with the previous owner, its highly unlikely (unless its a really strong name and attracted high bids) that he renewed the name while it was auctioning. dont worry chances you'll get it :)

•••
If it is a closeout GD auction you have to wait a few days until it lands into your account, usually between 4 - 7 days.

•••
If it is a closeout GD auction you have to wait a few days until it lands into your account, usually between 4 - 7 days.

Makes sense. Wait & if no action, then mail to support. I have always had proper response from GD

•••
I know that this is an old thread but something very similar to this just happened to me, but when I checked the Whois it said this:

"NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration."

So I'm not worried about not receiving my domain. I should get it in a couple of days.

•••
I know that this is an old thread but something very similar to this just happened to me, but when I checked the Whois it said this:

"NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration."

So I'm not worried about not receiving my domain. I should get it in a couple of days.
It takes about a week for the domain to hit your account after you win. Godaddy will notify you if it's renewed.

•••
If it was a closeout auction does the previous owner even get the option to renew it?

•••
If it was a closeout auction does the previous owner even get the option to renew it?

Yes.

It has happened to me.

•••
•••

They get the option to renew it but I have been lucky thus far that all closeouts I have done I have received. What have you got to lose anyway?

And yes, the date in the status bar tells you when you should get it, hopefully sometimes tonight :)

•••
They get the option to renew it but I have been lucky thus far that all closeouts I have done I have received. What have you got to lose anyway?

And yes, the date in the status bar tells you when you should get it, hopefully sometimes tonight :)

Ok thanks that makes me feel confident that I will receive it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back