NameSilo

I was so amped and now, the silence...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Futurewizard

Established Member
Impact
So, I own about 300 or so domains. I've made a thorough Google Sheet which pulls in data using APIs and other sources. (If anybody wants the list, I can provide a basic CSV/TXT file)

Some of them are great and are appraised quite higher than my BIN/floor prices. I made the mistake of grabbing 75 or so .net addresses.

Either way, they are all just sitting on Sedo/Flippa/Dan/TPP with plenty of offer views and hits, and no offers. I've lowered my prices. my .net addresses are pretty much a blanket 25-35$ floor with a 75-150$ BIN.

I know this takes a while, but I feel like I'm missing something. I've paid for Flippa auctions but I haven't paid for any other services yet. I've considered a broker, but I would likely need a XX,XXX - XXX,XXX domain to make it worth their time.

My questions (feel free to answer just 1 or 2)
  • Leave them parked on Sedo's Full Landing? (rather than Ads, Sales Crush, etc)

• Sedo is my favorite backend, but is Dan/Voodoo/Etc better for visibility? I'm counting mostly on 'walk in' or 'type in' traffic

• I've started creating landing pages for a few of these. This is a lot of effort (even with Google Domains' free sites). Is the effort worth it? Would 'MowCheap.com' be more likely to sell on a page with relevant ads, a landing, or is Sedo Parking enough? (ok that was like 2 questions, sorry)

• If I have a 300 budget to spend with... 3-5 domains... Where would that money best be spent? I'm considering DNAcademy as I really love his style of business.

• Am I stuck walking up hill until I make some outbound/cold call/emails? Are there templates/scripts?

I want to keep my expectations realistic and I realize this is not a quick process - it requires patience. I'm ready to spend extra money, but I budget to buy about 300 domains (which I did). I'd say 60% of them are below appraisal and just need to be noticed.

Thanks so much, and I'm reading several guides (and I bought a Udemy course). So, apologies if my questions overlap other threads.

Thanks for your time and happy hump day! Here's a peaceful otter if you took the time to read all of this! If not, enjoy it anyways!

iu

P.S. here's a random sampling of 5 urls, nothing special - just 5
  1. Immersives.co.uk (Immersive art/parks/museums are getting big - see MeowWolf.com)
  2. FurZap.com
  3. 2me4.com (decent backlinks, lots of parking traffic)
  4. FitATX.com (Austin Texas - common abbrev)
  5. 4tel.net (lots of backlinks)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
@Samer i used to think the same then this happend to me last month listed a name there and forgot about it sold it on namepros a week after the sale i get a buyer for 3.5k lol made me realize to never underestimate a marketplace missed out on 3.1k

•••
@Samer i used to think the same then this happend to me last month listed a name there and forgot about it sold it on namepros a week after the sale i get a buyer for 3.5k lol made me realize to never underestimate a marketplace missed out on 3.1k
ahh must be why their customer support team feels so rude and entitled. NOT a FLIPPA fan!

Last edited:
•••
You paid for Flippa auctions!!! 🤔 🧐

I wouldnt use Flippa, if they paid me.
You're right. I did! Shoot

edit: and I regret it. (good work btw)

Last edited:
•••
One other observation I can say from experience. A good or great domain name will get type in traffic and random marketplace hits without you doing a thing.

•••
  • I've started creating landing pages for a few of these. This is a lot of effort (even with Google Domains' free sites). Is the effort worth it? Would 'MowCheap.com' be more likely to sell on a page with relevant ads, a landing, or is Sedo Parking enough? (ok that was like 2 questions, sorry)
If you are doing that, why not get a proper server you can roll out simple sites on for your domains at linode or vultr and just make a 1 page static html page with a $1 twilio number and make it a local lawn mowing company.

You could sell the leads while the domain gets indexed over time. It won't take long to have built real value -- making it worth 18-24x months revenue + the domain name value.

Getting pennies per click from sedo landers and never getting real pages indexed doesn't seem too tasty nor build real value.

•••
The real simplistic answer is that the name sells itself or it does not (outbound has not resulted in many sales in my case).

It takes the perfect alignment of someone (business owner, tech department, etc) thinking about what the ideal name (or upgrade name) for their business would be. Then upon typing that name in, they see it is owned by someone else...if you have a reasonable (in their eyes) price listed, they will pull the trigger. If you have the 'make offer' link available, they will use it...if the name is truly ideal for their needs.

My names (90% com with the rest being tv, org and a sprinkling of others--no net) are listed everywhere with a 'make offer' link activated (including sedo). Although I get lots of 'broker' inquiries from daddy and after, none have resulted in a sale through them (in several cases, months and years later, the potential buyer ends up typing in the name and making an offer to me directly). In fact, I've never had a single 'follow up' contact by a broker from either one of those venues...although I've names listed at sedo since about 06 there has never been one lead generated from parking there. Others have had success with them but I have not.

The reality is wherever you point a domain that is likely where offers will originate. Whether you use a white label option or use a marketplace is the decision you have to make. My experience has been very positive with Epik...with a quick email to customer service I've had them help with closing a deal. I've NEVER gotten a response from brokers at the other venues I mentioned above when questioning how the 'lead' is proceeding...never.

One thing I have learned is that low pricing a domain can result in a name selling for far less that it is worth. It took me many years to abandon setting pricing on all my domains to go with the 'make offer' model. The only buy now pricing I have in place are on clearly lower value domains. Had I not done that, it is likely I would not be investing in domains today as the 'price everything' model was not financially sustaining.
This is very helpful. So, should I try removing prices and setting the low offer at 100 or so to prevent spam? Right now they're individually priced with specific offer minimums. I don't want to over price or under price, this could help with that!

•••
•••
My preferences:
1. Name itself should be powerful enough.
2. Only inbound.
3. Only Dan landers, no other marketplace. Or you can do Dan+ Afternic Fast Transfer- this combo is more than enough. Cut all others.

•••
The problem is that you think there are some cool ways or techniques to sell any domain, and it's not the case, there is none.
Domain should be as good as possible in the first place (short, punchy, meaningful and to the point). People should like it and should think about this name, typing it in URL, looking for it. Then it simply doesn't matter what landing page you sell this domain with - Epik, DAN, Sedo. These platforms are competing for you, not for your customer. It's only a matter of design, statistics and ease of use - again, for you. It has nothing to do with your end client.
And please, stick with .com only, disregard any other tld, no matter how much you think you found some ''super cool'' word in another extension.
Also don't go for many backlinks but pointless name. Links - are SEO stuff, SEOs will never pay a 1000 euro for a domain name. If the name is good, you can develop links, ok fine, but these should never be a decisive factor.
Talk about a reality check! Yea, you're right on a lot of that, and yes, I do think there are cool ways to sell stinker domains. I'd say about 40% of this is an experiment and a way to learn SEO/Analytics and 60% money. Maybe 85% money, actually. Maybe 99%.
I am, however, developing some of the really bad domains either to make them somewhat worth buying, or to 'put makeup on a pig'. It may be a waste, but it's a learning experience. Thanks for this tidbit, if I could rewind, I'd probably buy about 250 less domains and take it a bit slower.

@nononsense123 , interesting about inbound only. I've been watching so much DNAcademy, and he makes it seem like outbound is the secret to success.

•••
I'll check that book out. Sounds like it covers a lot of diverse ground.

@biggie I haven't purchased anything yet lol.

•••
If you are buying domains to sell at $75-$150, at an industry standard 2% sell-though rate, then the renewal numbers are going to bury you.

•••
If you list at $75-$150 you will have more than 2% STR. I've seen that with decent quality domains you can get up to 10%-20% STR.

I realize this if you're talking about "decent quality domains", but did you read his post and see the domains? These appear to be end user-level prices.

Either way, they are all just sitting on Sedo/Flippa/Dan/TPP with plenty of offer views and hits, and no offers.

•••
Great thread for future investors.

Pick good names - takes 3 months to educate yourself.

Sit and hold those great names.

Educate yourself on how to handle inbound inquiries, maybe do a bit of outbound sales.

Pretty pages and marketplaces don't sell names; the buyers have already sold themselves when they approach you.

Agree to a price, or don't.

That's domaining.
Thanks, I got swept up in trying to make it more complicated than it is. I'll focus on getting rid of what I have and hold off on buying unless I see stellar 750+ names. I've got way too many for being less than 2 months in. I appreciate the advice

One other observation I can say from experience. A good or great domain name will get type in traffic and random marketplace hits without you doing a thing.

Thanks Jason! I've been watching the Dan Analytics and sorting by views to make sure everything is all set on the landing pages. Pricing is tough as I don't have experience. But I'm doing research on similar names and their sales

•••
@Deven Patel
Thanks a lot for this helpful piece of info.

One more thing. As you have given an example of QuickFit. Fit in QuickFit is also a trademarked word. Wouldn't that pose a problem while selling Quickfit domain.
Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
One other thing brandables are the exception as far as type in traffic. If it could work as a brand name but isn't a real word.

•••
this is great advice! Is Twilio just for temporary numbers for texting? I pay for Cpanel with Namecheap. Most of my domains are with them. Anything specific to Google or look up to learn more?

Last edited:
•••
"Outbound is the secret to success" in a lot of areas, domaining isn't one of them.
Robert Greene has a book "The Art of Seduction", there's a chapter called "Coquette". Most successful domainers, consciously or unconsciously, act like that 😀

•••
@DomainRecap are you referring to resellers ? if so that 2% Sell through rate might not apply if you are selling to other domainers

•••
I am referring to the OP, who is listing on established venues like Sedo and DAN, and has yet to get an offer. And unless you're referring to blowing sellable domains out at $10-$50, or listing them on soon-to-expire sites expecting similar prices, then I really don't see much difference in rates between domainers vs. end users.

I think the 2% sell-through rates takes into consideration all buyer types and that you are pricing them at industry-standard levels.

•••
If you are buying domains to sell at $75-$150, at an industry standard 2% sell-though rate, then the renewal numbers are going to bury you.
If you list at $75-$150 you will have more than 2% STR. I've seen that with decent quality domains you can get up to 10%-20% STR.

Fun fact, with (hand regged) domains priced @ $75-$150 I've noticed an higher STR on Afternic than on wholesale marketplaces.

Renwals still risk to bury you though. It's a fragile equilibrium and unless you have a small portfolio of handregged domains and the need to have cashflow, I don't advise to follow this route.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, my reasoning apply only with "decent quality" domains. My humble opinion is that OP should focus on what type of domains have market demand (at least from what I can infer just looking at that sample).

That's the plan. The problem is that I don't have a grasp on pricing as I haven't received any offers. I removed a lot of Buy Now's on DAN, and I'm starting most of these at 100-500$ bids. I've added to Afternic, as well. My cheap .net's (50-300$) are all on Sedo. Still learning, but trying to be patient. 2% sounds about right. :)

Edit: Sedo because DAN requires at 100$ min offer, and that's a lot for some of these stinker NFT .nets

Last edited:
•••
Great thread for future investors.

Pick good names - takes 3 months to educate yourself.

Sit and hold those great names.

Educate yourself on how to handle inbound inquiries, maybe do a bit of outbound sales.

Pretty pages and marketplaces don't sell names; the buyers have already sold themselves when they approach you.

Agree to a price, or don't.

That's domaining.

•••
@Deven Patel
Hello, Thanks for these valuable tips.
One thing i Want to know why Niche names are tough to sell. I see many veteran domainers stressing on buying Niche Names.
Thank You.

•••
Wow. I had no clue Alter could do this. I moved a group of domains over to Alter last week because I really like the idea. Awesome business model! Apologies, but I hadn't put 2 and 2 together that you founded it. Also, great DD on 'ATX', I'll definitely be using this tool moving forward.

It's just a numbers game. Niche names are tough to sell because they have a very limited pool of potential buyers.

For example, the only buyers interested in your name FitATX would be those looking to start a fitness business in the Austin, TX area. Taking the population of Austin into account, that already reduces your chances by 7,800 times compared to a name like QuickFit that would appeal to the whole world.

Also, take a look at the historical sales data on Namebio for the keyword "ATX". Only around 20 similar names sold over the past two decades out of the 1 million total sales reported on the site.

Additionally, the keyword "ATX" is already trademarked in the fitness category which makes it even harder for a new business to use that name.

I think what may help you is to create your own checklist of criteria you should meet before buying a name (e.g. short, catchy, pronounceable, X extension, X length, X price, trademarked?, similar sales?, etc). It'll be a nice tool to have in your arsenal as you grow as a domainer.

Like any other business, it's not easy to make money domaining. But if you put enough hard work into it, you can certainly be successful. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back