Payoneer

I was scammed and its embarrassing

Discussion in 'Domain Industry News' started by uglydork, Feb 11, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. uglydork

uglydork Active Member VIP

I traced the guy to whom I wired the bulk of the money. He is a Nigerian student at Baylor in Waco Texas. I friended him on Facebook and he accepted before he realized who I was. I also friended his sister in Nigeria. I called and emailed Baylor and the Waco police and told him. I also found out he had a pregnant girlfriend using Google and finding their baby registry.
    I started to pressure him and his sister. I told him I went to Baylor and Waco police. I asked him if he could support his new child if he was kicked out of college? He insisted someone sent him the money to buy a car - I asked why I would send him money for a car? He finally felt like he may lose his education and get arrested so he wired the money back minus $30 for the wire fee because he said he was broke.
    This guy might be the actual scammer - I have no idea? There are also 2 people in Atlanta involved. I still dont know who the real scammer is. We do text each other - its weird.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Kingslayer

Kingslayer Active Member VIP

There’s some bastards about, apologies for the language but you have to call them for what they are, they always pose under a woman’s name as well.

3. bulkdomainz

bulkdomainz Established Member

@uglydork
    Good you got most of your money back but you did know everything about this was wrong the moment you learned the payment was gonna be split out to quite a few 'accounts/ recipients', and the western union stuff should have made you tell the seller where to go!

Shame on the fraudster!
    Thanks for sharing their details!

4. MIK

MIK Established Member

Thank you, I was looking for this answer only. This is scary, I can't imagine consequence if scammers use it for getting bank details. I used to verify email by simply looking its domain name, but from now I have to be more careful.

@uglydork
    I can feel your pain, losing money like this really hurts. Thank you for sharing. I learned many things in this thread.

5. stub

stub Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

If he was a poor broke student he would not have had the money to repay you. If he is not the actual scammer, he knows the scammer well enough (intimately?) to know how the scam operated and to get the scammer to repay the money to you. So your agreement with him must have been that you would not press charges against him or anyone else in the scam provided he refunded the money. Would that be correct? Did you have to put that in writing? If not. I'd put the cops on him and everyone else involved, for the balance owed. It sounds like a ring, to me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 12:16 PM
  6. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Why is this guy even in the Country? Maybe what is his name has a point, extreme vetting, sorry this happend, amazing comeback, one set for 60 minutes for sure that you actually got a scammer to wire you the money back. Wire fraud is no laughing matter, his student visa is basically up in smoke, you now hold this guy's life in your hands pretty much.

7. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

I get a lot of spam, where it says multinational companies looking for someone to process payments, etc.. this could be a multi level scam where he keeps a % for accepting funds, I am surprised the money had not already reached it's given point of destination. Funny about the wire fee minus $30, I think you should advise BAC at least.

8. uglydork

Hell no! I didnt promise that a*hole anything! The Waco police were kinda jerks. They told me I have to press charges here first. My family is heavy into law enforcement (Father-in-law in this town) so my wife told me just let it go. She doesn't want everyone in town talking about it.

9. Pat8

Pat8 Established Member

Sorry to hear this but with all due respect you should have at least done some basic research before going in on such a huge name.
    1. Domain has a huge BUY IT NOW option on top.
    2. After clicking it redirects to https://www.mydomaincontact.com/index.php?domain_name=technology.com .
    3. I understand that technology.com has WHOIS under privacy but mydomaincontact.com has a WHOIS that is public.
    4. You could have tried to contact them and asked because only a person with control of the domain can add such a redirect.
    I am not a pro but can do some research here and there . Especially if amount is in $XXX,XXX .

Hope that this doesn't happen again with anyone.

10. Pat8

Pat8 Established Member

OH MY GOD ! This is really serious .. How the hell did spammer get access to this? :xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek:

11. Addison

Addison Established Member

An email can be sent from any email address, including [email protected]. I can send you an email from [email protected] in two seconds. The address that an email comes from is not guaranteed to be from them. It can be set to anything the sender wants with a couple seconds of typing. It's not impressive. It's not a feat.

It's worrisome how much trust is put in email by those who're oblivious to how it works.

12. Candace

Candace Broker at Starfire Holdings; DNGeek blogger NamePros Supporter

Sorry to hear about this.

I do hope that you eventually recover the remainder of your $$$$ from the ATL guy.

Thank you for sharing your experience so that the rest of us can learn.

Take courage.

(Btw, some of y'all need to learn that you don't 'beat a brother' while he's down. smh. )

13. Dave

Dave Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It is surprisingly very easy to fake emails.

14. MapleDots

MapleDots Established Member

Very true but when you respond back they would have had to use a different reply to address and that should also been a red flag.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:24 PM
  15. DanSanchez

DanSanchez MarkYourWorld.com

The scam is alive and well, caught a guy that posed on this forum doing the same thing TODAY.

Attached Files:

16. MapleDots

OMG... deal.com

In case you don't take it

Where can I send my deposit to? :giggle:

17. uglydork

Me first!

18. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

I reported this guy to the to the mods about a week ago, looks like they banned him Feb 5th...

There was a few people in talks with him, he never backed up ownership, so talks went south very quickly.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/deal-com-70-000.1063692/

New scam of 2018 find a great domain behind privacy with no landing contact, and offer at a great wholesale price, I guess.

Domains must be a gold mine if the Nigerians are working this angle, once the word gets out more will come, making buyers even harder to deal with for legit buyers if people start getting ripped off, and warnings go out.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:44 PM
  19. creataweb

creataweb Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

That type of stuff should be instant perma-ban.

20. Pat8

Pat8 Established Member

Thanks for the info! I didn't notice how easy it really is ! :xf.eek:(y)(y)

21. MapleDots

HeHe..... get in line buddy.... I have first dibs :xf.laugh:

22. McDuke

McDuke Active Member VIP

419! Typical from Nigeria, Legos is the hub, internet cafes full with teams of scammers. There are people who go after these guys 419eater, thescambaiters etc.

23. stub

stub Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Family pressure will get you to stop. Almost every time. I can understand how you and your wife can have different views on this same subject. How many more times would it have to happen before she would change her mind? (rhetorical question). Isn't it strange that being heavy into law enforcement in you town/city puts you in a weaker position? (another rhetorical question).

Hopefully you never fall for another scam again and have learnt your lesson, about being ultra-careful when large sums of money are involved. Heck. I'm that careful about making payments to a new person here on NP. If it's a big value, it goes thru Escrow. I'll pay the fees. If I've traded with them before, and they don't have any bad TR, I will pay first by paypal. (But oftentimes I don't buy domains if they have any bad PR. But in the right circumstances I could see myself overlooking my rule sometimes. Just like you did.). But we are talking quantums different in terms of values.

I would also like to thank you for your post. I'm sure you original target for posting your experience here has been met. More people are now aware of this scam and will not send money without using an Escrow service. Including me. Thank you again.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 6:16 PM
  24. GetBigDomains

GetBigDomains GetBigDomains.com

Sounds like an experienced scammer without a conscience (well just a little)..
    Whats scary is they were able to fake the ownership/documentation/emails.
    At least you hit them where it hurts and got some back.

I remember I was contacted and I'd just come into some money, it made me so paranoid and so upset.
    People like that can ruin anything good in a second. They think people grow it on trees, they don't care about who they hurt. It's really pathetic. (They should funding circle if they need enterprise funds!)
    At least you have a good heart!

Thanks for sharing!

25. Recons.Com

Recons.Com Business Member Business Account VIP

Sorry for your loss.

What was the total agreed price in the end, before you started transferring the prepayment? Just curious.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!