Payoneer

I was scammed and its embarrassing

Discussion in 'Domain Industry News' started by uglydork, Feb 11, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. Acroplex

Acroplex Top Member DomainGang.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. bmugford

bmugford www.DataCube.com PRO ICA Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Sucks to be scammed, but if a deal is too good to be true...you know the rest.

Brad

3. DnDot.com

DnDot.com Business Member Business Account

I mean 2k isn't a small amount but not a lot compared to what it would have been, we can analyse the situation now and say we could have done this or that but ultimately I think a lot of us with a bit more greed in them would have made a similar decision.

4. JB Lions

JB Lions Business Member Business Account VIP

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. The story alone of not being able to use Escrow, that would have been it for me. Then add in the pile of other flags. Nothing added up. Like I said, live and learn.

5. frank-germany

frank-germany Business Member Business Account VIP

sorry for you Richard
    I can feel your pain

thank you for sharing
    you are exposing yourself to laughter
    cudos

Frank

PS
    escrow is not the only option
    sedo's escrow service
    would have been a good choice

6. frank-germany

frank-germany Business Member Business Account VIP

you can always ask for the nameservers to be changed to yours for a while
    to proof at least that the seller is in charge

7. mr-x

mr-x Acme Domains Business Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Once the adrenalin hits your brain greed takes over it's done. You're not alone. I've seen smart people including police be scammed for thousands of dollars. It happens.

8. rh2000

rh2000 Established Member

Damn.

9. Silentptnr

Silentptnr PRYCR.COM Business Account VIP

Yeah, I can imagine being up late at night, unable to sleep, wrestling with the pros and cons, all the while knowing you want the name. Knowing you're gonna do it despite the little voice saying it's not right, but racking your brain to rationalize it.

What a rush!

Just stings when you realize your nightmare has become reality.

10. winst

winst Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Wow, thank you for sharing. Hindsight is always 20/20.

It is not so much of spotting the warning signs, but rather, scammers lean on our emotions to make us turn an blind-eye on the warning signs. The more the scammers know about you, the more they figure out the exactly emotional button to push to let your guards down.

The 3 emotions they lean on are:
    • Greed
    • Empathy
    • Threat
    Often, the scammer would lure you in with a great "insider" deal, an under-appreciated prize, then kept you engaged with personal hardship stories, then go for the "kill" with physical harm if money is not wired immediately.

It is not just domains. The scammers are everywhere because it is cheap to execute, phone ID and email can be spoofed from anywhere.

I have had close relatives scammed to assist a local ID theft investigation (somehow the investigation required wiring the money out of country), I've also got email from a co-worker who needed emergency money while on vacation (she decided not to go the last minute, and realized her email was hacked)

I also wanted to add that don't underestimate the scammers. Many belongs to a large group and they are very organized, and technology savvy. I've seen report out of Asia that many have people that speaks different language so they could cover a larger demographics.

It is scary out there. Please be careful.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  11. domainer111

domainer111 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Confidence tricks are so powerful, sorry to hear about this @uglydork , at least you got some of the cash back, and I have a feeling you're not done with them yet.

Sometimes it's very hard to keep an open mind when a certain narrative is spinning away.

12. MapleDots

MapleDots Established Member

I have to admit, I've always liked @uglydork cander and this post is no exception. He understands it will come at him from both sides but decided to share his experience anyways.

I will not lecture him on what could have been a warning sign or how the situation could have been avoided. I will thank him for sharing the experience and giving us a hmmm moment to review our own safety protocols in the domaining world.

Thank you for posting.

13. karmaco

karmaco Established Member

Another facet to this story is the guy took weeks to create a friendship. This is a long con. Someone talking about personal things to gain trust is another red flag.
    Business is business and should be kept separate from regular socializing.

14. URLtrader

URLtrader Business Member Business Account ★★★★★★★★★★

It is very nice of you that you put your emotions and embarrassment on the side to share your experience and warn other buyers. There were so many red flags to ignore.

I do own Technology.biz and my escrow account is C level certified. I am asking for a fixed $ 5,000 plus buyer pays full escrow fee.

Let me know if you wish to move forward.

Best,

Dave

15. eDomain India

eDomain India Business Member Business Account

Anyone can be scammed. The important thing is that we are doing our best but other hand treats like as a criminal mind. If someone scammes personally i feel very bad. We are learning a lot but at the end there are some loop holes and scammers are doing their job with the help of loop holes. Right dicision of a domainer is not the gurantee of saftey. But we are domains trader so there are always chances to be scammed. Learn a lot and tring to be not get scammed.

16. obocar

obocar Established Member

The first few sentences sound like you were writimg a poem.

Sorry it happened to you. Thanks for sharing.

17. obocar

obocar Established Member

18. axus_auto

axus_auto Established Member

Thanks for being so courageous to share your experience with us. All of us can learn from this fairly costly but beneficial lesson.

19. DnEbook

DnEbook UberStartup.Com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

State your terms and walk away if need be, but like all the others reading this ...many thanks sharing your experience

20. .tv

.tv Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

So sorry to hear. Hope you'll get all your money back.

The easiest way to verify domain ownership is to ask them to change the nameservers from the existing ones that are already in use.

If they don't have access to the domain name, they can't do this.

Forging email addresses to send emails to make them look like as if they were originating from the particular domain name, is much easier for anyone who has access to a PHP enabled server, or with websites like this: https://anonymousemail.me

The only way to verify the authenticity of an email address is to replying back and asking the sender to respond to your reply from the same address he/she contacted you. A scammer can use the above trick to create a fake "from" address, but he can't able to receive/read/respond to the incoming emails to the fake "from" address he used, because he doesn't have access to the real domain name and its email service. Even if he/she manages to hack a real email address under a domain name, you can always ask him/her to create and communicate via a new email address (of your choice) under the domain name to authenticate his ownership if you suspect something is fishy.

21. xynames

xynames Established Member

Anyone who has been scammed looking back wonders how it could have happened.

If you’re fortunate you recover your money but even if not you learn from such experiences and move on.

This one OP describes was a variety of the long con - by the time you realize you’ve been suckered it’s too late.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  22. mad409

mad409 Always thinking outside the box! VIP

@uglydork it's not embarrassing, or shouldn't be. Heck unless your sitting around not doing anything everyone has or will get scammed in their lifetime. I've made many mistakes myself, thanks for sharing and keeping us on our toes.

23. nomen

nomen Active Member VIP

Sorry to hear. Thanks for sharing. Takes courage.

24. Furquah

Furquah The Captain VIP

Thanks for sharing, I will note down it in my heart.

Don't scamm, Don't get Scammed!

25. Crysis

Crysis Established Member

Thanks for sharing and Kudos for accepting your mistake!

A nice quote by Johnny cash comes to my mind:

"You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space."

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!