Dynadot

advice I was scammed and its embarrassing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I cant believe I am writing this.

I am doing this knowing I will be ridiculed.

I am doing this knowing some people will laugh.

I am doing this knowing some people with be outright nasty

I am not looking for sympathy.

I am doing this to help others.

It started a couple of weeks ago. I posted on Linkedin that I was selling my name MineCryrpto.com and BitcoinPrices.io for 1 million dollars. Sometimes I like to try odd ways of advertising to see if it works. I wanted to see if posting an obviously inflated price would prompt some discussion. Apparently it caught the eye of a Nigerian scammer and I would be his next victim.

Barbara wrote to me about the name technology.com:

http://www.richarddynas.com/pics/

I was intrigued so I did some research and couldn’t find the domain name or address with any recent action. The name popped up on linked : https://www.linkedin.com/in/barbara-untergasser-893193144/

She belonged to some domain groups and had a bunch of connections. It wasn’t a brand new account so I proceeded to write Barbara. I asked her how much she wanted - $120,000. I didn’t have that kind of money so I turned to a trusted person I know in the industry to buy the name and pay me a finders fee. We have done that deal before so I knew I could at least a few bucks off the deal.If I could get the price down, I could make more money. Barbara seemed niave and had no idea what she had. I asked if she would take less and we agreed on a price. I explained to Barbara that I had a financial backer and I needed to loop him in, he would handle the deal from here. I loop my backer in and he asks for her escrow information,Barabara writes me back and explains that her husband messed up their escrow account years ago and she cant use escrow. I go back to my backer and let him know the situation and he bails immediately. “Hell no! It’s a scam” I was advised to run. I wrote back to Barbara and advised her that nobody in the industry will touch her name without escrow. I thanked her for her time and went about my way.

I left work for the day and on my way home I received an email from Barabara. She wanted to do a deal and would sell it for less because she couldn’t use escrow. After days of chatting through Linkedin she explained she was from Austria and moved to Texas after she married:

Her husband ended up turning to drugs and they are divorcing and selling off assets. She needed money to live and their domain portfolio was the only thing worth much money.

We talked for a week, we talked about personal things,domains and everything in between. I was checking stories and looking for clues the entire time. She would have bailed long ago if she was scamming me – right?

I asked for proof about owning the name and she provided it:

I told her that I wasn’t going to transfer money until she transferred the name. We agreed on a small down payment and then the transfer would start. The money exchange would be Paypal. I sent the money to her friend because she didn’t have paypal (another red flag) – I sent the down payment. The transfer started:

I wired the rest of the money and sent another small amount via Western Union to a friend she owed money to. (Another Red Flag)

I waited for the push to my enom account and nothing. I called enom and they told me the name was registered under them but managed by another party? I called the number they gave me and emailed the account. I still have never heard back from them. I started getting nervous and pressuring Barbara. All of the sudden I get a phone call from her “son” asked me to relax that I was upsetting his mom. He had a heavy accent. I knew at that point I was screwed!

I didn’t want “Barbara” to know I was on to what was happening. I kept talking to her. I was scrambling trying to cancel everything.

1. Western Union – it was already picked up. Im screwed. I filed a report and I still havnt heard anything back – that money is gone.

2. Wire – Bank Of America and USAA. I called them both before they opened to stop the transfer. My bank USAA – told me its instant, its at Bank Of America, call them. I called and talked to so many people who would do nothing. Literally nothing. The bank wasn’t open yet, they could have stopped it. They wouldn’t do a thing. I have since written to the heads of these banks and their management and have heard nothing. How can you not listen to a person who is explaining an outright scam and do nothing?

3. Paypal – what a joke! I paid by friends and family by accident. I wasn’t paying attention, my fault. They froze 2K on his account, I paid 6K. Again, they could have stopped this. I explained what happened and how it was a scam and I could prove it, they didn’t care only to tell me tough, you used friends and family. They still have 2K frozen and wont give it back to me. I even send all the proof to their executive support and their answer was to dispute it with my credit card company. With all the business I give Paypal I was expecting better support.

I tried stopping all of this before business hours and before money was taken, all of these businesses could have stopped the transactions at least to investigate. Nope, not one of them cared.

Enom wrote me back:

The email about the transfer and owning the name were forged. Damn it. It looked real. I started following IP addresses and one hit Nigeria, now I knew I was in trouble

I wrote to Barbara and confronted “her” and I found out it was a scam. It was a guy, he wont tell me where he is from but I know. To this day he still texts me telling me he is sorry.

I found the guy to where I wired the money. He is a Nigerian student at Baylor University. He made the mistake of friending me on Facebook. I went to Baylor and the Waco police to pressure him. I also start bothering his family. He wired back all my money . I never heard from Baylor so I wrote them again, they went to the Waco police because I was harassing them! They never once acknowledged my emails or told me to stop. How do I know the crime wasn’t committed on their computer system?

Here is all the information I have on all of them:

Barbara Untergasser
[email protected]
[email protected]
Oriade Ayemo
Gbemileke Ikugbanmire

Telephone numbers:

737-210-3686 – “Barbaras son”

346-233-0321 – “Barbara” known as Barbie88 on Namepros

217-577-8729 – [email protected] – piece of shit in Atlanta that has my 6K – claims he doesn’t know anything

Bank Name: Bank Of America Account Name: Oriade Ayemo Account Number: 004644944793 Routine No: 026009593 Address: 1100 N valley Mills Dr, Waco , Texas 76710 Who is this to you? Bank Name: Bank Of America Account Name: Emmanuel Akintola Account Number: 334055137079 Routing number: 061000052 Address: 4567 S cobb Dr SE, Smyrna, GA 30080

Bank Name: Bank Of America Account Name: Emmanuel Akintola Account Number: 334055137079 Routing number: 061000052 Address: 4567 S cobb Dr SE, Smyrna, GA 30080 Note: Do not use business as the payment type to avoid delay. Just use Family or Personal.

Western Union Details Name: Voke Emekeme Location: Atlanta, GA Amount: $2000 Western Union Details Name: Akpevwe Olidge Location: Atlanta, GA Moneygram Details

Name: Voke Emekeme Location: Atlanta, GA

[email protected]

Recipient Name: Akpevwe Olidge Destination: Atlanta GA.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. This went on for 2 weeks and he still texts me!

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-11_10-26-32.png
    upload_2018-2-11_10-26-32.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 207
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't get how could someone who doesn't own Technology.com use the email [email protected] ?!?!?!?
it's called as email masking, you should check email full header and digging on it to find the real sender address

•••
Wow, what a story. Thank you for sharing your gained in pain experience, and good luck with restoring all your funds!

•••
I was scamed 2 years a go, so I know, what is like! angry and etc! and because of that reason, everytime I saw Godaddy Commision or other marketplace 10% or even 30%, I never complaint!because doing biz online we need 3rd party! if not, it will be hard!

moral story is,share your profit to other(3rd party) then you safe! :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
Hi uglydork,

Thank you for sharing your experience, it can happen to ANYONE regardless of how they claim it couldn’t!

Sorry to hear you went through all that, what a horrible experience for you!

Just FYI, Baylor is very strict on morals, etc. If you submit details / proof about his crime, it’s very likely he’ll be expelled. They expel male and female unmarried students if they so much as live together. You never know what that jerk told them about you and may be the reason they may have sided with him.

He should not have the right to a good education, especially if he is going to utilize it for harming others, and even less for being such a hypocrite in attending a Christian school while committing these crimes.

Payback is a b**ch, report his sorry @ss and mess up his record, it’s what he deserves for being a criminal.

He didn’t think twice about harming you.

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck and take care!

•••
I was also scammed for $6200 and there is no way I can get money back.
I got mail from South Korea domain agent who said he got my email from whois and want to buy domain "guuhuu.com" for $40,000 for his buyer.I was asked to get ownership/valuation/Korean translation certificates from http://authorize-international.net/ for fees of $349 which I sent them.Certificates were issued and accepted by the buyer (presumingly).Then http://authorize-international.net/ asked me to deposit security fee of $5600 for conducting the transaction through their escrow account.I deposited this amount also.Now they asked me to pay $1000 first to the agent, only then I will get $40,000.I asked them to confirm if the deal amount has been received by them in the escrow account.They never confirmed but insisted on paying agent's commission of $1000.So many red flags.But at this last stage, I went on searching on the net to find this is all scam.

They are still saying to depost $1000,but never talked of $40,000.
Lost total amount of $6228.

I paid
1.Domain Certification fee in English--$249
2.Domain Certification in Korean-------$100
3.Domain Listing on http://authorize-international.net/ -$279 (the requirement for this deal)
4.Security fee for Ethereum Escrow Transaction-$5600

Last edited:
•••
I got mail from South Korea domain agent who said he got my email from whois and want to buy domain "guuhuu.com" for $40,000 for his buyer.I was asked to get ownership/valuation/Korean translation certificates from http://authorize-international.net/ for fees of $349 which I sent them.Certificates were issued and accepted by the buyer (presumingly).Then http://authorize-international.net/ asked me to deposit security fee of $5600 for conducting the transaction through their escrow account.I deposited this amount also.Now they asked me to pay $1000 first to the agent, only then I will get $40,000.I asked them to confirm if the deal amount has been received by them in the escrow account.They never confirmed but insisted on paying agent's commission of $1000.So many red flags.But at this last stage, I went on searching on the net to find this is all scam.

Damn.

•••
I am sorry to hear that Pritam Singh Obi.

That appraisal scam has been around as long as I have been investing in domains, but that "security fee" is a new addition. How did you submit payment for those fees?

Paying a lot of money in order to get paid a larger sum... These type of scams have been around since the beginning days of the internet.

It is amazing how the promise of money can blind people when it comes to common sense.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Duplicate post removed.

Last edited:
•••

I paid
3.Domain Listing on http://authorize-international.net/ -$279 (the requirement for this deal)
I never understand why people fall for such scams (I know, I know, greed) which require you to actually pay to get money. Whaaat? Why would you need to do that? If you need to receive a payment, just get it deducted from the payment to be received

•••

I paid

Im so sorry - that sucks. That is way beyond what I lost.
Is there a website for domain scams to list names and watches?

•••
I was scamed 2 years a go, so I know, what is like! angry and etc! and because of that reason, everytime I saw Godaddy Commision or other marketplace 10% or even 30%, I never complaint!because doing biz online we need 3rd party! if not, it will be hard!

moral story is,share your profit to other(3rd party) then you safe! :xf.grin:

Do business with reputble people

I paid

Unless your business name is costco I will never give you any money to do business with you.

Always, Always a red flag when someone asks for money from you to purchase one of your domains. I had one that looked legit once and I responded the same way. I said..... Let me get this straight, you want my product and are asking me to give YOU money first. Shit, let me walk nto walmart and tell them they have to pay me fifty bucks before I buy that thousand dollar tv. What do you think the odds are of that happening?

•••
The homepage of that authorize-international.net should have been a red flag:

Our statistics for January, 2018

Domains listed 47,902

Domains sold 41,638

Average sale price $37,589

If you do the math, that's more than $1.5 BILLION in claimed transactions, in a single month.

•••
•••
Do business with reputble people

Unless your business name is costco I will never give you any money to do business with you.

Always, Always a red flag when someone asks for money from you to purchase one of your domains. I had one that looked legit once and I responded the same way. I said..... Let me get this straight, you want my product and are asking me to give YOU money first. sh*t, let me walk nto walmart and tell them they have to pay me fifty bucks before I buy that thousand dollar tv. What do you think the odds are of that happening?

your logic are quite good! though, there's a time when 5hit happen! and you can't think straight! :xf.grin:
just remember use paypal if you buyer, or use marketplace if you seller! :xf.grin:

•••
Reading through this gives me the chill Its definitely true there were a lot of red flags you ignored but I still can't imagine the trouble and mental pressure you went through.

•••
sorry for your lost mate and I hope you recover all your fund.
I am a Nigerian, my heart breaks anything I read a news like this.
I hope this should not give you a bad impression about Nigerians (Nigeria) generally?

we are a great nation with good, talented and hard working citizen's,
will have great men and women changing the world positively: politically,socially, medically, in business, education etc, we have youth with good zeal, ready to perform when giving the chance, great entrepreneur, Nigeria are filled with good people,
though their are bad eggs (people) giving the country a bad name.

any deal too good to be true should be avoided at all cost. always use an escrow service, most of the time it is greed that make many lost money to fraudsters, we all should be careful .

once again I am deeply sorry for your lost

•••
I got mail from South Korea domain agent...

Thank you for sharing!

The lessons here are don't let "greed" overshadow your common business sense, and don't let scammers convince you that is how they conduct business in their country, do some research first.

•••
Lol, you thought you were getting Technology.com for 6k? That'll teach you, greed pure greed. Scammers everywhere and lets be honest, had you actually bought it for 6k, would you have sent them another 50k to make things a little fairer?

•••
Lol, you thought you were getting Technology.com for 6k? That'll teach you, greed pure greed. Scammers everywhere and lets be honest, had you actually bought it for 6k, would you have sent them another 50k to make things a little fairer?
It wasn’t 6k

•••

I paid

I would have realised scam as soon as they ask for money before receiving money

•••
I'm sorry that happened to you. And those that are criticizing him for it: these scams are all over the internet. I think you should be more alarmed that its made its way into the domain industry. I had no idea until he posted.

Thank you for posting.

•••
horrible story but yes echoing what everyone said....any escrow service is key...no escrow service no deal...escrow accounts dont get screwed up unless you are violating terms..

•••
Have you reported this crime to the proper authorities? Internet Fraud is handled by the FBI.

•••
Thanks for sharing your embarrassing story :xf.embarrassed:

Live and learn baby :cigar:

Last edited:
•••
I am Nigerian. And I find this very embarrassing as it impedes any success other genuine people could make just because of the fault of a few bad eggs. Anyway, I am glad you got your money back.

This is why I am an advocate of escrow all the way. Even for amounts as low as $500

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back