IT.COM

I want to sell a domain in escrow, but it is needed to 'cancel private registration', can I just change the info to any random name/number?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Edrinkcoffee

Established Member
Impact
I was reviewing the requirements for a Domain transaction using escrow.

"
  1. Cancel additional products such as private registration - If you have private registration on your account, this will prevent the domain transfer. To cancel your private registration, go to the manage section on your domain dashboard and cancel the private registration."
If I do that in godaddy, it means whenever I go to who.is, i can see now the name/email/ number .
Can I just change that to something random like Tech Admin or Site Owner etc etc, and also put in a random phone number?
Will that affect my sale?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To cancel your private registration, go to the manage section on your domain dashboard and cancel the private registration."

If I do that in godaddy, it means whenever I go to who.is, i can see now the name/email/ number .
Can I just change that to something random like Tech Admin or Site Owner etc etc, and also put in a random phone number?
Will that affect my sale?
You really don't want to have anything there that is inaccurate--otherwise it could be grounds for removing the domain.
I've found that having privacy off is not a big deal, and does make it easier when it comes to domain listing and transfers.

•••
You really don't want to have anything there that is inaccurate--otherwise it could be grounds for removing the domain.
I've found that having privacy off is not a big deal, and does make it easier when it comes to domain listing and transfers.
Hi, thanks for the response.
Yep I agree above privacy off. As mentioned, it's part of the process for Domain reselling using escrow.
I'm confused though, I see some websites in who.is that have "Site Admin" or "Site owner" as the name registered. How come those don't have any issues?

•••
Hi, thanks for the response.
Yep I agree above privacy off. As mentioned, it's part of the process for Domain reselling using escrow.
I'm confused though, I see some websites in who.is that have "Site Admin" or "Site owner" as the name registered. How come those don't have any issues?
Not sure, but I'm sure there are some really sharp folks here on the forum that can answer that one. Did you compare what shows up to the lookup/icann.org or whois.com? Maybe it shows differently there.

•••
When you say 'escrow', are you referring to Escrow.com or some other company?

What I would suggest is, change your escrow. All my domains are under privacy and I never had a transaction -or any other problem- because of that using Sedo, Uniregistry and Afternic

I remember at some point, a few years ago, someone at support tried to blame the privacy for problems in the domain transfer but, fortunately, I talked to someone else at support and the transfer was completed successfully.

And never ever try to mess with real info as it is a good way to lose your domain.

•••
I never removed whois privacy and my domain transfers were still successful. I don't think you should remove the privacy, just try it with privacy enabled.

You must always use your real information for whois, it is very important to use a working phone number and email address, the best is to use your main email address you check frequently.

Do not ever enter fake whois, it is against the ICANN policy and you may lose your domain due to fake whois.

•••
Godaddy uses escrow so you may as well use that service through Godaddy.

•••
Godaddy uses escrow so you may as well use that service through Godaddy.
Oh I didn't know godaddy have escrow service.
Will research. But probably fee of escrow is lower than godaddy?

•••
I never removed whois privacy and my domain transfers were still successful. I don't think you should remove the privacy, just try it with privacy enabled.

You must always use your real information for whois, it is very important to use a working phone number and email address, the best is to use your main email address you check frequently.

Do not ever enter fake whois, it is against the ICANN policy and you may lose your domain due to fake whois.
Hmm, yeah. I guess I'll just leave privacy enabled.
Escrow would probably let me know if transfer will not work with that privacy option enabled.
But, if I do use escrow as a seller, and they process the transfer, will the buyer know all my information, name, org, number, email?

•••
When you say 'escrow', are you referring to Escrow.com or some other company?

What I would suggest is, change your escrow. All my domains are under privacy and I never had a transaction -or any other problem- because of that using Sedo, Uniregistry and Afternic

I remember at some point, a few years ago, someone at support tried to blame the privacy for problems in the domain transfer but, fortunately, I talked to someone else at support and the transfer was completed successfully.

And never ever try to mess with real info as it is a good way to lose your domain.
escrow.com

escrow.com/domains/how-to

Okay during your past domain transfers, do you think, the recipient knew (or did they ever found out) your whois information after the domain was transferred to them?
(since as you said, all your domains are under privacy)

•••
Oh I didn't know godaddy have escrow service.
Will research. But probably fee of escrow is lower than godaddy?
The difference is you have one company to resolve issues should they arise.

Last edited:
•••
The difference is you have one company to resolve issues should they arise.
ah got your point. noted.
So I assume godaddy escrow service will keep buyer/seller information private? Won't share info between the 2 parties?

•••
ah got your point. noted.
So I assume godaddy escrow service will keep buyer/seller information private? Won't share info between the 2 parties?
I generally push the communication as well as they are more committed. As far as private info there is always ability to get it.

•••
escrow.com

escrow.com/domains/how-to

Okay during your past domain transfers, do you think, the recipient knew (or did they ever found out) your whois information after the domain was transferred to them?
(since as you said, all your domains are under privacy)

Well, for the transactions I handled myself, obviously, I had to introduce myself to the buyer.

For the ones that were handled by the marketplace, I'm not sure to be honest. I believe all the invoices, etc. show the venue's details and not mine and since the domain is under privacy, I see no way for the buyer to ever know who it is selling the domain. That's me assuming however; I really can't say for sure.

What I *can* say is,
when it happened for me to be in the buyer's position, I never had any way to know who was selling the domain I bought.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back