IT.COM

I tried to give away an XYZ domain and they refused, So I decided to something with it but need advice.

NameSilo
Watch

ZeroVariance

Established Member
Impact
Long story short, I have an XYZ domain that I regged last year as a joke.

PS: I had no idea where to post this thread, so I did it here.

It's related to renewal fees etc
however, it's an XYZ domain and the only XYZ domain I have.
I tried to give it away, and nobody wanted it. (says a lot lol), tried to sell it for a coffee, but nobody wants it.

Then I am thinking, I might as well turn this meme action and joke into something useful because it seems that the XYZ domain will haunt me for a long time, and I refuse to let it expire because of how it started.

So, I decided to create something like https://tld-list.com/

But I need advice in how they aggregate their data or how I can whip something up in a similar fashion that automates the process of finding the TLD renewal fees.

Can anyone put me in the right direction?

Any help would be appreciated!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Long story short, I have an XYZ domain that I regged last year as a joke.

PS: I had no idea where to post this thread, so I did it here.

It's related to renewal fees etc
however, it's an XYZ domain and the only XYZ domain I have.
I tried to give it away, and nobody wanted it. (says a lot lol), tried to sell it for a coffee, but nobody wants it.

Then I am thinking, I might as well turn this meme action and joke into something useful because it seems that the XYZ domain will haunt me for a long time, and I refuse to let it expire because of how it started.

But I need advice in how they aggregate their data or how I can whip something up in a similar fashion that automates the process of finding the TLD renewal fees.

You could spend a bit on hiring a developer to build this out for you. Look at Fiverr/Freelancer etc.

•••
You could spend a bit on hiring a developer to build this out for you. Look at Fiverr/Freelancer etc.
Honestly my experiences with these sites are awful.
I was just getting constantly scammed, getting the complete bare minimum quality of work (sometimes would get code that straight up was so bad it was unbelievable). I am a developer myself and it's ridiculous how bad those guys were)

Instead of trying one of those websites I would recommend finding a local firm to do it instead. Might cost more but the quality:price ratio is so much better.

•••
I hear a lot of people say this, but it's a waste of money. No one is going to find the site anyway unless you go all in on promoting it. Even then, if it's just an ad site then the bounce rate is going to be large enough to keep it off the SERP.

I know that a lot of YouTubers promote this tactic, but it doesn't make sense for it to be effective. Why develop ad sites for others so they can make money when you could just do it for yourself? The answer is obvious: because there's more money to be made of gullible people.

•••
You can be reseller affiliate and use other Registrar's APIs or affiliate links to earn
They will give you tracking link but there is a very minimal margin on TLD, so you can earn through ads too

Start a Subscription model.
you have to make it secure, need to pay for payment portals, make a brand and dedicate next few years for this
Personally I would not have started this business, cuz it would required alot of work and dedication for initial setup

If you still want to create something like tld-list it is gonna cost you around 7000 USD I can help if required, I have built SAAS apps like Uber, Jugnoo app, Swiggy ecommerce, Cannabis delivery and driver apps.

I have bought a domain googlebardseo with a com extension

- Ripudaman Kochhar

Take your decision wisely, there are lot of things you can start.

•••

Apart from the fact that Tld-list.com has historical depth, it is essentially a pricing aggregator. The frontends for such sites are not extremely difficult to build.

The real programming takes place on the backend with crawlers continually polling the registrar websites for the data, extracting the pricing data, transforming it into data that can be loaded into a database and then loading it. (ETL). The gTLD side of things involves only around 800 non-dropcatcher registrars and even some of them are not retail registrars. The ccTLD side of thing is a lot more complex as there are thousands of ccTLD registrars and some don't even have updated websites.

The database side of things has to be properly designed and that's going to be expensive. The database will also grow rapidly so if you are thinking of running such a site on shared webhosting, you may run out of harddrive space. The HTML on registrar sales pages may also change so that would mean that crawlers would have to be tweaked or rewritten. This kind of pricing aggregator isn't a toy website that can be properly developed for a few thousand Dollars.

Regards...jmcc

•••

I have no idea on the development side, but unless it is a passion project it seems like it might just be throwing good money after bad.

Brad

•••
Fork keys.lol on github :)

•••
"I have a domain that nobody wants for free, so I'm going to build a site on it"

do you honestly think it would be a good idea?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back