Dynadot

I think you guys are making a big mistake

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Are domainers making a mistake?

cliffs notes at bottom

ok so i studied long and hard for probably 30 hours over the last three days. i think the advice on www.domainnewbie.com and much of the advice on this board is really short-sighted and wrong.

this is the hypothesis i have formulated which i'd like feedback on. if im wrong, tell me why.

the advice passed around on this board, boards like it and by the various gurus, primarily boils down to telling people how to get good at flipping domains. how to select domains that will be highly liquid on the open market, which you can sell for a fast profit.

true or false?

ok well to me thats a retarded strategy unless you just have some aversion to getting a normal job, or you think you can make more doing that than you could doing something else...or because you like the perks of domain flipping over another job etc. those are all fine ends, but those are not the only ends.

i have a deep love affair with the internet, web 2.0, businesss 2.0, technology and all it can do for us as humans. i express that love by taking part in the revolution that is taking place all around us. i build websites and products and services i think people will like. isn't that what a domain name is for? to build something on?

if i have a choice between these two domains:

models.tv

and

wie.com

i would take models.tv in an instant

sure i'm probably going to pay less for models.tv, but this isn't about money, its about which one i can develop into a better site some day, or which one somebody else might make into a great site by leasing the domain from me or though some kind of partnership. its not about which one appeals to a broader market of potential buyers. great artists don't decide what to paint based upon how many people might buy their painting. in fact many of them were ridiculed until after their death! i think the same will happen with domainers. once you guys stop churning domains with each other and making money for sedo, godaddy and paypal, the market for all these stupid domains will hit the floor. you want to know what end users think about qkft.com? they think its lame unless their company happens to have those initials

cliffs notes

good domain selection should be based on how usable a domain is by an end-user, not on how likely you are to flip it to another domainer

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The reason it wasn't interesting is because it is obvious. It is like me saying 'wow NamePros.com you can say NP cuz it stands for that' and you are like 'duh'

As for my world experience lol Well I'm typing this from Amsterdam where I have been living for three months, lived in Thailand for two years, Hawaii, Las Vegas and LA before that. I'd say I have seen a thing or two of what this world has to offer. As for being a good marketer, we did over $5,000,000 in 2007 in Internet Marketing, so I'd like to think I'm good at it. Maybe its all dumb luck

I guess a further clarification of my hypothesis could be:

'Domainers making $9 an hour or less would be better off picking one or two good domains a month to buy and hold and getting a job bagging groceries during the day' (or some other higher paying job...)

•••
The reason it wasn't interesting is because it is obvious. It is like me saying 'wow NamePros.com you can say NP cuz it stands for that' and you are like 'duh'

Is that even a coherent statement ?

Plenty of bums have traveled the world, nomads, vagabonds does not make them profound in business. But boy they sure have traveled.

If you did $5,000,000 in business why would you be wasting your time here ?
Why anyone doing $5,000,000 a year would be arguing in some instances with 16 year olds is a little odd. IMO

•••
PokerPie said:

As for my world experience lol Well I'm typing this from Amsterdam where I have been living for three months, lived in Thailand for two years, Hawaii, Las Vegas and LA before that. I'd say I have seen a thing or two of what this world has to offer. As for being a good marketer, we did over $5,000,000 in 2007 in Internet Marketing, so I'd like to think I'm good at it. Maybe its all dumb luck

I guess a further clarification of my hypothesis could be:

'Domainers making $9 an hour or less would be better off picking one or two good domains a month to buy and hold and getting a job bagging groceries during the day' (or some other higher paying job...)
Who is this "we"? You certainly do not sound like a buiness person at all. :imho:

•••
equity78 said:
Is that even a coherent statement ?

Plenty of bums have traveled the world, nomads, vagabonds does not make them profound in business. But boy they sure have traveled

i love how on all forums some people just assume new people are idiots. its quite hilarious, somebody should write a book on it.

im sorry you dont understand what i said. i'll try again

the reason i said it wasn't interesting, and the reason i do not find it interesting, is because it is very obvious. anybody who wasn't a domainer would see that. you have all of these domains at auction and 95% of them are really lame and unpronouncable. huge strings of lame and unpronouncable domains. then you read this forum and how they are all great and you have all these terms for how to describe a 54 letter unpronoucable word with 5 dashes in it lol its just obvious

•••
The above line you wrote, one could accurately guess the person was an idiot or 10 years old

•••
Diabro said:
Who is this "we"? You certainly do not sound like a buiness person at all. :imho:

This one certainly applies to what Mr Buffet said.

'when you see one group of people headed one way, its time to think about heading the other' or something. same goes for what makes a 'businessman'. especially when you add the internet to the equation

•••
To put yourself in the same sentence with Buffet is beyond hysterical. That quote is been around for a long time and not even authored by Buffet, just repeated famously.

•••
PokerPie said:
then you read this forum and how they are all great and you have all these terms for how to describe a 54 letter unpronoucable word with 5 dashes in it lol its just obvious
You mean like wie.com has no value and Model.TV is awesome? Why not fork out some money fror Model.TV and prove me wrong. PLEASE.

PokerPie said:

'when you see one group of people headed one way, its time to think about heading the other' or something. same goes for what makes a 'businessman'. especially when you add the internet to the equation
So it was you ans Warren Buffet who made this $5 Million dollars last year?

You should be able to buy and develope a lot of domains since that is just a 2 way split. :hehe:

•••
you have all of these domains at auction and 95% of them are really lame and unpronouncable. huge strings of lame and unpronouncable domains. then you read this forum and how they are all great and you have all these terms for how to describe a 54 letter unpronoucable word with 5 dashes in it lol its just obvious
Show us those auctions, because anyone who knows the business knows there are no names like that that sold for big money at Auction

http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

And are we using your definition of lame ? Again hysterical

•••
Hello Foot, meet Mr. Mouth.

•••
equity im going to pm you in a year and you are going to laugh that you were questioning my credibility when i was a noob. and i'll probably laugh about some of my opinions, thats cool. everybody is always learning.

•••
PokerPie said:
equity im going to pm you in a year and you are going to laugh that you were questioning my credibility when i was a noob. and i'll probably laugh about some of my opinions, thats cool. everybody is always learning.
Until you tell us abut the $5 million dollars you earned last year I question your credibility now. Your posts are barely coherent.

•••
You know, when you have an 80+ post thread, and everyone in it is responding that you are standing in poo up to your neck, don't you think it might be time to think that you might be wrong?

There really is no need to continue this.

Your statement is this: "You guys are in business, but it isn't right, or fair, and shouldn't continue."
The reply has been this: "This is how this business works. Supply and Demand is a key business principle."

You are basically the kid who got to the party late, and while everyone else brought chocalates, you could only find lemon drops.

•••
brackis said:
Michelle Wie is kinda cute, and very rich!

I wholly agree. :hehe:

Development is obviously a great idea but I'm sure everyone's got their own plans in the line. :music:

•••
No I am not questioning anyones credibility, I love how people come into a forum with no anything, and call people names and tell them how to do things. Of course someone could be successful in another line of business but be new to domains. That does not mean they do not have a high business acumen. In this industry though you have done nothing so maybe you should do something and then talk and try to give your opinion instead of stating your opinion as fact. This is a subjective business, there is no one way to do anything in the domain business. If your focus is development then you are not a domainer you are a web developer. There is a big difference.

•••
Diabro said:
Until you tell us abut the $5 million dollars you earned last year I question your credibility now. Your posts are barely coherent.

ya well i dont really care what anybodys opinion is is the point

•••
PokerPie said:

I haven't seen all your posts but it seems like someone desperate to see the market slow down so you can actually purchase your interested CVCV's for cheap. It is not going to happen, the boat had actually left the shore. There is still time to catch up but please don't tell other people they are wrong. If it is one person then it may be the case, but there are hundreds of people and more than just NamePros forum.

If you believe what we do here is wrong, then you see an opportunity that you should really take advantage of. Go ahead and invest in models.tv like domain names and make the .tv and other TLD domainers happy.

For now, I think I am happy to see the market where it is today and where it is headed. There is a lot of opportunity out there to make money in domaining world.

I spend less than 1 hour every day (lately only) on domaining. Today I grabbed RebuildAfrica.com for $7.50US. To me, that one name is enough. I am not looking to flip that for what it's really worth today (low xxx). I am going to hold it and maybe even build a site on it and sell it when time comes.

So don't count all domainers in the same basket. This is my view and I will not comment further in this thread because it's really not worth my time.

-NK

•••
PokerPie said:
:hehe:

•••
I actually think he made some good points and people shouldn't be so quick to dismiss them. Ok, I don't agree with some of them but its an interesting point of view at least.

2C x

•••
PokerPie said:

Cool, can I have your parking space?

•••
"If your focus is development then you are not a domainer you are a web developer. There is a big difference."

I'd like to be a domainer. I'm learning. Pretty fast I think, I bet I know more than most people do after 4 days :)

•••
You'd think you would have picked up sarcasm rules and how to not irritate others long before then.

•••
michelle-wie-2006.jpg

brackis said:
Michelle Wie is kinda cute, and very rich!

•••
2Cunning said:
I actually think he made some good points and people shouldn't be so quick to dismiss them. Ok, I don't agree with some of them but its an interesting point of view at least.

2C x

ya thanks. thats all it was really. i knew when i posted much of what i said would be proven wrong. i was just sharing my opinion that i had after studying for four days, now i have a new one and tomorrow i'll have another.

<it might be my top secret strategy to troll forums to extract valuable information quicker...this thread is a gold mine of information for me for instance :hehe: im done now though, no more instigating out of me>

•••
PokerPie said:
"If your focus is development then you are not a domainer you are a web developer. There is a big difference."

I'd like to be a domainer. I'm learning. Pretty fast I think, I bet I know more than most people do after 4 days :)
What is your portfolio? You get Models.TV yet?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back