Dynadot

discuss Do you know a lot of people making millions flipping domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Thinking deep about the domaining industry, I was wondering how many people do I know or the industry has, who are making a killing by flipping domain names..

While we all know about domain millionaires like Mike Mann, Michael Berkens, Rick Schwartz, I was wondering how many others would be making a killing flipping domain names.
Not talking about the trend hypes like the Chinese trend etc which made some millionaires, I still wonder if enough people are making a killing flipping domain names!!

Anything that you would like to say on this?
This is a broad question and may have varying view points. Looking forward to some of those.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Except these domainers above, also are Monte Cahn and Frank Schilling.

•••
•••
The primary winners in the domain industry are registrars, registries and those selling domain auction or development services to domain "investors." Collectively IMO there is more money lost by domainers "investing" in domain names than there is earned by those rare end user sales.

•••
While we all know about domain millionaires like Mike Mann, Michael Berkens, Rick Schwartz, I was wondering how many others would be making a killing flipping domain names.

The people that you are referencing starting buying and selling domains in the 90's. They were trendsetters and there was far less overall interest / competition. Most aspiring domainers are still ruminating over .coms that 'The Greats' purchased for a few dollars +20 years ago.

The China trend validated investors who bet on short L and N .coms. Seasoned investors are content living in their .com utopia. I can relate as the owner of a handful of aged .coms. But, I also believe that investors that bet smart on short, meaningful cctlds / gtlds will win big in the long term if they can tune out the haters.

•••
The people that you are referencing starting buying and selling domains in the 90's. They were trendsetters and there was far less overall interest / competition. Most aspiring domainers are still ruminating over .coms that 'The Greats' purchased for a few dollars +20 years ago.

The China trend validated investors who bet on short L and N .coms. Seasoned investors are content living in their .com utopia. I can relate as the owner of a handful of aged .coms. But, I also believe that investors that bet smart on short, meaningful cctlds / gtlds will win big in the long term if they can tune out the haters.
agree with you they all are millionaire buying domain in 20 year ago that is why now a days they become millionaire.

•••
There are plenty of successful investors who are not the poster boy type that everyone knows about. Some take it to the more extreme and hide all their holdings and never make a sale public. But it takes money to make money, its very unlikely to make big $ out of almost nothing.

•••
I think most of us here make make millions flipping domains....

Just depends what millions we are talking about here :)

If we talking Zim dollars then, we are all making BILLIONS...

•••
they O.P. is targeting the core question
if somebody flipping domains fast
for a small or not so small profit
has ever become wealthy doing so

( versus holding long term )

at least thats what I understand
and what I would like to ask

•••
I am making Millions of Zimbabwean Dollar a day.

•••
I am making Millions of Zimbabwean Dollar a day.

trolling helps nobody
the main question is about domain strategies

so please try to be constructive

Last edited:
•••
I don't know anyone making millions flipping domains, nor do I personally know anyone selling domains other than people I meet online.

If making millions flipping was easy, NP would be blowing up daily with sale reports and big ones! :)

Sure I am aware of the big sales, long time domainers but that's an exception for the most part IMO.

Last edited:
•••
99% of people don't know many people making millions.period(this is my answer to the thread title).

•••
In response to " know a lot of people making millions flipping domain names ", nope,I don't, just the dozen plus names that have appeared for years in articles and posts who seeming made millions.

Likely there are some portfolios of domains " tucked away " or in active use that are worth in aggregate a seven figure buyout but that differs a bit of course from active flippers / sellers.

And I always try to remember the investment of dollars and time and resources committed by those who made millions and, the financial risks taken by the seven figure folks.

•••
guys I don't know about you
but I understand the O.P. question like:

"does somebody make real money flipping domains?"

at least thats a question
i would be interested in

•••
i doubt anybody is making making millions flipping....

they make make a million here or there from investing and waiting for right buyer.

from my perspective, the term flipping and investing are not synonymous

flipping is short term holding and turnover thru liquidation

investing, is pretty much the opposite

not saying someone can "flip" their way to a mill, just saying it ain't happening overnight.

imo...

•••
I know a few people making millions from domain sales. It takes a lot of domains to pull in that kind of money consistently (> 5,000 good-to-great domains).

The big domainers in domain parking (and the parking companies) are making millions, but not from sales.

•••
Like @biggie said there are not many making millions flipping. Michael Berkens made millions by being patient and eventually getting the portfolio sale. The best flippers are few and far between, I think Andrew Rosener is one of the best when it comes to flipping.

•••
@Addison How do you think How much can earn on good one word .com domain and two words .com domain? As I know one word .com domain great for big sale but for parking earning - two words .com domain. Or one word .com domain also generates big revenue from parking?

Last edited:
•••
There are many that's for sure. Most of them prefer to stay private.

•••
I am a private party but lets just say my reg fee keyword dot coms tend to got XXX to X,XXX often. not enough to say millions though.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back