Domain Empire

I think you guys are making a big mistake

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Are domainers making a mistake?

cliffs notes at bottom

ok so i studied long and hard for probably 30 hours over the last three days. i think the advice on www.domainnewbie.com and much of the advice on this board is really short-sighted and wrong.

this is the hypothesis i have formulated which i'd like feedback on. if im wrong, tell me why.

the advice passed around on this board, boards like it and by the various gurus, primarily boils down to telling people how to get good at flipping domains. how to select domains that will be highly liquid on the open market, which you can sell for a fast profit.

true or false?

ok well to me thats a retarded strategy unless you just have some aversion to getting a normal job, or you think you can make more doing that than you could doing something else...or because you like the perks of domain flipping over another job etc. those are all fine ends, but those are not the only ends.

i have a deep love affair with the internet, web 2.0, businesss 2.0, technology and all it can do for us as humans. i express that love by taking part in the revolution that is taking place all around us. i build websites and products and services i think people will like. isn't that what a domain name is for? to build something on?

if i have a choice between these two domains:

models.tv

and

wie.com

i would take models.tv in an instant

sure i'm probably going to pay less for models.tv, but this isn't about money, its about which one i can develop into a better site some day, or which one somebody else might make into a great site by leasing the domain from me or though some kind of partnership. its not about which one appeals to a broader market of potential buyers. great artists don't decide what to paint based upon how many people might buy their painting. in fact many of them were ridiculed until after their death! i think the same will happen with domainers. once you guys stop churning domains with each other and making money for sedo, godaddy and paypal, the market for all these stupid domains will hit the floor. you want to know what end users think about qkft.com? they think its lame unless their company happens to have those initials

cliffs notes

good domain selection should be based on how usable a domain is by an end-user, not on how likely you are to flip it to another domainer

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"they are rare because there will never be any more"

Ya I've read that. But what you guys dont get is NOBODY CARES. You guys are all fixated on this 'omg omg omg are LLLL's the new LLL's??'

what you dont get is that the end users dont give a ****. nobody cares that xql.com is taken cuz nobody wants that domain just like nobody wants Sperm-Doctor-Jobs.info

they are both useless to end users, save for a very small group of people. the only value i see in having rjxl.com is that Rogers Jackson Xiang Loberg might come to you someday and try to buy it for their law firm. But since its going to be worth so much money in 20 years when they come to you to try to buy it, they'll just pass and get rogersjacksonxiangloberg.com instead.

thats the same value Models.tv has. Somebody might really really want it someday, just like rjxl.com. The difference is, models.tv is good and easy to remember, but rjxl.com is easy to pass on cuz it looks like dookie and is confusing. so really it should be worthless....but this scacity thing is so important to you guys.

Last edited:
•••
PokerPie said:

Ya I've read that. But what you guys dont get is NOBODY CARES. You guys are all fixated on this 'omg omg omg are LLLL's the new LLL's??'

what you dont get is that the end users dont give a ****. nobody cares that xql.com is taken cuz nobody wants that domain just like nobody wants Sperm-Doctor-Jobs.info

they are both useless.

:yell: I was going to bed but im gonna stay up ...

•••
PokerPie said:
If you are terrible at marketing how can you expect to be able to tell me what a good domain is for a website developer?
I am not a very good football coach but I can tell you that Ladainian Tomlinson is a very good football player.

BTW, with a $200 K I could market wie.com better than models.tv.

Mark said:
I can take 220k and make somethingmadeup.tk a popular site ... But I don't suggest it.

I really suggest you do alot more reading.
I agree.

PokerPie said:

they are both useless.
If you were a good marketer you could find the value. :imho:

xql.com would be nice because sql is a tech keyword.

•••
PokerPie said:
The .tv is damned near a positive thing to a marketer and to a web surfer! The only ones who seem not to get that are you guys =/
I can appreciate your 'fresh' look at domaining, but please don't inject a blanket statement like "you guys don't get it". You haven't had the experience to understand what we understand.

For example, I agree that models.tv is indeed a nice edgy name. I would never develop it for public consumption however (unless I owned the .com version as well), because I 'understand' that the population at large thinks only of .com. You can promote and brand models.tv to your heart's content, but you'll automatically lose at least 30% of your advertising revenue to the owner of models.COM (and in the process build your competitor's business).

Last edited:
•••
warren buffet has an interesting saying that i always consider in times like this.

something about when everybody is headed one way, you should head the other. but when a tsunami is coming at you, everybody is headed one way as well, does that mean you should walk into it?

•••
PokerPie said:
warren buffet has an interesting saying that i always consider in times like this.

something about when everybody is headed one way, you should head the other. ?

Not normally me but ............ bye then :wave:

•••
good post and point gene. i'm trying to inject enough times here that i know im a newb so that you guys can hopefully overlook when i forget to qualify certain things etc. thx for all the feedback. im going out for a few hours but will be happy to continue arguing when i return :)

ps the mods can edit any of my posts if they find something i've said offensive or too all encompassing...such as 'you guys' type statments. i realize they are not accurate, just trying to get my point across in as few words as possible

Last edited:
•••
I would walk into the tsunami because odds are I'd get killed either way, but if I were to survive while running INTO a tsunami I would be a global legend who could peddle a book and make the talkshow circuit rounds.

Last edited:
•••
PokerPie said:
. im going out for a few hours but will be happy to continue arguing when i return :)

Why :-/ we dont need to argue

•••
brackis said:
I would walk into the tsunami because odds are I'd get killed either way, but if I were to survive while running INTO a tsunami I would be a global legend who could peddle and book and make the talkshow circuit rounds.

LOL

•••
We're all up for a good debate :)

But I think all posts need to be in a polite and professional manner.

•••
Gene said:
You can promote and brand models.tv to your heart's content, but you'll automatically lose at least 30% of your advertising revenue to the owner of models.COM (and in the process build your competitor's business).
Great point that I keep forgetting.

•••
Ok, so basically what you're saying is you'd rather develop a domain than flip it... which is fine. However, that doesn't make flipping "retarded," it just makes it not your cup of tea. I make more money flipping domains than I make at my day job, which certainly doesn't seem retarded to me.

•••
PokerPie said:

something about when everybody is headed one way, you should head the other. but when a tsunami is coming at you, everybody is headed one way as well, does that mean you should walk into it?

Just to let you know the information that is shared is a general understand of the business. Most people that have found a good way to make money from domaining is not going to share this information with anyone. I know i would not because that would cause saturation in the "Way" i would be going. To your understanding we are all going the same way and to be frank with you most of us are not doing the EXACT same thing. For instance i have put money to invest in domaing for the long run and for flipping as well as development, as you can see with ygrab.com. Also i have invested in the liquid part of domaining such as LLLL.coms and LLL.in. Which i believe builds me a strong portfolio. You could compare my domain portfolio to a 401k plan so to speak. You have my safe investments(LLLL.coms) somewhat high risk investments (development and LLL.in) and you have my high risk investments (long term domain holding)

I believe i have a fair understanding of the domaining industry but i am far from being an expert in the area such as Frank Shilling. I have along way to go and A LOT more reading.

I have been trying to be really helpful in this thread but you keep just bashing everyone for no reason. If your take on the industry is development then go ahead develop to the end of time and make a lot of money. That is your choice.

We here at namepros are here to help not to flame on people. So if you want to hear our opinions on a subject we will try to help as much as possible. At namepros we can offer OPINIONS and EXPERIENCE. Take the information how ever you want and apply it into whatever situation it is best formatted into. Just please be polite. Everyone has their own opinions on a subject and yours is a valid one but dont flame on us for our opinions.

•••
There are many pros and cons about each type of domain.

This forum is about primarily Domain Flipping apposed to Domain Development. Sure .tv is currently more focused on development at the moment, but if alot of people go for names such as gvuifgahoaoa.tv then even that market could form and would be worth flipping for.

It depends what interests you. If you dont like LLL's then just.. dont buy them!

•••
Some people like to build cars. Others like to drive them.
Some people like to flip houses, others like to become landlords.

:::shrug:::

Last edited:
•••
Tivo said:
We here at namepros are here to help not to flame on people. So if you want to hear our opinions on a subject we will try to help as much as possible. At namepros we can offer OPINIONS and EXPERIENCE. Take the information how ever you want and apply it into whatever situation it is best formatted into. Just please be polite. Everyone has their own opinions on a subject and yours is a valid one but dont flame on us for our opinions.

:tu:

•••
PokerPie i can see what you are saying, but i think people should be allowed to make their own decisions as to which way they go, some are flippers some are developers but at the end of the day ,each to their own imo.

i must venture out from .tv land more often :) i am glued to this thread.

Last edited:
•••
Prime example of differing opinions already in this thread ;)

Traffic leakage as stated by Gene - 100% spot on. I own and have interest in developing some .tv's - But most any marketing I would do at this point would only be via my time ... I wouldn't sink much actual cash into advertising. Yes "Time is money" - But it's my time. I'd build a site and submit to a few engines/directories and possibly exchange links with a few relevant sites. After that - Fresh content would have to drive it. I like my traffic to be as natural as possible more or less - So I know what I've got and what I can do to monetize it. The same goes for a few other extensions - .info .us etc ... I'm not afraid to Dev them - But It would probably have to be a .com for me to spend a ton on marketing/advertising.

Is my opinion wrong ? To many people , It probably is ..... But it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

As far as the "Nobody Cares" statement ..... :laugh: :laugh: - Thanks, I needed a good laugh. The market for LLL.com's says otherwise. And no ... they aren't all being sold to other domainers.

•••
Ferret.TV said:
PokerPie i can see what you are saying, but i think people should be allowed to make their own decisions as to which way they go, some are flippers some are developers but at the end of the day ,each to their own imo.

Very intereSting thread though, i must venture out from .tv land more often :)
My only problem with what he is saying is that he is stating it as a fact that there is only one true way to do things and any other way is wrong. It just so happens that his way would benefit him most now. A business person cannot go around and say “This is the way it should be”….unless there is some huge injustice or social issue…..they have to adapt to the way things are. Too many of my friends wasted their potential worrying about the way things “should” be….not the way things are. :imho:

•••
Ferret.TV said:
i must venture out from .tv land more often :) i am glued to this thread.

Don't stay out to long, the mind control wears off and you won't want the red cool-aid anymore.

•••
TheBulldog said:
Don't stay out to long, the mind control wears off and you won't want the red cool-aid anymore.

Lol, i know i am sweating up and hallucinating already

•••
Ferret.TV said:
Lol, i know i am sweating up and hallucinating already
HAHAHAHA! :tu:

•••
OK rewinding alittle here..

Pokerpie first off welcome. I see you are new around :)

Namepros is full of information shared by many domainers over many years. Your views are as valid as anyones.

:hi:

•••
PokerPie said:
if i have a choice between these two domains:

models.tv

and

wie.com

i would take models.tv in an instant

sure i'm probably going to pay less for models.tv, but this isn't about money, its about which one i can develop into a better site some day,

This sounds illogical to me. You have a choice between two names and you'd take the one which is worth less. And to say it isn't about money lol

As far as development goes that is very different to domaining. Domaining involves making money from the domains themselves not your development skills. We are talking about two quite different business models here.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back