Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

opinion I quit domaining

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

Bongs100

Established Member
Impact
40
Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

Year started domaining: 2016
Number of domains registered: about 40
Total spent on domains: +- $300
Number of domains sold: 1 (in 2017)
Total amount made in 2 years: $400
Profit: $100
 
9
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
I have read on domainsherpa about a domainer who lost $300,000 on domaining because he failed to learn before embarked on buying and regging domains. But after then he became a profitable domainer.

If it is because of your loss that you are tending to quit; well it is not a good excuse but if you are saying of lack of experience before buying domains; that should be your fault, because domaining is like every other good business where you need to learn before embark on spending your money.
Just cool down and learn more better strategies before regging or buying any domain again.

Everybody here has a peculiar bitter story to tell you before becoming profitable.

Well! I wish you good luck in which ever steps you decided to embark upon.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
You are right.
I will do the same thing.
I have nice 2 word domains like "CoffeeBrunch.com" and I cannot sell them even for $150.
After you look at Namebio or DNjournal and you realize that domains like yours or less nice than yours are selling for over $5K.
It's always the same thing.
The domainers with a name like Schwartz, Chilling, Mann and others are selling domains with big prices even sh*t names..
And you you cannot sell EMD domains.
Example:
I don' t manage to sell "CryptoTechnicians.com" for $300 .
These domainers will be able to sell It for over $10k !!!!!!!
It's a big scam.
I am fed up with all this sh*t.
I am gonna to quit this sh*t business...

NOTE: I began in 2007 (over 10 years) and I lost over $30,000 !!!!!

good buy

that was not easy.
 
1
•••
Now I have a big portfolio with valuable domains.
You sure about that ? And how big ? Big means big renewal fees. They have to be offset by sales revenue.
Domainers all think they have outstanding names and they are very often infatuated with their portfolio. But it's up to the end users to judge.
At least 99% of registered names have no resale value anyway, and will never sell.

If you have great names, then you should receive inquiries and unsolicited offers from time to time. If you never received any in 10 years, then your names suck or are just too niche to sell.

I have read on domainsherpa about a domainer who lost $300,000 on domaining because he failed to learn before embarked on buying and regging domains. But after then he became a profitable domainer.
I think you're talking about A Rosener.
But indeed, I would guess the majority of successful domainers have lost money in the beginning. You have to learn from your mistakes, the sooner the better.
So if you lose money in the first year, it doesn't mean you will never be a good domainer. You have to learn from your mistakes (and the mistakes of others), you have to learn what kinds of names end users want, and then acquire the right type of inventory. Inventory is what drives sales.
Everything else is details.
 
10
•••
From a statistical viewww its definitelyyy a good decision to quit domaining.
If you want to stay, you better ignore statistics.
 
1
•••
Jumping the ship is never a choice I look down upon. Good luck in future!
 
0
•••
I think you're talking about A Rosener.
But indeed, I would guess the majority of successful domainers have lost money in the beginning. You have to learn from your mistakes, the sooner the better.
So if you lose money in the first year, it doesn't mean you will never be a good domainer. You have to learn from your mistakes (and the mistakes of others), you have to learn what kinds of names end users want, and then acquire the right type of inventory. Inventory is what drives sales.
Everything else is details.
I was talking about the fish monger, but I can't remember his name right now, It was a very sad story and very interesting at the end of the story.
Yap that is domaining for you. When it hit you hard you don't run and you gonner hit it back heavily. Yap it should be kind of A tit for tat!
 
Last edited:
0
•••
The difference in winning and losing is most often... not quitting.
 
4
•••
This is different. From my experience, Amazon sellers wouldn't buy their category domains neither inbound nor outbound. I don't know why. Whenever i have time and budget, i develop such domains myself. You can sell profitable sites for much much more than domains.

Thank you for your advice.
Best.
 
1
•••
You sure about that ? And how big ? Big means big renewal fees. They have to be offset by sales revenue.
Domainers all think they have outstanding names and they are very often infatuated with their portfolio. But it's up to the end users to judge.
At least 99% of registered names have no resale value anyway, and will never sell.

If you have great names, then you should receive inquiries and unsolicited offers from time to time. If you never received any in 10 years, then your names suck or are just too niche to sell.

I think you're talking about A Rosener.
But indeed, I would guess the majority of successful domainers have lost money in the beginning. You have to learn from your mistakes, the sooner the better.
So if you lose money in the first year, it doesn't mean you will never be a good domainer. You have to learn from your mistakes (and the mistakes of others), you have to learn what kinds of names end users want, and then acquire the right type of inventory. Inventory is what drives sales.
Everything else is details.

I just hand registered dropped domains.
A lot of domains were over 14 years old.

Example:

GraphicsProcessor.com

etc...

I can wait ...

Best Regards.
 
0
•••
Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

Year started domaining: 2016
Number of domains registered: about 40
Total spent on domains: +- $300
Number of domains sold: 1 (in 2017)
Total amount made in 2 years: $400
Profit: $100
This is not a domaining at all... just some activity for fun...
Real/mature domaining starts from 1K domains...
 
1
•••
0
•••
I consider myself a domainer/end-user. I have paid end-user pricing for domains I have to have but have also built a portfolio of valuable domains I have a plan to build out or sell depending on offer/situation. I don’t recommend buying to sell but rather buying domains you understand the market for and leaving the option open to sell. My strategy has been to get into a niche market I know. I do this because I have an advantage in knowledge and it allows me to build a template that can be reused across multiple domains. Buying random domain names to resell is a risky investment imo. Buying property to build on is less risky but still leaves the door open for offers on your unused land if you can’t refuse the return.
 
11
•••
Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

Year started domaining: 2016
Number of domains registered: about 40
Total spent on domains: +- $300
Number of domains sold: 1 (in 2017)
Total amount made in 2 years: $400
Profit: $100

While this is clearly a game of words and language, it's also a game of Math. With volume domaining, sales are a function of quantity.

You need 2% sales rate per annum, this is the average standard rate at which to make a profit.

Taking an average holding of 25 over the two years (which could be wrong) with a few scenarios:

Year One:
0 / (25) = 0%
Year Two:
1 / (25) = 4%.
1 / (35) = 2.86%.
1 / (40) = 2.5%.

In Year Two in all scenarios you are ahead of the average.

I get the feeling that you think the sale was an outlier, and the rest have little chance of selling...but Year Two says you are above the average if that calc. is correct.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
Last edited:
1
•••
There is a lot of bullshit outside. So many people bullshit. Many make a job, a process or a system more complicated to stay relevant or for some unidentified end.

You need to depend on yourself and learn to work on your self evaluation of people and circumstances.

Stop drinking the cool aid. The solutions to your problems are out there, but you will have to find them yourself. You will have to read a lot and most of all learn the ultimate rule; when money is involved assume everyone's motive is get as much of it as possible - deserving or otherwise.

So, what am I saying: simple doubt everything they tell you, only have interest in what they do or are doing and then ask "who gains the most from this action".
 
4
•••
If everything was about gains then the world is no place for good genuine people and probably there wouldn't be great forums like this or so much of free resources :)

I feel a USD 100 profit is good technically but you probably got frustrated along the way. To stem the frustration and if you are not a pure domainer (domains being your main business) the solution is to stay invested in domains which are either of inherent value (liquid) or that can be turned into a genuine business by you in your line of expertise. Only if you have the vision to see what a name can become can you stay in this business.

My learning curve (read as losses) IS huge to me but worth it as I assign it to gaining the knowledge and skills in this new industry when I stepped in. Surprisingly most of my "bad buys" are registered by someone else especially "Huge Domains" :ROFL::ROFL:! That wasn't discouraging but showed me that I did have a knack for picking them up. My strategy quickly evolved into only holding names that I see a clear business model with and/or multiple uses. If I wouldn't spend the type of money I am asking for if I was in the client's place I don't hang on to those names. Being a little ruthless while culling your portfolio is also a needed skill. The one I missed the bus on was doing quick flips... even now... coz it does take effort right? Effort should be put where there is fruition and I don't blame the hundreds who come into this line with shiny eyes and then get disappointed. There are different levels of domaining, know where you stand and handle it (especially your expectations) accordingly :)

best,
Anita
 
Last edited:
11
•••
I wouldn't suggest you to quit. In fact, try to evaluate your strategy and see where you went wrong with your domain investing. Making the most out of domains is not a piece of cake these days and it takes knowledge, insight and skills to be successful.

I have been investing in domains since 2009. I stopped for a while and then restarted in 2014. I am not an active domainer but I also wouldn't call myself a domain flipper (selling domains for fast cash). Instead, I am more like domain investor with long term goals. I intend to invest in domains that I find of quality and for which I can wait till I get the right price. I sold my first domain in 2015 at BrandBucket for $2,595. Sold my second domain via inbound inquiry this year for $15,000. That's right, I have sold only two domains so far but I am happy with the results considering my investment and profit margin. I have a portfolio of just over 100 domains; all dot coms. I have tried outbound for couple of geo domains but never had any success. So I am now more focused on marketing my domains to medium businesses instead of small ones.

The point of sharing my story is to tell you that if you have the knowledge, skills and insight, and you know what you are doing, you will certainly win; sooner or later. Just be consistent with what you are doing.

I am not saying that I am an expert domain investor and you should listen to me, just wanted to motivate a fellow member who is near to giving up.

So my advice to you is, never give up, stand up and keep trying.
 
13
•••
Sounds more like you had a go learning lucky was only 40. I have owned thousands of domains. The good thing about lotto is you have had a chance of making a million to one . If you believe it is down to luck then it maybe hard to disprove however like card sharks in casinos there are skilled domainers who know what they are sitting on and know how to negotiate. If you buy second or third best domains you wont be contacted.
 
1
•••
Most domain investors are attracted to the perception of easy money. The reality is much different. Today I received word of a sale via Go daddy for a .com domain I registered ten years ago. Sales price less than $500. Given that I have dropped more than 75% of the many domains i have registered, backordered or won in auction over the years, a low $XXX payday does not do much to change things. I will NOT be spending that money to acquire new domains.
 
2
•••
Most domain investors are attracted to the perception of easy money. The reality is much different. Today I received word of a sale via Go daddy for a .com domain I registered ten years ago. Sales price less than $500. Given that I have dropped more than 75% of the many domains i have registered, backordered or won in auction over the years, a low $XXX payday does not do much to change things. I will NOT be spending that money to acquire new domains.
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: flexible LTO options. Close more domain deals with financing.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back