opinion I quit domaining

Spacemail by SpaceshipSpacemail by Spaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

Bongs100

Established Member
Impact
40
Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

Year started domaining: 2016
Number of domains registered: about 40
Total spent on domains: +- $300
Number of domains sold: 1 (in 2017)
Total amount made in 2 years: $400
Profit: $100
 
9
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
My advice is to probably stay away from hand regs unless you really know what you're doing. I personally would have invested the $300 in higher quality domains that are known to have potential endusers when you check sites like namedroppers
 
3
•••
Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

Year started domaining: 2016
Number of domains registered: about 40
Total spent on domains: +- $300
Number of domains sold: 1 (in 2017)
Total amount made in 2 years: $400
Profit: $100

I started in 2015

Lost $400 to start
Lost another $400 after that
Added another $400
Again silence
It's been 6 months no sales :(
I Was so discouraged i wanted to quit
The week I was going to quit.
Boom I got my first sale.
After that the sales just kept coming in.
And I kept learning and learning from that point on. Domaining has changed my life i work one a hour a day and have complete freedom. If i would have quit i wouldn't have became the domainer I am today.

If you aren't making sales its your strategy and the domains that you are buying. If you apply your self and stay committed and put in the hard work the sky is the limit.
 
30
•••
Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

Year started domaining: 2016
Number of domains registered: about 40
Total spent on domains: +- $300
Number of domains sold: 1 (in 2017)
Total amount made in 2 years: $400
Profit: $100

I can understand the frustration. One thing i started doing is really saving my money only for 1-2 word .com instead of buying a bunch of brand names etc. These I know will at least sell (hopefully for more than what I paid for).

I do want to mention some other businesses that are like domaining that you may find of interest:

Shelf Companies - its the same concept as domaining except you are registering corporations and letting it age to be sold later.

Trademarks/Patents - Registering trademarks and patents and then selling them (especially great idea when new words became popular and you register the trademarks for apparel eg. "Positive Vibes")

Websites - buying and selling websites on Flippa


#PositiveVibes
 
Last edited:
7
•••
Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

Year started domaining: 2016
Number of domains registered: about 40
Total spent on domains: +- $300
Number of domains sold: 1 (in 2017)
Total amount made in 2 years: $400
Profit: $100
congrats on the decision. Go find those good cryptocurrencies.
 
2
•••
Profit: $100

Profit? It took me years to get back my investment in domain names. But patience paid off very well.
There is no "get rich quick" in this business.
 
6
•••
I do sympathize. For me it goes like this:

- I get an idea, register closest available domain.
- Idea abandoned, but domain is too good to let go of, hold out for a buyer
- Wait a few years.
- Buyer shows up *maybe*.
- I get an idea...
 
4
•••
Domaining requires a lot of patience. Note that patience is not the same as stubbornness. Many domainers are stubborn, they cling on to bad names and never question their strategy. You need to reevaluate your portfolio, especially in the beginning, you need to get rid of the crap and increase quality.
So the majority of domainers are losing money.

I don't like to see threads like this, on the other hand domaining is not for everyone. Maybe it's best that you leave now rather than incur losses.

But I don't think you have been around long enough. The learning curve should not be underestimated and should be measured in years, rather than in months.
At least you didn't go overboard and spend 5 figures on crap names like some are doing. You've been reasonable but probably not dedicated enough.

Domaining is not lottery, success is determined 99% by domain quality, then 1% luck and 1% timing. Total: 101%.
 
24
•••
@Bongs100 Sorry to hear about your experience!
I would like to add that lottery and domain speculation is not comparable. At domain speculation, with the knowledge and the right strategy, you should be able to make higher investments profits compared to most of investment options. On the other hand, if you play lottery the odds are higher that you will loose all your money.
I'm pretty sure that if you would have in the same time invested the $300 in lottery tickets you would have lost all.
Therefor look at the bright side of it, you definitely learned a lot of new stuff and maybe made some nice contacts along the path. Wish you all the best!:xf.smile:
 
8
•••
I recently read somewhere that legendary domain Mike Mann recently gone cash-positive..!!

Food for thought..!!
 
5
•••
The only problem you really have is your expectations. You are actually doing very well and just don't realize it. My cash flow was deep in the hole my second year. The fact that you have a positive cash flow and your overhead is only the renewals for 40 domains is a sweet position to be in IMO. All you need now is to invest a few thousand hours of your time reading and learning how to pick better names.
 
2
•••
Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

Year started domaining: 2016
Number of domains registered: about 40
Total spent on domains: +- $300
Number of domains sold: 1 (in 2017)
Total amount made in 2 years: $400
Profit: $100


you can't quit

as you never started
 
9
•••
It does not cost anything to dream so go back to sleep.
 
1
•••
Don't quit yet



show us your domain names and then quit.
 
1
•••
D O N' T
Q U
I T

I started domaining in March, In this three month I sold 13 domains, with some loss in 1st month after that I at least get some profit from each one. Last month profit of $200.
I am thankful I am learning from all of you guys.
 
10
•••
May your decision be the best for you.
The "profit" you made did not pay off your invested time, at least not nowww


Domaining is a bit like diamond mining… …much effort for a possible find.
Maybe you will never find more than nothing, maybe you will find so much that you will never need nothing more.

BTWWW
The word "DOMAIN" consist 90% of the letters of the word "DIAMOND".
Is this a coincidence???

BTWWW #2
And the word "DOMAINING" consist 100% of the letters of the word "MINING".
"DOMAINING"
Another coincidence???

DOMAINING = DIAMOND MINING​
 
Last edited:
3
•••
Thousand and millions of domains available for registration but a good domainer first learn which type of domain is good for companies.
 
2
•••
Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

I whole-heartedly disagree. Domaining is closer to like playing the stock market or investing in real estate. It requires education and experience to be successful long-term (like practically anything else in life worth doing).

Plus, you did not blow a lot of money and even made a small profit on your first try. Most people that play lotto spend far more money than win (and over a long period of time).

In the early days I have registered a lot of poor names, but also a lot of really good names. If I only knew then what I know now. How things would be different. :(

I would rethink quitting. Nothing is more satisfying than figuring this domaining thing out to make profit on a consistent basis. ;)
 
Last edited:
4
•••
Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

Year started domaining: 2016
Number of domains registered: about 40
Total spent on domains: +- $300
Number of domains sold: 1 (in 2017)
Total amount made in 2 years: $400
Profit: $100
The one thing domaining has taught me ..........patience
 
2
•••
Patience Daniel San PATIENCE!!!!! Oh, I forgot to mention. I quit for four months back in 2008. Came back three months later LMAO!!!!


Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

Year started domaining: 2016
Number of domains registered: about 40
Total spent on domains: +- $300
Number of domains sold: 1 (in 2017)
Total amount made in 2 years: $400
Profit: $100
 
Last edited:
2
•••
Domaining is almost the same as playing lotto. I quit.

First, change this mindset, It's not a lottery.
If you had invested 300$ in a lottery and you win none you lose all the 300$
Here you have made your investment back and a profit, still you call this a lottery?
 
1
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back