IT.COM

discuss Domaining without a game plan; is it feasible?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Having been into domaining for long and reflecting on what and how I have done so far, I have realized that domaining is a game that works well when you have a game plan!

I have been 5-6 years into domaining and when I look back, I realize that my best year has been when I had a game plan and targets for the entire year. Here I how I played earlier and how I plan to play going forward:

2014: Started off in domaining with $50. 0 sales. No money made
2015: Had 7-8 sales in mid $$$ range. I tried flipping anything and everything I could
2016: $$,$$$ in total sales because of 3 decent size portfolio sales
2017: Took a break (scattered sales)
2018: $$,$$$(as far as I remember) in sales. Stopped doing outbound for a bit
2019: $,$$$. Stopped doing outbound. Only parked the names on the marketplace

2020:
The game plan is to start doing a combination of two things - get into geo-domaining, something that I know of and have been able to execute earlier.
Build a portfolio of .CO domains (1000 domains or so targeting a 1,000% return when the promo comes up in July).
Build another portfolio of 100 domains in a new but hot extension (maybe .io) to experiment and see how it goes.

This year, I plan to invest a total of 15 hours a month on domaining and plan to build portfolio and wait for inbound sales.

What is your plan for 2020? What has worked for you earlier? Any experience you share is highly appreciated!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My plan really never changes, first and foremost is self pleasure for me, reging and buying domains I like, buying and reging some to my in collection vault, the sales most usually take care of themselves as long as I am enjoying my names. I won’t buy outside of .com and .org 99.9% of the time, but that is just a personal preference with me.

Last edited:
•••
You should always have a gameplan or you don't properly track your money. You might think you doing ok and losing money instead. Plus accounting and taxes could be screwed up and create unneeded problems.

•••
Every pursuit and endeavor in life, irrespective of industry, requires a sound game plan to experience desirable results. It's hard enough to hit a target you have let alone one you don't have. The game plan has to be reviewed and revised regularly as most goals are moving targets.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back