Dynadot

Namejet & SnapNames - Advice Needed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AlexR

Established Member
Impact
A few of the domains I want are on the namejet list.

1) Is it worth adding them to pool, Pheenix, and any other services or is wasting time?
2) I heard this 'Snapnames = Namejet. Don't place a preorder with both or you're at risk of creating an auction even though you are the only bidder.'
-> is this true? Does this mean I should not place it in both?
3) What's the best way to grab a domain that's listed on namejet? When I check it in dropcatch it's never available there. I'm checking the namejet pre-release lists but it seems they're never available in dropcatch.
4) If it's in namejet prerelease - is it worth adding to a service like HExonet?

Any experts who know these different providers have any thoughts and can help a newbie out? :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If the domains are in prerelease they are only available from Namejet, because they are not deleting.
Check the registrar in the whois record if you're unsure.

•••
snapnames and namejet use the same set of registrar credentials to catch domains. Backordering on both does not increase your chances. When the domain goes to auction, you can see all NJ and SN usernames in that auction. When logged onto NJ, the SN usernames are displayed with an "SN-" prefix and when logged on to SN you see the NJ usernames with an "NJ-" prefix.
It's not really a risk, because the auctions are private, not public, so if you are the only bidder on both platforms you simply wait for the 3 days auction to end without bidding and you get the domain. However, it is pointless to do that, since you have the exact same chance of getting the name with just placing the preorder with one of them.

Last edited:
•••
Let me help you out Alex...

Prerelease domain names are domain names that have expired at one of NJ's long list of partner registrars. After a domain name is expired for a certain period, NJ will make the domain name available for bidding. These 'Pre-Release' domain names listed at Namejet can only be bid on and purchased at Namejet.

If a prerelease domain name does not receive a bid, then it goes through the normal drop cycle of redemption and then to pending delete. When a domain name is in 'pending delete' status that is when you can backorder it with a service such as Dropcatch, Pheenix or Namejet. At the end of the 6 day pending delete phase, the domain name will be 'dropped' or made available for dropcatchers to register.

Therefore do not backorder pre-release domain names currently listed at NJ. Place a bid for the domain name at NJ (wait until close to the end of the auction) or wait for the domain name to go into pending delete (if no one bids on the domain name at NJ). Once the domain name is in pending delete then you can backorder it normally with DC, pheenix, NJ.

I haven't used Snapnames in a while, but they used to be just like NJ with their own group of partner registrars that provide their inventory of pre-release domains.

Not sure how good Pool is for catching drops.

•••
Hi

First up, thanks to all for the detailed responses. It's much appreciated.

@tld - a couple of quick questions.
1) where do you see these prefixes? e.g. namejet. /Pages/Auctions/BackorderDetails.aspx?domainname=computercleaner.com. I can't see that anywhere.
2) Which is more popular? SN or Namejet? (I.e. which is watched more closely?)

@MD - thanks for the explanation.
1) Therefore do not backorder pre-release domain names currently listed at NJ -> I take it you mean with other services? Or even with NJ?

Extra Question:
1) Where can I find more lists of pre-release names? I.e. what other service providers offer these except SN & NJ?

•••
There is a site I go to sometimes called clickmojo. Under keyword popularity you can get list of names and what their status is pending delete etc. Hope it helps.

•••
You only see these prefixes in auctions for dropped domains caught by either NJ or SN that had at least one backorder on BOTH platforms. If you are entering an auction and there's no prefixes all your competitors backordered on the same platform as you did.
Not sure which is more popular. I think it doesn't make a difference. I simply use namejet since I knew them first.

Here's a screenshot and some more details:

https://www.thedomains.com/2016/05/...rder-you-can-windup-bidding-against-yourself/

Last edited:
•••
•••
I've been reviewing the domains I'm trying to catch.
I've added the same 10 to SN & Namejet.
I'm in 5 private auctions in Namejet and 0 in SN.

If they're the same how come SN hasn't caught any of them?

•••
So you didn't get a notification fron SN that these names were caught?

•••
•••
They may have fixed the double bidding issue by connecting the two client databases? After all it is the same company, so it's legitimate (and makes sense) to do this.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back