Dynadot

HUGE DOMAINS SNIPING GODADDY CLOSEOUTS

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So annoying Godaddy hasn't stopped Huge Domains from sniping Godaddy Closeouts with their automated tools, no way a human bidder can win a even closeout.

First they were sniping with the backorders, now you cut that out, and you are letting them snipe via automated tools.

So what do you say @Joe Styler , you want to even the playing field a bit, as your partners are bidding everything in a split second, from $12, to $11, and bidding everything else into the hundreds from a simple bid. I would rather pay a Huge Domains surcharge at checkout.

Huge Domains has an unfair advantage on the auction platform, essentially taxing every user for using it with their automated access advantages given to them thru the house.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree that proximity matters but "will not give that large of an advantage."

I only work with large sized, dynamic calls and full encryption due to the nature of the data.

When you work with highly redundant systems that always spit at an average delay, you can time calls ahead of time to fire and complete within a few ms of your target time.

True, but I would beg to differ that it doesn't give them a big advantage. Using common sense,there's a reason they're that close. That's no coincidence.

Secondly, you can time ahead all you want but there's no way knowing ahead what the RTT will be exactly. The smaller the distance, the more predictable/stable the RTT will be. That seems like a major advantage to me.

•••
something like this?
... stable multiple (cpu) servers which can handle higher traffic and different communications methods beyond just request-response <=> routing & authentication server (reg. Api ID) <=> GD API server/s.

•••
Good chance their servers are in data centers not their headquarters...I mean they could have build a data center in their headquarters but that's not usually how its done...just saying.

•••
True, but I would beg to differ that it doesn't give them a big advantage. Using common sense,there's a reason they're that close. That's no coincidence.

Secondly, you can time ahead all you want but there's no way knowing ahead what the RTT will be exactly. The smaller the distance, the more predictable/stable the RTT will be. That seems like a major advantage to me.

I agree, my main point is that no matter the latency, it is hard to pull the numbers of HD within the limits of the public API.

I just wanted everyone's suspicions confirmed because it's technically hearsay and conspiracy. Though, I think we all have an idea of what's going on in the back of our minds.

I'll say this because you'll probably be interested:

For the last few years, I've been working on predictive infrastructure with big data startups. It works almost like Google's Stadia.

We build and hold a ledger, cached on the edge, that generates predictions based on factors such as parse size, distance to servers, real-time connection speed, queue, CPU/RAM loads, etc. With this, we make inferences by comparing historic data to the current request.

We can predict with high accuracy what each dynamic call will entail, how long it will take, as well as predicting the typical flow of request-responses. ie: If Request-X can pull 200 variances of data in subsequent requests, but an overwhelming number of those requests pulled only 30 variances in the past, we can call these 30 in advance and have the data indexed or cached, ready to be served before a formal request was actually made.

One interesting startup took this and increased data center efficiency exponentially by ordering and timing requests to have a nominal effect on their infrastructure and active parses. They were able to do this because we can predict RTT down to single digit ms majority of the time.

(Typical AI, ML, neural net, buzzword here, buzzword here)

•••
something like this?
... stable multiple (cpu) servers which can handle higher traffic and different communications methods beyond just request-response <=> routing & authentication server (reg. Api ID) <=> GD API server/s.
Yeah, tough to achieve sub-40ms, even between neighboring server racks.

•••
right you have to be a partner i.e. reseller for an Afternic api we do not provide them to customers.
Thanks, and appreciate your efforts Joe.

•••
right you have to be a partner i.e. reseller for an Afternic api we do not provide them to customers.

Thanks for the info. I hope that changes in the future, but I won't bore you with my wishlist for AN.

•••
So I won a name for $541 today, which I am happy with, because I am also the end user.

But still this is what I find interesting from the bidding info revealed after the win.

Basically, from $125 on it was 913932 (HugeDomains) and 1495 that were bidding with me up to $541.

Anyone knows who 1495 is? Judging by number, must be a really old account?

I just found that those two were bidding a little in sync. For example, at one point bids stopped and I was about to win it at $216. HD waits until there are 5 secs left and bids extending by 5 minutes. So how does HD even do manual bids if its auto bid was already exceeded? And then if 1495 was out at this price, how does it come again in at $531 after HD stops at $511?

By the way, 913932 bid at $511 represented about 12% of the GD valuation for the name...

•••
Anyone knows who 1495 is?

Appears to be a domainer, their other wins on expired GD auctions do show

Registrant Organization: Virtual Point Inc.
Registrant State/Province: California
Registrant Country: US

Also, as per
https://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/20/udrpsearch-owner-sues-after-being-threatened-with-udrp/

Virtual Point sues after person threatens UDRP if it doesn’t sell a domain for $1,000.
The owner of UDRP database site UDRPSearch.com has filed a federal lawsuit (pdf) after being threatened with a UDRP

•••

Also, as per
https://domainnamewire.com/2014/06/20/udrpsearch-owner-sues-after-being-threatened-with-udrp/

Virtual Point sues after person threatens UDRP if it doesn’t sell a domain for $1,000.
The owner of UDRP database site UDRPSearch.com has filed a federal lawsuit (pdf) after being threatened with a UDRP

Thank you! Brilliant. Hope no affiliation or connection to HD still.

Other than that I guess they were planning to time it to under 5 sec then ))

Not a fan of that kind of sniping and wasting everyone's time. I like when it is over in 5-20 min total.

And, again, as an end user in this case would have paid triple of what it costed, but would have hated sitting their for an hour plus.

•••

Stupid question but how do you see what domains a certain bidder ID won? I won a name recently where I was in a bit of a bidding war with one other. I'm just curious to try to see who this other bidder was.

And speaking of old accounts, bidder 462 had a couple bids on it too...now that must be an old account to have a 3 digit bidder id.

Last edited:
•••
how do you see what domains a certain bidder ID won
If you participated in the auction, but did not win. The winners id will be shown. Whois after the domain was delivered to the winner. So, it may be possible to find out who this or that bidder is, assuming that they win something sometimes

•••
If you participated in the auction, but did not win. The winners id will be shown. Whois after the domain was delivered to the winner. So, it may be possible to find out who this or that bidder is, assuming that they win something sometimes

But there is no way to see what they have won unless I happen to have been in the auction too and saw it afterwards. That makes sense I guess.

•••
But there is no way to see what they have won unless I happen to have been in the auction too and saw it afterwards
Indeed, the search is limited to domains where your participated. There is no "guaranteed" way to see all domains won by a particular participant imo.

•••
Who are these people who keep paying so high for domains in GD expired auctions? I do notice the highest average sales prices for domains there. A random 4L might catch even 10x the price in expired than if it were auctioned by a user.

I understand that HD always bids these up, but why do people keep paying for it if they can get the same or similar quality for less elsewhere?

Also, why does HD not bid up user auctions? Why not sites other than godaddy? I can't make sense of any of this.

•••
If a single buyers actions raise the wholesale prices/value of domains or at least a certain type of domain, could that be viewed as market manipulation?

•••
Any idea which programming language is best for such bot?

•••
Any idea which programming language is best for such bot?
As near as "computer's language", so someting in the style of C, C#.. would be faster than a simple PHP script sending one query at once and waiting for result
But.. you still need API access - which is not granted as easily as we think
If you are not currently active and spending ..., chances to get the access are small

Gube

•••
Thanks @Gube,

I undertand that API access is a matter of asking but probably you are right

So if it seems the way, people should have to use a bot too

But it would be better if bots would not be permitted

Last edited:
•••
Do they use a different bidder ID now? Or was I lucky that they didn't bid on the auction?

EDIT: 2 domains, seems like no Huge Domains.

EDIT2: Nope, they're there 10 secs later...

EDIT:3: Nope, not their ID again.

Last edited:
•••
1) The last 5 GD auctions which I DIDN'T win, HD got them all.
2) The last 5 auctions that I DID win and someone else bid against me, HD was bidding on 4 of them. :xf.eek:

•••
I am really frustrated by people placing initial bid on godaddy. always result in price going so high.
dont get me wrong, I do actyually tax them for putting a bid. I think they stand better chance getting the domain in closeout vs trying to place a bid

•••
so frustrating

Last edited:
•••
•••
Was waiting today for following domains to hit the closeout but then the buy now $11 link never appeared. Only the auction-ended notice. I would not mind if it was a fellow domainer with a faster-finger but I am pretty sure it was the bot.

ultraneo.com
greensafari.com

Cant get a domain during the auction coz people and bot will bid it up like crazy and cant get it after the auction coz of the sniping. :rage::rage::punch::punch:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back