Dynadot

HUGE DOMAINS SNIPING GODADDY CLOSEOUTS

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So annoying Godaddy hasn't stopped Huge Domains from sniping Godaddy Closeouts with their automated tools, no way a human bidder can win a even closeout.

First they were sniping with the backorders, now you cut that out, and you are letting them snipe via automated tools.

So what do you say @Joe Styler , you want to even the playing field a bit, as your partners are bidding everything in a split second, from $12, to $11, and bidding everything else into the hundreds from a simple bid. I would rather pay a Huge Domains surcharge at checkout.

Huge Domains has an unfair advantage on the auction platform, essentially taxing every user for using it with their automated access advantages given to them thru the house.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
well im going get my popcorn warmed up for February 1st - should be an interesting show

•••
Seems like the only option we have left getting fine domains at reasonable price is to :spam: the h@ll out of poor domain owners BEFORE expiration -_-

Last edited:
•••
If you put a bid in within the last 5 minutes of an auction when there are no other bidders, the HD bot is almost always awakened and starts bidding you up like crazy.

How does this happen?

I think it's because GD allows API users like Huge Domains to track changes in the number of bidders. Only the few people with API access can easily track this information.

It's bad enough that GD gives only a few select people access to the API -- in itself a huge advantage in the aftermarket.

Why does GD go one step further and encourage API users like HD to bid based on other users activity?

•••
How does this happen?

I think it's because GD allows API users like Huge Domains to track changes in the number of bidders. Only the few people with API access can easily track this information.

Eh... yes and no.

I could create a HugeDomains bot in 2-3 days, probably less; without API. I can track the number of bidders without incrementing the count, and did so for years with a tidy profit. As people watched domains they were essentially (unknowingly) crowdsourcing the best daily picks for the 5-10 people who could see the data (example).

That still goes on today, but right now it's just brute force money being thrown at domains that wins them.

So right now, bot or no bot, GD expired aftermarket is not where to be.

HD got smart and just places a $12 bid on every name of value, so there goes sniping. Now the closeouts are absolute trash and $50 - which encourages people to bid against HD up to $100-$200+ for low-mid tier names. Most people think they are competing for a good name and not fighting against a bot.

GoDaddy allows their behavior because they know it drives up the overall price, and they benefit.

Companies ban bad behavior when it harms them, but they nurture it when it benefits them. We are seeing that in real time right now.

Bottom line right now - if you can build the bots and see a snapshot of the market it does give you an advantage, but not much because they are fighting with dollars now instead of speed and research.

•••
Have noticed huge is bidding up to $500+ on subpar names now, really upping the ante, or making people pay.

•••
Have noticed huge is bidding up to $500+ on subpar names now, really upping the ante, or making people pay.

Maybe they are really trying to discourage people to bid for future auctions and give up early so that HD can have a "monoply".

•••
I second what people mentioned above. In order to understate the fact they drive up significantly prices I actually went back to check some of my drops recently on GD which were picked up by HD. I usually let go some names I consider too niche or based on other factors. As you can see not the best names...

All below names were picked up between 5-11 USD by me on closeouts in the last 2 years it is easy see they overpay most of the time.

Ghost/Connection.com 300
Ignition/Soft.com 165
Career/Moon.com 104
Gas/Future.com under 100
Article/Home.com under 100

However their business model certainly works with this "quality" as well as they simply adjust prices which leaves us with amazing quality on the actions/closeouts now with 50 starting price.

Last edited:
•••
i was dumb to think things have changed placed a bid on a name with 0 bids and 10 seconds left lo and behold an automatic bid was placed....

•••
I was rather shocked to "win" a 4L .com auction last Friday without a fight.

So-called Western premium. Holiday weekend advantage?

Last edited:
•••
they need another category for their auction membership fee, lol, basic auction membership $4.99, w/o huge domain beating you at auction $8.99. lol, hahaha. :)

•••
there is a law in the USA against monopolies, is Huge Domains in the USA?

Last edited:
•••
they need another category for their auction membership fee, lol, basic auction membership $4.99, w/o huge domain beating you at auction $8.99. lol, hahaha. :)
i would pay 20$ just to have hugedomains banned from participating ^^

•••
•••
i would pay 20$ just to have hugedomains banned from participating ^^
not a bad idea, kinda of like protection with godaddy being the blockhead thug coming around, "yo, you got your payment this week?" lol

•••
•••
Maybe they are really trying to discourage people to bid for future auctions and give up early so that HD can have a "monoply".
see above. ty.

•••
rofl a google ad about undoing blackmagic first thing that pops up when i google hugedomains
takes me here https://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=umanas&e=com

hd.png

•••
@The Durfer not big enough for the us government to come crashing down on

•••
•••
I was rather shocked to "win" a 4L .com auction last Friday without a fight.

So-called Western premium. Holiday weekend advantage?

In my experience 4Ls are the easiest to win in GD auctions. I think HD and other bots avoid 4Ls for some reason.

•••
In my experience 4Ls are the easiest to win in GD auctions. I think HD and other bots avoid 4Ls for some reason.
That's surprising. I was wondering if there's a pushback now with 4L at ~500 USD. Obviously there are higher wins (still mainly talking about Godaddy here).

Last edited:
•••
Impossible to win any GoDaddy auctions. Now I know why. "Huge" waste of time!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back