IT.COM

Namepros message to GoDaddy's CEO at Namescon

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Everyone will be in the same building, how easy is that?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Easy

votes
    61.5%
  • Too easy

votes
    23.1%
  • Hard

votes
    15.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Windoms

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

You know as GoDaddy's CEO will be at Namescon.
If we are really serious about it.
We could get @Bob Hawkes to deliver a message to Mr Bhutani.
Like the official namepros community (domainers) representative.
Since it's a domainer's conference.
And namepros being the main spot for domainers.
We could easily have someone deliver a message on behalf of domainers.
Someone trustworthy, immune to external influences, and bribery.

Our message:
we want GoDaddy landers and free Whois privacy with discount club lol.
I'm dead serious.

Slow payment, apparently good for fraud protection, crypto payment, let's try to not mention those non-essential points. It's a large corporation.

Keep it simple. Like 3 points.

100% GoDaddy branded landers.
Free Whois privacy with discount club.
Something else.

I suspect he will have 2 bodyguards.
@Joe Styler @Paul Nicks

2 bodyguards which could be our door to Mr Bhutani, if the namepros community is dead serious about conveying its official message through @Bob Hawkes

As a new CEO he must be curious or willing to learn about domain investing or something.
Don't think he's ever returning to Namescon after that lol.
Sometimes stars align. I believe this is our chance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You know as GoDaddy's CEO will be at Namescon.
If we are really serious about it.
We could get @Bob Hawkes to deliver a message to Mr Bhutani.
Thanks for thinking of me, but due to family reasons I am not able to attend NamesCon 2020. It is too bad since I would have loved to attend so many sessions, including that by the GoDaddy CEO.

I actually like the idea you have in a general way though. Are there issues that NamePros members could achieve a consensus (challenging! :xf.eek:) and if so have a forum like NamesCon to present them orally and with a support document to try to influence the industry on which we depend.

Bob

•••
Thanks for thinking of me, but due to family reasons I am not able to attend NamesCon 2020. It is too bad since I would have loved to attend so many sessions, including that by the GoDaddy CEO.

I actually like the idea you have in a general way though. Are there issues that NamePros members could achieve a consensus (challenging! :xf.eek:) and if so have a forum like NamesCon to present them orally and with a support document to try to influence the industry on which we depend.

Bob
Too bad.
But you are right.
Achieve a consensus, and have someone present them orally with support documents.
We are namepros by the way, we have weight.
17 days.

•••
Yes!

get rid of $9.99 Godaddy Privacy

Saying “Discount Club” is like Costco, doesnt help
@Rob Monster, arent you Seattle? You should know Costco, more than anybody.

Nice try make, Free Privacy- not monthly or 500+ dns

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Fine.
But let's please focus on coming up with a list.
Instead of talking about things that could discourage everyone and kill the idea.

''Free whois privacy is a bad idea, instead let's do this''.
instead of
''He's never doing it he's never accepting our requests''.

•••
Fine.
But let's please focus on coming up with a list.
Instead of talking about things that could discourage everyone and kill the idea.

''Free whois privacy is a bad idea, instead let's do this''.
instead of
''He's never doing it he's never accepting our requests''.

you dont understand, heard it all, GD defenders will say
“it’s like the Costco business model” with Discount Club

Strongly disagree, (lipstick on pig, and i love Costco!)
different industries, tangible, intangible; apples- oranges.
i’m strongly in favor of this idea, good luck! While u at it,
try to get him post more in NP ;)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Wish you success!

GD Ceo seems like a good guy! Would be so cool, if you could come out of conference with changes!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I wish you success!

GD Ceo seems like a good guy! Would be so cool, if you could come out of that conference making changes!

Samer
Yes he's cool.

•••
Sorry if offtopic, but the process of preparing a message from members to mr. Bhutani immediately remineded me of this /by Russian painter Ilya Repin/ ;)
Zaporozhian Cossacks are writing a letter to the Turkish Sultan.
It definitely makes sense to try though.... Who knows, maybe he will at least read it.

ZpHzRya.jpg

Last edited:
•••
I think this is perhaps a unique time to possibly influence the company.

I want to think a bit before listing three things, but agree that the idea of keeping the list short and very clear is a good one.

And of course being realistic, with ideas that could be win-win both in long term good for GoDaddy as well as domainers.

I hope we will hear many different ideas and see consensus around a few of them.

Bob

•••
Main point should be branding Afternic as Godaddy......

•••
1. Get rid of "discount club" and just price competitively instead of charging astronomical fees for everything.

2. Don't allow any API access to the expired auctions so it's fair for all.

Apart from these two things GD is pretty good really.

•••
He will be there with some time on his keynote to take questions from the audience. I also asked, and we will see, if he can stop by our booth for an hour or so and answer anything customers have to ask. Also there will be other GoDaddy executives there as well and I am sure anyone would be happy to listen to customer feedback. Paul and I will be there in a non bodyguard capacity and open to any feedback as well.

•••
Get rid of "discount club" and just price competitively instead of charging astronomical fees for everything.
For me the discount club is fine, I am quite happy with it. For one payment per year you get a very competitive price.

Last edited:
•••
For me the discount club is fine, I am quite happy with it. For one payment per year you get a very competitive price.
But other resistrars offer better prices without any payment. I just think 18 bucks a year renewal takes the cake so to speak and if you own only a few domains you're not going to pay to be in the club.

•••
But other resistrars offer better prices without any payment. I just think 18 bucks a year renewal takes the cake so to speak and if you own only a few domains you're not going to pay to be in the club.
Yes but requests like this are too big.
You are talking about disrupting their business model.
Let's just find things that can easily be implemented, without asking for too much.

Free whois with discount club would cause many domains to go to GoDaddy instead of Namecheap or competition.
If you have $8.29 .com with discount club, free privacy, GoDaddy landers, I see no domainer going elsewhere. And all the web designers and business customers registering domains on behalf of clients would use GoDaddy instead of alternatives that offer free whois privacy.

They look at their data, how many domains in discount club are using privacy, how much they are losing to competition, and take a decision.

Main point should be branding Afternic as Godaddy......
I fully agree.

•••
He will be there with some time on his keynote to take questions from the audience. I also asked, and we will see, if he can stop by our booth for an hour or so and answer anything customers have to ask. Also there will be other GoDaddy executives there as well and I am sure anyone would be happy to listen to customer feedback. Paul and I will be there in a non bodyguard capacity and open to any feedback as well.
Great.

That being said and with all due respect @Joe Styler ,
We never know, he might be dizzy or tired after his speech and leave before answering any questions.
Opportunity too big to miss, I strongly advise we make sure our message gets delivered.

•••
Here would be some thoughts I have personally on areas that I think could be of interest to both GoDaddy and NamePros members.
  1. Probably the most important single part of their operation for domainers is Afternic. I think it can be even better with better integration with the GoDaddy brand, more choices for landers including the option of showing a BIN price or having people call/email an agent for a price, some system of verification of ownership at time of listing and automatic re-verification any time a movement from one registrar or another.
  2. Advertising. GoDaddy are the masters of advertising and their strong growth over the years has been, partly, due to that (also it seems many great people and some smart strategic decisions). At least here in Canada almost all advertising is centred around getting started with a website. I think many people overlook aftermarket options because they do not hear them advertised. I think some advertising centred around effective aftermarket acquisitions on their platforms would encourage others to look into the aftermarket, and that is good for domainers.
  3. While not I hope under-estimating how challenging this is for a large corporation, I wonder if there might be room to use NamePros as a sounding board for new ideas and potential changes before they are set in stone. I really liked the DNW podcast a while ago with Andrew and Shane discussing mainly common sense little things that would make GoDaddy better. For example, expired auctions are important to domainers, and many have suggestions on possible changes to make the GoDaddy expired auction process work better for everyone.
Thanks again for thread @Windoms and for your response and participation @Joe Styler. Best wishes to everyone for a stellar NamesCon 2020!

Bob

•••
So who's going to be in charge of diplomacy?

Apparently the only person who will be there is @Recons.Com
You know the top negotiator who mainly uses GoDaddy with over 3000 domains there without any plans to move despite all the flaws.

Along with @.X. who will be there for one day
And @Rob Monster , who cannot be our spokesman because of conflicts of interest (lemonade).

We need to choose someone.
Of course it could be @Joe Styler . But I think it's best if the message gets conveyed by a domainer with lots of Godaddy experience and relevant success. External feedback.

Remember, it's a domainer's conference.
We are the #1 domainer spot.
We have influence.

•••
Here would be some thoughts I have personally on areas that I think could be of interest to both GoDaddy and NamePros members.
  1. Probably the most important single part of their operation for domainers is Afternic. I think it can be even better with better integration with the GoDaddy brand, more choices for landers including the option of showing a BIN price or having people call/email an agent for a price, some system of verification of ownership at time of listing and automatic re-verification any time a movement from one registrar or another.
  2. Advertising. GoDaddy are the masters of advertising and their strong growth over the years has been, partly, due to that (also it seems many great people and some smart strategic decisions). At least here in Canada almost all advertising is centred around getting started with a website. I think many people overlook aftermarket options because they do not hear them advertised. I think some advertising centred around effective aftermarket acquisitions on their platforms would encourage others to look into the aftermarket, and that is good for domainers.
  3. While not I hope under-estimating how challenging this is for a large corporation, I wonder if there might be room to use NamePros as a sounding board for new ideas and potential changes before they are set in stone. I really liked the DNW podcast a while ago with Andrew and Shane discussing mainly common sense little things that would make GoDaddy better. For example, expired auctions are important to domainers, and many have suggestions on possible changes to make the GoDaddy expired auction process work better for everyone.
Thanks again for thread @Windoms and for your response and participation @Joe Styler. Best wishes to everyone for a stellar NamesCon 2020!

Bob

1. I agree.
The BIN option is a must. As for current brokerage ns3 ns4 form/call phone number landers, they could stay, but as another option (we can choose). We need the BIN type. The brokerage type, and another make offer type.
On Uniregistry when you receive an inquiry (people filling the name and phone number form), you get two options, click one button and negotiate yourself, click the other button and send the lead to a broker. You even get to see the whole conversation. It is a marvelous platform.

3. Great idea.
@Joe Styler is doing a great job at solving issues and letting us know what is happening. But I feel it's one way communication. Not his fault, it's just the way things are set up, currently.
They need to be able to implement our suggestions and feedback. It would only make them better.

GoDaddy Q3 2019 Earnings Results

Q3 earnings.JPG

What is the Domain Discount Club?

If you register a lot of domain names, our Domain Discount Club can save you a lot of money without catches or gimmicks.

We recommend this product to anyone who frequently purchases domain names or who already manages a large portfolio of domain registrations and wants to save money. Maybe you look at domain names like real estate investments, and you want to save money on future purchases. Maybe you run a company that owns a lot of intellectual property, and you just want to make holding on to your domain assets more affordable. Regardless of your situation, the Discount Domain Club is here to help you save money.

Discount club is mainly used by business customers.
It would make a lot of sense to add free whois privacy to discount cub.
It would drive lots of business customers who are currently using namecheap 3rd biggest registrar, and others.

Keep the ideas coming.

•••
@Bob Hawkes I just realized you were incredible.

TV ads would help so much.
GoDaddy digital real estate education.
It would get rid of all the stigma, and make domain sales much easier.
Sound business move for them.
Since the aftermarket has become the primary market for good domains, they should definitely emphasize on it, as the world's largest registrar.
They've started making youtube videos on selling domains, we're on to something.
Great idea.

Free whois privacy is more important than the discussion place :)
imo.

15 days

•••
Mr Bhutani won't be announcing he's cracking down on domainers.
Here is the new GoDaddy homepage, seems like they want to pamper us.

Shoot your ideas.
It will only make them better.
They are trying to be better.
The CEO will be there in person.
I think we could give more than 3 suggestions.

GoDaddy1.JPG
GoDaddy2.JPG
GoDaddy3.JPG
GoDaddy4.JPG

•••
Has this always been there (with picture and pricing)
Second picture is what it looks like on GoDaddy Canada

GoDaddy USA
tech.JPG

GoDaddy Canada
tech 3.JPG

Attachments

• tech2.JPG
    tech2.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy is focusing on aftermarket domains.
We're saved
Domain broker? Unless they changed something (not an easy task to retreive whois email anymore), it was always a series of emails like

We have an offer for <...>.
We've got a client interested in buying your domain. Please open this email to view and respond to their initial offer.

... and providing a platform for an exchange of offers between the owner and the potential buyer, should a response be received. They also send transactions >$5K to escrow .com, so a number of sales sales may not be completed (or even started) as the result.

Hopefully they already changed something at this domainbuy service, or will change soon...

Last edited:
•••
While their domain buyer service at that price was always offered when those searching for a name entered a name not actively for sale (e.g. if the person just had it parked without a sale listing), I don't recall the image and appearance as you show, but I might be remembering faultily.
Thanks for pointing it out.
Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back